• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
What is this deal with Goldberg? All I ever hear is how amazing Goldberg and it over looks how great some of the old talent was back then guys like Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, Mysterio, DDP, Curt Hennig and Dean Malenko but all anyone talks about is Goldberg!

Goldberg had the longest streak in history and was trained at the WCW Power Plant and has had some of the worst matches in history, The man couldnt wrestle he would hit a few big moves and win and this led him to the top, The man didnt care about wrestling and had no love for what he was doing, DDP, Jericho etc worked hard to get to where they were and Goldberg over shadowed them.

I think its ridiculous that people think Goldberg is even a decent wrestler.

Aydind

Jobber
Reaction score
He had a 173 winning steak.

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Reactions: Aydind

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Goldberg was the definition of IT factor. When he stepped out people payed attention due to his presence. That combined with being debuted the right way at the right time equaled success.

Reactions: Aids Johnson

Marshall1

The Artiste
Reaction score
He was cool, he was a badass, he had that IT factor, he was a badass and he drew money! He may not be the the most talented "wrestler" but that doesn't really matter when he draws money!

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
You know this same thing could be said about all the top guys? Why did people love Hulk Hogan. All he did was rip his shirt, throw terrible punches, hulk up, hit a leg drop and then pose after the match. Why did people love Steve Austin. All he did was kick and punch, maybe a Lou Thesz press and then a Stone Cold Stunner. The Rock did his own traditional moves before hitting the Rock Bottom or the People's Elbow.

All these guys have the IT factor that draws people to them. Unlike Goldberg, they also had incredible mic skills to go along with their charisma, where as Bill Goldberg simply had the look and the aura. But he also had it possibly more so than any other wrestler that's ever debuted and gotten THAT over that quickly. He also came in when the company was red hot, which was only to his benefit. And people love undefeated streaks, just look at Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak or how much people are drawn to winning streaks in real life sports.

In short, he was in the right place at the right time (the same can easily be said about the holy trinity of Hogan/Austin/Rock) and had the perfect combination of look, aura, entrance, theme music and a good enough set of moves in the ring (including an awesome finishing duo of a vicious spear and then a jackhammer that people loved) that, combined with an undefeated streak, shot him straight to the top. He was even on Austin levels in 1998 but of course leave it to WCW to screw it all up in the end.

(I say all of this as someone who was only a moderate fan of Goldberg at best.)

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I was a kid when goldberg was in the middle of that streak. The dude was unbeatable! I Tuned in to nitro over raw JUST to see HIM win. When he got tazzed and lost the title, a part of me died.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
Yup he had that "It factor", when he walked down the ramp you just knew it was a big deal. Not all that great in the ring, but he made up for it with his intensity and aggression. I'm surprised he never killed anyone. Also dat spear!

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yup he had that "It factor", when he walked down the ramp you just knew it was a big deal. Not all that great in the ring, but he made up for it with his intensity and aggression. I'm surprised he never killed anyone. Also dat spear!
That kind of stuff was amazing

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
He's the definition of "Larger than life.