Why the Internet Hurts Wrestling

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hannah Bee

PhilWres Babe
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Link HERE.

"The internet is hurting the business in so many ways. To start, WWE is wasting its time trying to get us to "like" them on Facebook or follow them and their wrestlers on Twitter. So instead of an interesting wrestling fact, we get some stupid fact like:

"John Cena has more Twitter followers then the NFL, NBA, and President Obama combined!"

When i see stupid stuff like this, I ask myself why the fuck was the internet invented."

"Forget the stupid facts after commercials, we see twitter hash tags all the time during Raw and Smackdown. They do pre-PPV matches on YouTube. They spend more time updating wrestler profile pages on WWE.com than developing its character as a wrestler. People, this shit is so bad, we don't even need to watch SmackDown anymore! We go to the INTERNET to find out what is going to happen 4 days before Friday. We find out about creative plans for wrestlers days before the next show. We know instantly as they happens before they want us to know when it happens.

And then you guys wonder why you are getting bored of wrestling. Its because we know what the fuck is going to happen in advance."

"Everyone can see what you think of, and most times, there are serious consequences. We find out about spoilers and all this stuff that should be concealed. But in all honesty, it ruins the surprise that comes with wrestling. When was the last time we were like "WOAH I did not see that coming." Sadly, I don't."

I agree with the author. But, how can I we live without the spoilers? It's a double-edged blade.

Thoughts guys?

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Great article, thanks for the link!

The show is so much better if you avoid the spoilers. (Except Smackdown. Nothing can save that shit, and it's nice to know in advance if there's a Justin Gabriel appearance.)

One thing to remember that comes of it is that dirt sheets are so unreliable. You have to take everything that happens with a grain of salt, therefore most of the stuff you read on there should be treated as things just to talk to us on this forum about. If it happens, great, if not, it's just more dirtsheet BS.

Although, you have to wonder if WWE plans so much fewer surprises out of fear that the internet will leak things. Then again, we knew Brock Lesnar was coming back, and did that ruin that moment? Hell no.

Reactions: Hannah Bee

Hannah Bee

PhilWres Babe
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Rainman said:
Great article, thanks for the link!

The show is so much better if you avoid the spoilers. (Except Smackdown. Nothing can save that s***, and it's nice to know in advance if there's a Justin Gabriel appearance.)

One thing to remember that comes of it is that dirt sheets are so unreliable. You have to take everything that happens with a grain of salt, therefore most of the stuff you read on there should be treated as things just to talk to us on this forum about. If it happens, great, if not, it's just more dirtsheet BS.

Although, you have to wonder if WWE plans so much fewer surprises out of fear that the internet will leak things. Then again, we knew Brock Lesnar was coming back, and did that ruin that moment? Hell no.

It's hard not to rely on spoilers for me, because RAW and SD! is shown late here in the Philippines, which sucks balls.

Some dirtsheets are pretty reliable, especially the big ones.

Brock coming back was an idea circulating a long time ago in the IWC. Maybe it was for you, but I was like, "Meh.". I don't know, maybe because I started in the PG era or because I wasn't too moved by his UFC career.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Just don't read the spoilers, it's your choice. Some might say they can't resist the temptation, but that is a problem of their own, not the internet. I doubt WWE would ever hate the internet as a whole, since they benefit from it in their own way.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
KevinLockard23 said:
Just don't read the spoilers, it's your choice. Some might say they can't resist the temptation, but that is a problem of their own, not the internet. I doubt WWE would ever hate the internet as a whole, since they benefit from it in their own way.

You can avoid spoilers and still have things spoiled for you just by being on Twitter or a forum.

Two obvious examples of this would be Punk tweeting out a pic of Heyman & being on this forum around the time Brock was rumored to return. Even if you weren't on dirtsheets reading the rumor you were going to read something about Brock being in Miami or having signed a contract.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
There is no answer to whether the internet hurts wrestling. There is no "yes it does" or "no it doesn't" because there's two sides. Internet helps wrestling just as much as it hinders it. WWE have used the internet better than most companies in the world. If you don't want to read spoilers, then don't go on sites where you can. "But Twitter?!?!?", don't go on Twitter if you follow someone who could spoil it for you.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Dolph'sZiggler said:
You can avoid spoilers and still have things spoiled for you just by being on Twitter or a forum.

Two obvious examples of this would be Punk tweeting out a pic of Heyman & being on this forum around the time Brock was rumored to return. Even if you weren't on dirtsheets reading the rumor you were going to read something about Brock being in Miami or having signed a contract.

Happened to me, I learned about Lesnar being there before the show... I don't blame the people who posted it though.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Crayo said:
There is no answer to whether the internet hurts wrestling. There is no "yes it does" or "no it doesn't" because there's two sides. Internet helps wrestling just as much as it hinders it. WWE have used the internet better than most companies in the world. If you don't want to read spoilers, then don't go on sites where you can. "But Twitter?!?!?", don't go on Twitter if you follow someone who could spoil it for you.

Obviously you can just barricade yourself off from the world if you want to avoid spoilers, but we have both agreed on a number of occasions that posting in a discussion thread is going to increase your enjoyment of any wrestling show.

Snowman1

Reaction score
I usually download the show off of Telly, save it to my phone, and watch it on the bus ride to work. Then check the dirtsheets afterwards. If you can do something like that, it may help with the spoiler issue. As Dolph's says, unless you take part in our wonderful discussion threads, you MUST watch the show over Youtube anyway.

Donald Trump_

WWEF Forums Sickest Member
Reaction score
Oh, and FYI, Twitter doesn't hurt WWE. Every sport is doing that now, NFL/NBA/MLB. They use Twitter so the fans can better connect with the players and just as a way of communication.

Snowman1

Reaction score
stephan1 said:
Oh, and FYI, Twitter doesn't hurt WWE. Every sport is doing that now, NFL/NBA/MLB. They use Twitter so the fans can better connect with the players and just as a way of communication.

NFL/NBA/MLB doesn't have a dumbass commentator talking about it every 10 seconds.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
stephan1 said:

Comparing WWE to real sports is pointless. There is no such thing as a spoiler when you are watching real sports live. CM Punk spoiled Heyman's return.

Rainman said:
NFL/NBA/MLB doesn't have a dumbass commentator talking about it every 10 seconds.

And this. Can you imagine Al Michaels plugging a different players twitter account after every play or constantly updating you on what was trending? puke

Donald Trump_

WWEF Forums Sickest Member
Reaction score
And who gives this info away of all this backstage stuff and storylines?

Asskicker

Champion
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Theres also another thing spoilers do. Creative responsible for Smackdown know that spoilers come out the next day so they can't ever pull off a good show people can be excited for without ruining the surprise themselves. The surprise factor plays such a huge factor in a show.