Why Does Hollywood Keep Giving Eddie Murphy Work?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
He's just making fun movies that his kids can enjoy, nothing wrong with that. Nobody stays on top forever even DeNiro has branched out from just making gangster flicks.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
He's just making fun movies that his kids can enjoy, nothing wrong with that. Nobody stays on top forever even DeNiro has branched out from just making gangster flicks.

But why are we pretending like he had a long run on top, it was barely a decade, and when you see how funny he was in his 80s prime that is whats so sad. The De Niro example doesn't work, because besides Meet the Parents most of his other comedy work has been poor and his career has declined as a result. Theres nothing wrong with branching out, actors should do different kinds of movies, like when Murphy did Dream Girls, but more often than not he has reverted back to his comfort zone and made cheap and lame family output.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
When you consider his standup career with it and how long he was making hit movies and getting sell out audiences for his gigs he spent a decent amount of time on top. The DeNiro comparison does work because they were both once huge names that were in nothing but successes but thesedays are rarely in anything amazing. Eddies still been in the occasional great movie in the last couple of decades, but he's just having fun, taking it easy. Which I think he's earned.

Oh and Meet The Parents was awful, an entire trilogy of movies built around a stupid last name as the main gag.

Last edited:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
When you consider his standup career with it and how long he was making hit movies and getting sell out audiences for his gigs he spent a decent amount of time on top. The DeNiro comparison does work because they were both once huge names that were in nothing but successes but thesedays are rarely in anything amazing. Eddies still been in the occasional great movie in the last couple of decades, but he's just having fun, taking it easy. Which I think he's earned.

Oh and Meet The Parents was awful, an entire trilogy of movies built around a stupid last name as the main gag.

But if you ask Murphy he would say that as an actor he would always try to better himself and go on making entertaining and different films. When he was nominated for a award for Dream Girls I remember him claiming that he had always done deverse movies throughout his career, now I don't see that as true, but doesn't that statement suggest in threoy at least than he wants to do more than just the family stuff?

And your wrong Meet the Parents is a comedy masterpiece and De Niro is very funny in it, it just wasn't worth a whole trilogy.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
But if you ask Murphy he would say that as an actor he would always try to better himself and go on making entertaining and different films. When he was nominated for a award for Dream Girls I remember him claiming that he had always done deverse movies throughout his career, now I don't see that as true, but doesn't that statement suggest in threoy at least than he wants to do more than just the family stuff?

And your wrong Meet the Parents is a comedy masterpiece and De Niro is very funny in it, it just wasn't worth a whole trilogy.

Everyone will always say they're striving for bigger and better but settling into comfort, being relaxed, doing something your whole family can enjoy can be preferable.

Meet The Parents almost gave me cancer it was that bad, Ben Stiller can't make a good movie

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Nobody is right or wrong in their opinions. Honestly though you make it sound like you're an expert. Have you seen his recent stuff to make a valid argument?

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
:punk2:

I've seen most of Eddie's recent work and none of its been terrible.

Meet Dave, Norbit, Anything after the second Shrek, Tower Heist, Haunted Mansion, I Spy, Hell his best movie in the past decade was Daddy Day Care in 02

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
He keeps getting work because he has been a bankable star over the past few decades. Every time he is written off he comes back with the next big thing and makes companies a ton of money. His stand-up was awesome and he made bucketloads of money from that. Then along came Beverly Hills Cop which was THE franchise of the 80's. He was written off in the early 90's but then came back with Nutty Professor and Doctor Dollittle which were highly successful franchises. Then in the 00's he was part of Shrek which is another huge grossing franchise. Plus in the late 00's he starred in Dreamgirls and pulled off probably the best acting performance of his career in it.

Yes his recent stuff has been crap and he has also done plenty of crap throughout his career but he is one of the most successful box office draws of all time so it is pretty obvious why he is still being offered plenty of work.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
:punk2:

Meet Dave, Norbit, Anything after the second Shrek, Tower Heist, Haunted Mansion, I Spy, Hell his best movie in the past decade was Daddy Day Care in 02

I enjoyed all those movies. Not every movie needs to redefine how we look at the world and reinvent the movie industry. They're just fun, simple movies that my little girl can watch with me.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
But this isn't about what you like it's about why hollywood keeps paying him if his movies don't payout. He's making more than he's worth, It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks! You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, He's not making as much as he's getting paid so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
But then why does Hollywood keep paying one of the greatest actors of this era in Denzel Washington? He's on this list too. Which must mean his movies are shit and he's shit and doesnt deserve a paycheck too right? Everyones a movie snob thesedays is the real problem, people pretend to be to sophisticated for a basic movie, see Adam Sandler he's making the same movis he always has but now everyone calls him juvenile.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
But then why does Hollywood keep paying one of the greatest actors of this era in Denzel Washington? He's on this list too. Which must mean his movies are shit and he's shit and doesnt deserve a paycheck too right? Everyones a movie snob thesedays is the real problem, people pretend to be to sophisticated for a basic movie, see Adam Sandler he's making the same movis he always has but now everyone calls him juvenile.

Well I've pretty much always thought Sandler was juvenile so am not jumping on any bandwagon, but plain and simple his movies are not funny and he is a weak comic actor.

Troy the recent Murphy films have not been big hits that is part of the reason behind the question of this thread.

And Maryse I don't buy his argument for why he makes that sort of movie, but you do which is fair enough, at the end of the day their just bad movies and I would like to see him do different kinds of movies other wise it just becomes boring.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Denzel is over paid. This is based on two movies one FLIGHT which was just about an inch above an indy film. And SAFE HOUSE which was hollywood trying to make Ryan Reynolds the next action star (it was a fun popcorn movie that broke about even if I recall). You go back two films before that Unstoppable, it's a movie about a train (they tend not to do well) and it was trying to make an action star out of Chris Pine. Before that was the horrible Book of Eli.

So you see he's overpaid but they have a goal in mind. Denzel obviously realizes he's on the way out and is doing people favors. Nobody other than you has called Eddie's movies shit. There not shit he's just overpaid as is obviously everyone on the list. Even shit actors (yeah Seagal I'm looking at you) can continue to make movies while being over paid to do those movies.