Why do you love Professional Wrestling?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
When I was in the hospital recovering from my surgery I was watching Smackdown on Tuesday when one of the nurses came in and checked on me and she saw what I was watching. Before, she left she asked one simple question. Why do I like Professional Wrestling? Now, it could have been the morphine or something, but my mind was completely blank and I couldn't give her an answer. I simply said, "I don't know. I have always loved it." She walked out of the room, but I soon began wondering about that question for rest of the week and never could think of an answer.

So, I figured I would ask you lovely people the same question. Why do you love Professional Wrestling?

P.S. If this is in the wrong area, then any mod or admin feel free to move it.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
23ssot2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Crash

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
My cousin showed me Smackdown Shut Your Mouth as soon as I saw Shawn Michaels do hia entrance I cracked up. One year later I got curious amd watched it. Raw on 2004. I remember looking forward to Raw. It's been a while aince I looked forward now lol

The Sheik

The Architect
Technician
Reaction score
What an awesome thread.. I don't love professional wrestling anymore, I enjoy it for the lame storytelling and lack of character development.. It seems to be a habit at this point, I've watched it all my life..

That seems to be a very common question.. I went to a bar/restaurant with my friend a few weeks ago and I asked the bartender, do they have Sportsnet 360, we want to watch some professional wrestling.. After she gave me a weird ass look, she asked why do i or anyone still likes pro wrestling?

I couldn't give an answer either. It seems to be a question that stumps wrestling fans. Maybe WWE has brainwashed us.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I think around the time I started watching, a lot of kids from my school have always watched it. And I think I was more of a follower of people back then than a trend-setter. Like people played Halo 3, I played it and fell in love with it.

I watched wrestling and I don't know, something just clicked. It was the cartoonish characters being brought to life for me. And it kinda incorporated everything I liked.

From heroes that were cool like Batista and Rey Mysterio, then muscular people and not in a gay way. I just always had a fascination with being muscular cause it was manly to me. Then it had divas and I was a teenager, so I don't gotta explain.

But now I appreciate it for different reasons.

Doxo

Moist Nephew
Reaction score
I love violence, drama, comedy, stories, heroes, villians, ect. Pro wrestling is an amalgamation of all of that

BeardsOfWarjStylesXL

The Showoff
Reaction score
Website
wcwguy.wix.com
~ Where do I begin? ~ "A Time In the Land of Titans"
***Fades to Black*** In the far away days where the most exciting wrestling was as rich as the gold you owned if you were richer; like a sense of freedom that was glorified in the entertainment that we called WRESTLING in the days of smash mouth crazy moves and insane stories; a time in the land of titans shall we call it. The BEST DAYS are behind us.

****Lights Camera Action*** Let's be real here---wrestling these days is a shell of what it use to be. Why do I love pro wrestling? I loved it when it was crazy, when it was over the top insane with feuds and stories that allowed rivalries to become more than they were; for example; The Macho Man and Diamond Dallas Page, or Sting and Hogan, or Raven and the Flock and the disconnection between Kidman and Raven and Reese; or even better; the four horseman and the NWO; this was the shit frame of the best days in wrestling during the what was known as the Monday Night Wars; after all I witnessed the rise and fall of it all. It's so easy to say that Vince McMahon is a genius for what he did to the sport as WWE continues to grow and even when stale still manages to take notice even in bad times.

Vince credits himself as the mastermind who defeated his rivals but what he really did was ruin the wrestling business because as we all know competition creates cash and he was so egotistic enough to rid of ecw and wcw badly that it cost him the one thing he'll never get back; the satisfaction of claiming a victory over a rival every Monday if and when they'd be head to head but all he has is the 2001 "purchase" that ended everything. Why do I love pro wrestling? When wrestling was at its peak; it's glory---top quality match cards; pay-per-views---shows---rivalries---longevity--stories--everything in between was gold no matter which show you tuned into.

Why do i love pro wrestling? The originality; the characters; the connections between stables and individual personalities in the locker-room. When Rey Mysterio would wrestle dean malenko; and Goldberg would watch backstage because it was to him the 'best wrestling' on the card according to goldberg that is. When WCW and ECW were at the top of their games---and WWF was trying to keep up...building stars along the way---when all three were at the top doing their individual glory that made them each unique attempting to attract fans to watch what they put out---that's why i love wrestling. Now? it's just not the same.

Why do i love pro wrestling? I witnessed all of the WCW pay-per views from 96-01 and let me say as bad as 2000 was...it's quite "tolerable" versus today's standards. I would go to a friends house to watch the events and had popcorn; tv dinners and chaos would follow hahahahah you wanna know why I love pro wrestling? Quote the Raven Never more; it's show time; wolfpack is in the house; NWO ICE, HEY YO, and also the NWO felt real it felt serious; it felt like a a horror film in paradise; good lord; wrestling back than was glory now it's just not anything close but i still watch anyway.

If Jericho had put his bid in for the WCW purchase that he 'didn't know' about when Vince Bought the company who knows where they'd be today; Jericho was a genius in the world championship wrestling era but he was more successful in the WWE obviously for many reasons; he's one of the most decorated WWE superstars of all time and he came from a company that put him on a high rise to greatness but he wouldn't be as popular without WWE and that's just a fact. Many wcw guys who crossed over became better talents in WWE cause of what they had at the time; but as we go forward we just won't have those same qualities anymore.

I'm one of the few if not the only wrestling fan that does not watch NXT in fact i maybe the ONLY one who doesn't care for that brand maybe because i am an old school minded fan---i prefer the dark matches and those types of tryouts not some gimmick looking shithole that plays like a circus act every week. Maybe someday I will give NXT a chance...but i think the only way would be if sting declared he was in full support of the brand and unless he does i cannot because i just don't want to watch some crappy developmental territorial diminish wrestling's once paved glory. You can say NXT is the best brand but it's just a joke that forgot the punchline with the newspaper.

There will never be another GOAT wrestling era like the 1990's it's just going to become less attractive over time. In the end I loved everything back than it was such a great time to be a fan but over the years since the purchase in 2001 it's just not close because WWE is lazy--they don't have to care; in the 90's they did. There is so much that we could have seen develop in the 2000's if all three companies were still competing but we will never know what they would be as we are in 2018 and it's been 17 years since... Nice going Vince your ignorance puts you at the top of the most stubborn and selfish assholes in wrestling history... but you are still a billionaire; good luck in Hell Mr. Meekmaaaaaahn.

Why do I love Pro wrestling? Because it use to be something that made wrestling special...

Reactions: Gman003

Village Idiot

The Lunatic Fringe
Banned
Reaction score
this reason
Trish-Stratus-Hot-Dress.jpg
this reason
stacy-kiebler-sexy-legs.jpg

Well That's Two Good Reasons To Start With Why i Love Professional Wrestling :emoji_smiley:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I hate that I didn't get to answer this when it was first posted. I can't believe I let a thread like this get by me.

I was 10 or 11 around the time Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling was a Saturday morning cartoon. I enjoyed it quite a bit and that got me thinking a lot more about pro wrestling itself. In those days, my family was pretty poor and didn't have cable or anything like that. So I wasn't really able to watch wrestling, because it was a basic cable mainstay mostly. All we had were WWF Superstars at midnight, which I watched on a fuzzy TV and Saturday Night's Main Event a few times a year. So I think for me, the main pull of wrestling was curiosity. I would watch these and hear about the matches that would be on closed circuit TV and eventually PPV and wanted to see it.

As time went on, pro wrestling sort of just became MY thing. I was a middle child and I didn't really get a lot of opportunities to have things that were unique to me. You know, I then had the shows, the magazines and it was a different world that I sort of lost myself in. And I suppose that's why I am still such a big fan. Wrestling still sort of feels like it's my world, one that I know more about than most people do and something that has become as usual in my life as eating.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I hate that I didn't get to answer this when it was first posted. I can't believe I let a thread like this get by me.
Why? It is just a thread asking a really simple question. Nothing to hate nor did you miss anything.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
Why? It is just a thread asking a really simple question. Nothing to hate nor did you miss anything.
A simple answer that can be answered in a number of different ways. Some wrestling fans could pour their hearts out to this question. Stop pissing on people's chips.

Fish, Chips, Curry Sauce and Mushy Peas.

Crash

Reaction score
To me there are many reasons why I love wrestling. I can enjoy a good technical wrestling match, a high flying spots match or just have a violent bloody match. Wrestling has so many different forms to please it's fans and that is something not many other sports have. It is also a very creative form of art, the wrestlers can craft their characters through many different ways. They can do it through their outfit, their wrestling styles or in promos. I just enjoy the art of wrestling.

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score
To me there are many reasons why I love wrestling. I can enjoy a good technical wrestling match, a high flying spots match or just have a violent bloody match. Wrestling has so many different forms to please it's fans and that is something not many other sports have. It is also a very creative form of art, the wrestlers can craft their characters through many different ways. They can do it through their outfit, their wrestling styles or in promos. I just enjoy the art of wrestling.

I agree. I also think wrestling is a very good outlet for our inner dark side. Roderick Toombs, Ray Traylor, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall, to name a few, have enjoyed the high spots of their careers playing villains. Their other sides, so to speak, were highly entertaining and put us in touch with our own shady sides, which all of us, have experienced at one point or another in our lives. For others to do it on screen, is not unlike a form of therapy, in which we get to see human beings do foul things and not feel ashamed of it, for the most part.

ClancyFinn

Jobber
Reaction score
Wow, gonna be putting my age out there by saying this. I lived in Florida as a kid and the place we lived we got free cable off some crossed wires so Ive been watching and have loved wrestling since I was around 9. Now for the age give away.... I watched during the days of all the different southern promotions. First wrestlers I remember watching were Dusty Rhodes and Rick Flair. I got sucked into the storylines / fueds. They were characters you cared about and really rooted for. Something that todays wrestling lacks. The industry is so over saturated that most of the talent never has a chance. Being a fan for 40+ years Ive seen pretty much every wrestler that's come and gone and every " ERA" that has come and gone. Ive never stopped watching my "stories" which is what Ive always called wrestling. You know wrestling was soap operas for guys. Lol. It seems since WWE has stopped the bloody matches the talent has been made to do more extreme / dangerous moves that have caused more career ending or near ending injuries. I always cringe when someone is thrown into the ring step, those pointy corners scare the crap outta me heheh. The women on the other hand have stepped up their game as in ring talent and I no longer avoid their matches. I do feel some things feel stale having someone have a 3-6 month fued with someone now days since there are so many more people that can be used instead of dragging out one worn out rivalry than back in the day when the entire roster was 15 guys. Even with the stuff I don't like about what is currently happening I'll never stop watching.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley