Why Wrestler's use Stage names?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ganesh Ujwal

Jobber
Reaction score
Why Wrestler's use Stage names instead of real name?
why undertaker, why not Mark William Calaway?
did anybody think, or else i am only guy asking this question?

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Because they are playing characters. It's like a play, or a TV show. Ted on how I met your mother is not really named Ted.

Reactions: PepsiPlunge07

leojay

Champion
Reaction score
Because Mark William Calaway isn't as marketable as The Undertaker.

Jonathan

Champion
Reaction score
Because WWE can't copyright/trademark their real names, which means if they put them on merchandise and such people could replicate them legally.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Copyright. WWE wants to own their workers.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Because their real names usually aren't the greatest or catchiest sounding names for the characters and gimmicks they're portraying. Imagine 'Shawn Michaels' always calling himself 'Michael Hickenbottom' instead of his current name. Or The Rock always calling himself Dwayne (Johnson) instead of 'The Rock' every time he referred to himself in the 3rd person.

On top of that, there's the copyright issues that have been mentioned.

Reactions: PepsiPlunge07

PepsiPlunge07

Jobber
Reaction score
Is this a legit question?

*SPOILER* (Seriously do not read on if you want wrestling to still be real to you DAMMIT)

Wrestling is scripted, paid athletes who act. Acting requires playing a character.

Also to reiterate what other users have said: Their real names are not marketable.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Is this a legit question?

*SPOILER* (Seriously do not read on if you want wrestling to still be real to you DAMMIT)

Wrestling is scripted, paid athletes who act. Acting requires playing a character.

Also to reiterate what other users have said: Their real names are not marketable.
The OP is from India. I'm not sure how well known or established wrestling is there. But I get that kayfabe isn't entirely broken over there from what I can gather.

PepsiPlunge07

Jobber
Reaction score
The OP is from India. I'm not sure how well known or established wrestling is there. But I get that kayfabe isn't entirely broken over there from what I can gather.

India has one of the largest populations in the World, Im sure they are aware of Wrestling. It really is, from other Forums many Indian posters are aware of Kayfabe and that the Great Khali is not actually that "great".

I see what you mean, casuals probably would not know about Kayfabe, but those Indians who post on a wrestling forum can't be considered a casual.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
as proven by ring ka king

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
India has one of the largest populations in the World, Im sure they are aware of Wrestling. It really is, from other Forums many Indian posters are aware of Kayfabe and that the Great Khali is not actually that "great".

I see what you mean, casuals probably would not know about Kayfabe, but those Indians who post on a wrestling forum can't be considered a casual.

deathclaw?

Reactions: Red Rain

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Copyright.. and also come on, some of their real names suck.

But some do use their real name, maybe not FULL including middole name and such but like John Cena, Jeff & Matt Hardy for example use their real first and last names.