• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

World Championship Wrestling 2000: Fighting For Survival

Stojy

World Championship Wrestling 2000. Need I say more? A company once primed to take over the wrestling world, established from the glory days of the NWA, to dominate the ratings with the emergence of the NWO and a television show formatted like no wrestling program before it (Nitro). Now here we stand well into the last quarter of the year 2000, coming off the most tumultuous month within the most tumultuous year in the company's history. In April, Kevin Sullivan was relieved of his booking duties, and placed at the helm was the unlikely alliance of Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo. Initially there was some hope, with the early times of The Millionaires Club vs. The New Blood showing promise. Dramas continued to bring the company down though, with Scott Hall falling out with management, Bret Hart was to find out that he’d be forced to medically retire, and Hulk Hogan had quit due to issues with Russo. Bischoff had also seemingly disappeared, his partnership with Russo not panning out to his liking.

At the beginning of October, WCW attempted to hit a relatively fresh market in Australia, touring and taping television for two weeks. The shows were deemed a success in terms of ticket sales, but the idea wasn’t sustainable. Poor creative direction and egos continued to cause further friction in the locker room. An increasingly erratic Scott Steiner was sent home, Kimberly Page had filed a complaint with human resources, Sonny Oono and Hardbody Harrison filed a racial discrimination lawsuit, and Juventud Guerrera nearly overdosed on a mix of ecstasy and crystal meth. Juvi’s extracurricular activity led to a scene with police at a Brisbane hotel, leading to his release from the company.

Having complete control with Bischoff sent home, Russo made some terrible decisions. These included putting himself over, getting himself involved in the in ring action, and awarding himself the WCW Championship. Not only did this lead to the lowest ratings for WCW programming in nearly five years, but it also led to him personally suffering a severe concussion. Although based on some of his booking decisions, one has to wonder if the concussion was already there. Anyway, the powers that be realized enough was enough, and they pulled the plug on Vince Russo.

It was a hell of a ride and a short one, but after Halloween Havoc the previous evening, on the morning of October 30th, 2000, Russo was officially released from his duties as head writer for WCW.

With a wealth of industry knowledge still on the books, a decision was made to turn to some of the old heads and in essence the past, to help fix the mistakes of the present, and improve in the future. Not only that but Ted Turner decided that business decisions would be further monitored by employees in his office. Things like talent signings and purchases, resulting in heavy expenditure would need to be approved by them.

The new booking committee consisted of Arn Anderson, Dusty Rhodes, Ed Ferrara, Mike Tenay, Paul Orndorff and Terry Taylor. The first decision that the group made, somewhat of a reboot. They understood that it may hurt for the next episode of Nitro, but it’s expected to do wonders for the immediate future.

Tonight’s episode of Nitro required a complete rewrite, with scripts and storylines getting a complete overhaul. Everything coming out of Halloween Havoc would be restructured to suit the new booking committee’s aim, and not Russo’s. Communications were sent to WCW wrestlers of the changes immediately, with rather mixed results. Some of the timings may have been a coincidence, some directly related, but below are some of the immediate results:
  • Bret Hart officially retired via the Calgary Sun this morning
  • The following wrestlers requested and were granted release:
Evan Karagias
Mike Sanders
Rey Mysterio
Shannon Moore
The Wall
Vampiro
  • Realizing more roster decisions needed to be made for the company to be sustainable, the new booking committee decided to forcefully release the following
Asya
Brian Knobbs
Kendall Windham
Kwee Wee
Lash LeRoux
Paisley
Prince Iaukea
Reno
Scotty Riggs
Shawn Stasiak
Symphony
The KISS Demon Dale Toroborg
The Maestro
Tygress

The new era of WCW begins tonight on the October 30th edition of Nitro…

Roster post to follow whenever I decide to write it…

Stojy

Roster:
President:
To Be Announced
Commissioner: The Cat
Commentators: Bobby Heenan, Larry Zybszko, Mike Tenay, Scott Hudson, Stevie Ray and Tony Schiavone
Backstage Interviewer: Mean Gene Okerlund
Ring Announcer: David Penzer

Air Paris
AJ Styles
Alex Wright
Bam Bam Bigelow
Big Vito
Billy Kidman
Booker T
Brian Adams
Bryan Clarke
Buff Bagwell
Chavo Guerrero
Chris Candido
Chuck Palumbo
Crowbar
Curt Hennig
Daffney
David Flair
Diamond Dallas Page
Disco Inferno
Don Harris
Dustin Rhodes
El Dandy
Elix Skipper
Goldberg
Greg Valentine
Hugh Morrus
Ice Train
Jacques Rogeau
Jamie Noble
Jeff Jarrett
Jim Duggan
Jimmy Hart
Jimmy Yang
Jim Powers
Johnny Stamboli
Kanyon
Kaz Hayashi
Kevin Nash
Konnan
Lance Storm
La Parka
Leia Meow
Lenny
Lex Luger
Lodi
Major Gunns
Mark Jindrak
Meng
Midajah
Mike Awesome
Mike Modest
Miss Hancock
Norman Smiley
Pierre Carl Oulette
Psicosis
Rick Steiner
Ron Harris
Scott Putski
Scott Steiner
Sean O’Haire
Shane Douglas
Shane Helms
Silver King
Sting
Tank Abbott
The Barbarian
Torrie Wilson
Vincent

PPV Schedule:
WCW Mayhem, November 26th, 2000 – Milwaukee, Wisconsin – Wisconsin Centre Arena
WCW Starrcade, December 17th, 2000 – Washington, D.C. – MCI Centre
WCW Sin, January 14th, 2001 – Indianapolis, Indiana – Conseco Fieldhouse
WCW Superbrawl Revenge (XI), February 18th, 2001 – Nashville, Tennessee – Nashville Municipal Auditorium
WCW Greed, March 18th, 2001 – Jacksonville, Florida – Jacksonville Memorial Coliseum​

Mach

Of course looking forward to this Stojy - although I'm not sure I've ever seen a BTB start this late into the year 2000 before. The obvious starting points for me have always been either just after Souled Out (when Russo leaves the first time) or the infamous reset episode on April 10th.

Given the company is in a pretty diabolical at this point interested to see where you take this one given the potential of another reset episode and the booking committee in place.

DTP

Telling, telling time to start a new company. It was during the Australian tour in October 2000 where rumours were rampant that the WWF may actually purchase WCW from Time Warner. I don't believe that Ted Turner realistically would have given much of a shit about the management structure at this point in time, but it is an interesting angle to go with. I do like the idea of everything being rehauled in a way to save the company both financially and creatively. Getting rid of Eric Bischoff being out of the picture, and Vince Russo being sent on his way were no-braners. It's daring to have the likes of Bret Hart retire, and for household names such as Rey Misterio Jr. be granted a release.

As it's been said time and time again, it's a crucial time in the industry, with ECW on death's door and WWF closing in on another massive year of business. I'll hold my breath until we see more, as I'm very interested in how you might establish this product, and how things go beyond March 2001.