• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
hh98uK4.png

June 12th - July 13th

Brazil

2v2v7lz.jpg

--

As you know I am a big fan of football so I of course will be watching, anyone else going to be watching? I will be supporting England as they are my nation, hoping we can do better than usual this year. We've got a tough group but I think if everyone performs to the standard that they can than we will be able to get out of the group.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Yay football!

Will obviously be supporting England but not massively optimistic. We've got a tough group to get out of, Italy are never ones to roll over and die & Uruguay features Luis Suarez in the form of his life.

If we do get out of the group, we should make it to the quarters at least. We've got a good group of players this year, it's just a question of whether Hodgson is wiling to unleash them or be his usual careful self.

Brazil are definitely the favourites to me. The expectation that team will have to win on home soil will be unreal, other teams may be better (Spain, Germany) but I doubt they'll have the motivation the Brazilians will have.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I think the climate may be a big factor in who wins which is why I'm thinking a South American side will win it.

Hopefully someone snaps Suarez before the World Cup and becomes a national hero.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
As per usual I have no "home" country to cheer for since Canada, Scotland and Ukraine aren't in. Therefore I defer to my normal fallback and cheer for vacation favourites Argentina and Honduras.

Argentina looks to be pretty safe in the group stage, can't say the same for Honduras though. Hopefully the tournament will be great, regardless of the winner.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Argentina have got a huge advantage in the group stages with them being used to the climate and none of their matches falling at a dinnertime as the conditions then have been described as "inhuman"

Postman Dave

Reaction score
In case you've been living in a cave, here's the England squad:

England squad:
Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Attackers: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

Standby: John Ruddy (Norwich City), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC).

BBC Sport

Nothing overly controversial, nice to see Hodgson taking a risk and going with youth and inexperience. Only 5 players over 30 and only 6 played at the last World Cup.

Only possible area for debate is up front IMO.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Cannot wait for the World Cup, squad looks alright so hopefully we will be able to get out of the group.

I think the lack of expectation will work in our favour this year.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
There's places that aren't England?

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Got a £10 on 3/1 odds for Brazil. Can't wait for this to start now, I'm ready for drunken summer evenings watching the footy.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
First England game is gonna be the best with the pubs staying open later, plenty of drinking hours before.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Less than 2 weeks to go, getting properly excited now. The wall chart is officially up

e5eqery3.jpg

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I'm so excited, it's getting ever so close.

How are you watching the first England game? I'm watching it with a few mates, hoping for a cracking victory.