Why is hogan....

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

LadyHotrod

Gorgeous George, the man who is arguably the one that made wrestling on television a success during it's early days...Who doesn't know him? Hell guys like Ric Flair & Buddy Rogers would go onto emulate him and the way he acted (Being self brandishing/center..)

Trust me, you say the name to the younger bunch and they will all say OH YEAH, SHE WAS SO SEXY! I've had it about a milion times in other forums where everyone thinks I am referring to the cheap whore female version and they have no clue who the awesome male one is.

Pretty sad.

Slyfox696

Reaction score
Trust me, you say the name to the younger bunch and they will all say OH YEAH, SHE WAS SO SEXY! I've had it about a milion times in other forums where everyone thinks I am referring to the cheap whore female version and they have no clue who the awesome male one is.

Pretty sad.
AAAAAAHAHAHAHA

I had never even thought of that. I totally forgot about her.

Airfixx

I dont think it is.... I mean, I know tons of non -wrestling friends and everyone, even people in my family if I mention I like wrestlling to people who dont watch/know about it, they automatically say Hogan.

What does that prove in light of your previous claim?

I'll say it again, to say Hogan is "for sure one of the most recognizable people not only in wrestling, but in the world" IS waaaaaay over the top.

If you still think not, have look at the global population and then hazzard a guess about how many of them have never even seen wrestling or 'Hogan Knows Best'. Then think current & former world leaders (Bush, Clinton, Blair, Mugabe, Hussain...) movie stars (Ford, Cruise, Will Smith, Arnie S, Stallone...), rock n pop stars (Mick Jagger, Madonna, Elton John...) truly globally renowned sports stars (Tyson, Woods, Pele, Maradonna...)...

Hogan don't mean shit on a global super-stardom scale.

Slyfox696 said:
Airfixx said:
That's waaaaay over the top.
No, he's the most world re-known wrestler ever.

I wasn't arguing that... Read again.

Slyfox696 said:
Airfixx said:
...And he has done everything in his power, since his long-gone heyday, to ensure that it stays that way.
Which makes him a) a good business man, and b) just like every other wrestling in the history of the business.

a) Business-wise, good for him maybe.
b) Given the fact that he had more power at his disposal than probably any other wrestler ever; no, not just like every other wrestler.

The key to my point is "since his long gone heyday"....

Gimme one good reason why he should have gone over HBK or Orton?

Btw, I started watching in '89 so I'm not a teenage unconditional fan of the 'Attitude'-era. By '92 it was a miracle he hadn't almost single-handed driven me away from WWF altogether... His presence made it all so one-dimensional (and that's after the 'shock' of WM6) and when he did actually get in the ring the match was shit! (Hogan V Sid is to my mind possibly the worst WM ME ever... I'd rather watch LT V Bam Bam!).

I wasn't a regular veiwer, but I was shocked when I caught pre-NWO WCW one day to see that they'd signed him and he was just pulling the same old routine... Just seemed so bizarre seeing him on WCW TV, I can remember thinking "Surely the viewers of the so-called "real" wrestling promotion aren't gonna buy that Hogan crap".

Granted the Heel turn was a masterstroke... Tho' how much of that was actually Hogan's creative thinking will forever depend on whether you speak to him or Bischoff I should imagine.

Also, I know the undisputed title-era was little more than a belt-share around all the big stars, but seeing HHH drop the belt to Hogan just one month after WM18 and his huge injury/comeback absolutely stank!

Bottom line is that, whilst it spelt boom-time in the 80s, all that Hulkamania shit played a big part in the WWFs dark times around '95 onwards as they had so few fans left that actually still believed in wrestling because of Hogan, his cheap title reigns and his refusal to take a clean loss.

C4

Hulk Hogan has never been a poor wrestler or entertainer in his career, Hogan is by far the best wrestler who stepped inside the ring in the late 80's and early 90's; and nobody can even compare to what he has done for the business itself, Hogan transformed the wrestling business forever!

There have been many superstars who came and went The Rock, Stone Cold, The Undertaker, John Cena, Bret Hart, Triple H, Shawn Michaels and the list goes on and on.... but nobody has ever been able to draw such large audience and nobody has ever done anything as big as Hogan did in his prime, he was a part of the wrestling revolution.

It's sad to see that his work for the business isn't appreciated today but that's because he didn't retire 5 years back! Everything would have flowed smoothly if he would've decided to retire a little bit early and not beat Shawn Michaels and Randy Orton :disgust1:

Airfixx

...It's sad to see that his work for the business isn't appreciated today but that's because he didn't retire 5 years back! Everything would have flowed smoothly if he would've decided to retire a little bit early and not beat Shawn Michaels and Randy Orton :disgust1:

Too bad. You reap what you sew afterall!

...That said, I wouldn't argue too much with that - I'd certainly have a far less negaive view of him, but aged 17 or 18, with the shit Hogan was pulling in WWF (Particularly @ WM9), he'd all but single-handedly driven me away from wrestling for good.

Hogan V Vince @ WM19 should have been his retirement match.

Slyfox696

Reaction score
a) Business-wise, good for him maybe.
Of course good for him. You always have to look out for number 1, especially in the wrestling business.

But it was good business for everyone else in wrestling too. Because Hulk Hogan is the biggest meal-ticket in wrestling history.
b) Given the fact that he had more power at his disposal than probably any other wrestler ever; no, not just like every other wrestler.
LOL

So because he was better than everyone else, we're going to hold that against him? Face facts. ALL top guys play politics to stay at the top. Always have, always.

The key to my point is "since his long gone heyday"....

Gimme one good reason why he should have gone over HBK or Orton?
I'll give you two. Ric Flair and Mick Foley.

Tell me. How much does it boost a wrestler's career to beat either one of those guys these days? Not at all. When a top star constantly puts over another wrestling, the rub gradually wears away until it doesn't mean anything. Beating Ric Flair doesn't mean anything. Beating Mick Foley doesn't mean anything. Beating Hulk Hogan? It means you're one of the truly greats. Hulk Hogan is STILL a big draw, and his name still has value. Why would either he or Vince McMahon want to ruin that? Especially for a 41 year old wrestler with bad knees and less than 5 years before retirement, or a young wrestler who had just come off a 60 day suspension for unprofessional conduct, and had just been made to look like Kurt Angle's bitch at One Night Stand.

Give me one good reason that either HBK or Orton should have gone over Hulk Hogan.

Oh, and Orton's feud with Hulk Hogan obviously didn't hurt him too bad, considering his feud with Hogan came after a 60 day suspension, and a humiliation at the hands of Kurt Angle...and then approximately a year after his feud with Hogan, he became the number 1 guy in the company.

Btw, I started watching in '89 so I'm not a teenage unconditional fan of the 'Attitude'-era. By '92 it was a miracle he hadn't almost single-handed driven me away from WWF altogether... His presence made it all so one-dimensional (and that's after the 'shock' of WM6) and when he did actually get in the ring the match was shit! (Hogan V Sid is to my mind possibly the worst WM ME ever... I'd rather watch LT V Bam Bam!).

I wasn't a regular veiwer, but I was shocked when I caught pre-NWO WCW one day to see that they'd signed him and he was just pulling the same old routine... Just seemed so bizarre seeing him on WCW TV, I can remember thinking "Surely the viewers of the so-called "real" wrestling promotion aren't gonna buy that Hogan crap".
LOL

Hulk Hogan was one of the best in-ring workers of our time. His ability to work a match and to connect with an audience is unparalleled.

Granted the Heel turn was a masterstroke... Tho' how much of that was actually Hogan's creative thinking will forever depend on whether you speak to him or Bischoff I should imagine.
I don't care who's creative it was, it was still Hogan going out and getting the heat.

Bottom line is that, whilst it spelt boom-time in the 80s, all that Hulkamania shit played a big part in the WWFs dark times around '95 onwards as they had so few fans left that actually still believed in wrestling because of Hogan, his cheap title reigns and his refusal to take a clean loss.
LOL...wow, what a very blind statement.

The simple fact is that the steroid scandal, lack of new stars (in wrestling in general) and poor promoting is what hurt the WWF in the dark times, not Hulk Hogan. If Hogan was such a negative influence, then explain why WCW turned a profit in 1995, BEFORE Hogan turned heel. WCW was bleeding millions of dollars a year before 1994. The second half of 1994 was profitable, 1995 was profitable, and then Hogan led the boom of '96. Your comment has no merit.

Airfixx

Beating Hulk Hogan? It means you're one of the truly greats.

Are you having a laugh?

From his first WWF title reign:

Clean wins: Warrior, Goldberg, Piper (to a sleeper, non-title. WHATEVER! : o/ ), Lesnar... And, ok, The Rock.

Tainted victorys: Sting (both Kayfaybe & the rumoured ref pay-off, Taker (SSeries 01 - Thanks to Flair and let's face it it was only 3 days before Hogan got the better of Taker.).

The facts don't exactly support your statement. If anything it says to me that Hogan is a poor judge of who he should and shouldn't do the job for... The only one the does anything to qualify your opinion is his jobbing to The Rock.

(Will give some of your better points the attention they deserve later....)

Final Verdict

Reaction score
Are you having a laugh?

Clean wins: Warrior, Goldberg, Piper (to a sleeper, non-title. WHATEVER! : o/ ), Lesnar... And, ok, The Rock.

Tainted victorys: Sting (both Kayfaybe & the rumoured ref pay-off, Taker (SSeries 01 - Thanks to Flair and let's face it it was only 3 days before Hogan got the better of Taker.).

The facts don't exactly support your statement. If anything it says to me that Hogan is a poor judge of who he should and shouldn't do the job for... The only one the does anything to qualify your opinion is his jobbing to The Rock.

(Will give some of your better points the attention they deserve later....)

You seem to be forgetting quite a few.

Triple H on two occasions, he tapped out to the ankle lock, submitted to the Torture rack of Lugers. Put over Team Canada in tag action. Put Sting over the month after Starcade at SuperBrawl. Yokozuna, Taker again. Made the Giant an instant star. Don't forget doing the job to Jacque Rogeau in Quebec. The hundreds of losses he suffered in Japan, AWA, and Memphis.

How was Hogan supposed to know that Warrior, Lesnar and Goldberg wouldn't have long runs, or The Rock would take off to Hollywood. Its not like he's psychic. I mean you can't blame a person for not being able to see the future.

I mean I'm not going to blame Triple H because Shelton couldn't get over, or Foley and Flair for Carlito not being able to get over.

Slyfox696

Reaction score
Are you having a laugh?

Read Final Verdict's response.

The simple fact is that, regardless of what happened to the guys after Hogan the fact is beating Hulk Hogan is the pinnacle of the mountain.

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
Slyfox beat me to it. Anyone who blames Hogan for anything in wrestling is forgetting the fact they probably wouldn't be watching it if it weren't for him. Don't blame Hogan for playing politics, blame the weak leadership of where ever he was at for letting him. Everyone, everywhere plays politics whether they're at work, school, home or in sports.

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
I skipped a lot of this thread, so if I say something that was already said, I apologize.

Hogan was a horrible wrestler, his matches in Japan didn't disprove that. As Flair For The Gold said in the "Hogan Wrestles??" thread, he would have been booed out of the building if he wrestled the same way as he did in a America, so he had to TRY. But doing a hammerlock and a couple of (bad) drop toe holds, doesn't make you a good wrestler.

BUT, Hogan was great on the other end of the spectrum. He could sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo (and considering the quality of his matches, he essentially did). I don't know anything about his old WWE run, but I know WWE used him wrong after they bought WCW. They had him wrestling every week as a singles competitor. WCW nailed it though. Have Hogan manage a big group that does all his dirty work, give Hogan the championship and that way, the only time we have to see Hogan wrestle is when he defends the title. Hogan wrestled maybe 2 times per month in WCW and was on the mic the rest of the time. And I loved every minute of it....until I had to watch the matches.

I would also like to say that I thought the "Fingerpoke of Doom" was genius.

Slyfox696

Reaction score
But doing a hammerlock and a couple of (bad) drop toe holds, doesn't make you a good wrestler.
Precisely.

What DOES make you a good wrestler is being able to make people care about you, and how your character does in the ring. The storytelling, the psychology, workrate, the selling, and the ability to connect with fans is what makes a wrestler great.

And Hulk Hogan did that better than anyone else in history.