Wiz's Covers Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
This might be the one I've had the most fun with yet. I'm not the world's biggest Korn fan, but Here to Stay was the first song I learned on a 5-string bass, and I think I was 16 so this took me back. Lots of people hate Fieldy's tone, but to me, it's legendary. I think I did a pretty good job matching it. It was fun getting to play some slap bass again too.

I meant to ask earlier and forgot. What bass and guitar are you using? Also, again this was a pretty good cover. It did sound muddy, but there are a decent amount of Korn tracks that have a muddy sound, which is fine. Also, I think a lot of people hated Fieldy, and Korn in general because they are part of the Nu-Metal wave in the 90s, but I agree Fieldy's tone is awesome and something uniquely to Korn, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Black Wizard

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
I meant to ask earlier and forgot. What bass and guitar are you using? Also, again this was a pretty good cover. It did sound muddy, but there are a decent amount of Korn tracks that have a muddy sound, which is fine. Also, I think a lot of people hated Fieldy, and Korn in general because they are part of the Nu-Metal wave in the 90s, but I agree Fieldy's tone is awesome and something uniquely to Korn, if that makes sense.
Untouchables is a muddy album in general. Fieldy usually boosts the low and the high while completely cutting the mids, but on that album he has a less scooped tone which kinda fights for space with the guitar's midrange. I could have had less drive in the tone but it really helped getting that signature Fieldy click. I like it a lot, I can always respect a tone you can pinpoint the player with. Just like Dimebag, a lot of people will say his tone isn't good (and I agree until he dropped Randall solid state amps and started using Krank tube amps), but you know it's him playing immediately.

For guitars I have an Ibanez RG450DX for 6-string stuff, and an Ibanez RGA8 to handle the low tunings. The RGA8 is incredible except for the horrendous stock pickups, which I plan to replace eventually. Bass is a Peavey Cirrus 5 that had the stock pickups replaced with EMGs at some point, with an 18V mod.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Untouchables is a muddy album in general. Fieldy usually boosts the low and the high while completely cutting the mids, but on that album he has a less scooped tone which kinda fights for space with the guitar's midrange. I could have had less drive in the tone but it really helped getting that signature Fieldy click. I like it a lot, I can always respect a tone you can pinpoint the player with. Just like Dimebag, a lot of people will say his tone isn't good (and I agree until he dropped Randall solid state amps and started using Krank tube amps), but you know it's him playing immediately.

For guitars I have an Ibanez RG450DX for 6-string stuff, and an Ibanez RGA8 to handle the low tunings. The RGA8 is incredible except for the horrendous stock pickups, which I plan to replace eventually. Bass is a Peavey Cirrus 5 that had the stock pickups replaced with EMGs at some point, with an 18V mod.
Oh, I know Untouchables is a muddy album as Korn was kind of known in a way. Right, Fieldy's tone on Untouchables does sound a bit different from previous ones due to what you mention. Oh, I agree I like/can respect a tone that is a sigunure style of some like like you mentioned Dimebag's guitar tone. Right, but some people just hate Pantera because of reasons and will say his tone sucked no matter what he did.

Ah, nice choices.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score

I think I hit a wrong note somewhere and I get off time once or twice, but it's 4am, I'm stoned outta my mind, and my wrist hurts from re-learning this song.

I'll say it right now, Jason Newsted > Cliff Burton. Cliff was a better composer, but Jason is better as a player and a performer. It's a tragedy what Lars did to him, since he made the call to make the bass almost inaudible on And Justice for All. You can find the isolated bass tracks out there for some of the songs, and his basslines are a perfect match for Hetfield's guitar and would make the album sound so much bigger. So I figured I'd try to do it some justice.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Before, I listen to this, I have to ask one thing. Why uWu?

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Before, I listen to this, I have to ask one thing. Why uWu?
Because it's funny.

Something else I did earlier. Just a snippet of the song. Talked to a friend from high school the other day I used to play with and he mentioned wanting to cover For Whom The Bell Tolls. Since that came up, and it's a pedal I've wanted for a long time, I got a used Morley Power Wah Fuzz. It's THAT sound that is unmistakable. I just gotta get better at sweeping it, some of them are kinda sloppy. He's gonna play guitar since he's a much better guitarist than I, I've always been rooted in bass. And he knows someone who would do vocals, so eventually we're gonna have a full cover and I'll post that here too whenever it's done.

• Haha

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Once again, both covers weren't bad. I am not a huge Metallica fan, but they both sounded really though I would say I liked the Bass cover more just because you don't get those a lot, you know. Also, oWo

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Once again, both covers weren't bad. I am not a huge Metallica fan, but they both sounded really though I would say I liked the Bass cover more just because you don't get those a lot, you know. Also, oWo
Yeah I like doing the bass covers more than the full song ones. Partially because I'm not really a good guitar player, but I've always just liked playing bass more. Bass is so important to most genres of music, especially metal but unfortunately that's the genre it gets overlooked in the most. You're kind of the unsung hero of the band, and occasionally you do some crazy sounding shit, like For Whom The Bell Tolls.

I'm not the biggest Metallica fan either. And Justice For All just has some great basslines that you never really hear in the album mix so I always liked playing them. I might do Blackened if I can get that song down again, it's incredibly hard. Dyer's Eve is probably one of the hardest songs I've ever tried to learn and I've never been able to get it down.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Not really a request, but if you ever can't think of a song to cover. May I suggest 18 and Life by Skid Row just because I love the song personally.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Not really a request, but if you ever can't think of a song to cover. May I suggest 18 and Life by Skid Row just because I love the song personally.
I might learn it sometime. That's way out of my comfort zone and what I'm used to playing, but I think that could be fun.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I might learn it sometime. That's way out of my comfort zone and what I'm used to playing, but I think that could be fun.
I figured it was out of the ordinary things you did since it is a Hair Metal song, but I just thought it would be cool either way it is fine.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score

This one was fun. Dethklok songs are all really good and a lot of fun to play. Every single bass cover on YouTube of this song is wrong, and I'm about 95% positive this is note-for-note with the album. Playing songs like this recently to get my finger playing back up to snuff, every song I've posted with bass thus far besides Here to Stay has been with a pick, really gotta practice with the fingers more.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score

This one was fun. Dethklok songs are all really good and a lot of fun to play. Every single bass cover on YouTube of this song is wrong, and I'm about 95% positive this is note-for-note with the album. Playing songs like this recently to get my finger playing back up to snuff, every song I've posted with bass thus far besides Here to Stay has been with a pick, really gotta practice with the fingers more.

A Dethklok song in 2019? I can really dig it. Also, this does sound really close to the original and is the better version I have heard. So great f'n job on this one. Also, I couldn't help, but to laugh at "gotta practice with the fingers more" for reasons.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
A Dethklok song in 2019? I can really dig it. Also, this does sound really close to the original and is the better version I have heard. So great f'n job on this one. Also, I couldn't help, but to laugh at "gotta practice with the fingers more" for reasons.
Of course Dethklok in 2019. For music created for a cartoon about a death metal band, Dethklok has consistently pumped out very solid melodic death metal. Gotta hand it to the creativity of Brendon Small. I might do more Dethklok, maybe Crush the Industry off Dethalbum III since there's some really cool bass stuff in there I've picked out that is hard to hear in the mix.

I couldn't help, but to laugh at "gotta practice with the fingers more" for reasons.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Of course Dethklok in 2019. For music created for a cartoon about a death metal band, Dethklok has consistently pumped out very solid melodic death metal. Gotta hand it to the creativity of Brendon Small. I might do more Dethklok, maybe Crush the Industry off Dethalbum III since there's some really cool bass stuff in there I've picked out that is hard to hear in the mix.
I agree 100 with you, it is just odd to see a Dethklok cover in 2019 as they seem to have faded, which is sad for as you mentioned they, Brendon Small, made great death metal music, and the show was epic and fun as hell. Well if you do more, I will be here waiting to listen to it.