Why the Cruiserweight Division failed the first time around and why it will fail this time around

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WarMachine1

Bringing the Internet Pain
Reaction score
With the Cruiserweight division returning, here's why it failed and why it was gone for so long.

1. They had those who were supposed to be in the Cruiserweight division be punching bags for the main eventers

2. The division was mostly booked and treated as a glass ceiling for smaller guys, with none of them really being allowed to reach their full potential. (except for Rey Mysterio)

3. Lesnar stomped all over the title on worldwide television.

4. They put the title on a midget and they pretended that we thought it was funny.

and now with it coming back, it will fail for these reasons.

1. Vince McMahon is in charge of Raw, and as a result, he won't know how to book it.

2. It doesn't matter how over the talent is. If they're classified as a cruiserweight, they will be forced to work with the cruiserweight guys, even if that means losing momentum and credibility in the process.

3. AJ Styles and Seth Rollins will obviously be wrestling for world titles. Meanwhile, bigger guys than them (such as Apollo Crews) are gonna be forced to only wrestle for the inferior cruiserweight championship.

4. Cole and JBL will be calling these matches instead of Mauro and King

DK JAMES

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
akiratozawa
The past is the past. It may have failed before but that doesn't mean it will now. They have 3 hours for RAW every week. i'm sure they can find a way to keep the division relevant and credible every week with all that time. I'm personally excited for it, cruiserweight matches were always exciting even if they did mean nothing in retrospect. I'm sure things will be different this time around, this is just pessimism right here.

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
I have faith in this decision, at least for the first couple of months.

Firstly, there's more cruiserweights than women. So it's better it is on Raw. On SD you'd have about two CW matches with the time restraints, which would leave so many guys unused. Or at least misused.

Secondly, look at the CWC. I know Triple H is at the helm of it, but if that's how it plays out on Raw then I'm all for it.

I also really like the decision of the women being exclusive to SD, if it ends up like that. They've been rebuilding it, and Ryan Ward taking the lead is best for business. They can really mean something on SD, even main event an SD PPV.
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense since Steph "created" the revolution, but that's just WWE for you.

Reactions: DK JAMES

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
Lol at people still have faith in anything WWE does. Ya'll never learn.

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Said first couple of months okay. They at least try before giving up. Doubt I'll watch live anyway so eh.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
3. AJ Styles and Seth Rollins will obviously be wrestling for world titles. Meanwhile, bigger guys than them (such as Apollo Crews) are gonna be forced to only wrestle for the inferior cruiserweight championship.
You do know that WWE actually used a weight limit for their Cruiserweight title. If I remember it was 220 Lbs, back then and is now 205 Lbs. Uhaa and AJ are both above that weight limit. Rollins isn't, but that doesn't mean he's limited to the title.

2. It doesn't matter how over the talent is. If they're classified as a cruiserweight, they will be forced to work with the cruiserweight guys, even if that means losing momentum and credibility in the process.
That was never the case. If you get over enough, you will undoubtly move up. Look at guys like Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero. Even in WCW, they went from fighting each other into facing guys like Kevin Nash, Raven and other bigger stars. It was much more easier for people in WWE, where guys like Chavo Guerrero went on to hold bigger titles like the ECW world title.

4. Cole and JBL will be calling these matches instead of Mauro and King
:bischoff:
1. Vince McMahon is in charge of Raw, and as a result, he won't know how to book it.
:bischoff:

Last edited by a moderator:

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Just because something failed before. Does not mean the same will happen if you come at it with a new approach. The landscape in WWE back in 2008 and now are so vastly different. 2008 WWE was a body industry where having muscles alone got you on TV. This division is obviously being helmed by Hunter so I am willing to give it a go. To throw it to the side just because before they've even had a shot is just going to keep playing up the stereotype that wrestling fans are whiny babies that are never happy.

Also @Roadster, Rollins is billed at 217lbs on WWE.com. So he's quite easily above the cruiserweight weight limit.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Just because something failed before. Does not mean the same will happen if you come at it with a new approach. The landscape in WWE back in 2008 and now are so vastly different. 2008 WWE was a body industry where having muscles alone got you on TV. This division is obviously being helmed by Hunter so I am willing to give it a go. To throw it to the side just because before they've even had a shot is just going to keep playing up the stereotype that wrestling fans are whiny babies that are never happy.

Also @Roadster, Rollins is billed at 217lbs on WWE.com. So he's quite easily above the cruiserweight weight limit.
Meant the original weight limit

Stopspot

Reaction score
Meant the original weight limit
Well then not even AJ is above that one. He's billed at 218. Apollo is billed at 240. God darn that tiny little man is dense

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I'm not entirely optimistic about the CW division succeeding, but alright, let's see how it goes.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I don't see it being on the same level of the Junior Heavyweights in Japan or even the Cruiserweights in WCW, but they might work it out.

Stopspot

Reaction score
TBH if we're using the current NJPW junior division and the WCW cruiser division as the bar it is not set super high

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
TBH if we're using the current NJPW junior division and the WCW cruiser division as the bar it is not set super high
Compared to WWE's runs with the title. I don't remember WCW or NJPW putting the title on a midget dressed as a leprechaun.

New Japan's redundant shit is/was miles better from the title during most of it's run. The only interesting time was when Matt Hardy, Rey Mysterio, Ultimo Dragon and Tajiri were in the mix. That was like 10 months, back in 2002-2003.

SWAGSUKE

The Artiste
Banned
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be any logic to your thoughts on this. We're in 2016, and if you've been watching the CWC you know that they're very upfront about these guys being potential WWF World Champions down the line.

I feel like I"m reading a post from 2006.

GRRR VINCE
GRRR GLASS CEILING

lol okay buddy