Who's Better

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Weebo

Reaction score
f_JGDEm_8145060.jpg

When I look back on the weekend of the fall Charlotte race of 2007 -- only one moment will stand out personally. No, it won't be Jeff Gordon's dizzying dance with his fuel tank down the stretch to the checkered flag, or Rick Hendrick pleading with Kyle Busch to show some team fidelity. Nope, for me it will be a radio appearance I made on Mojo Nixon's radio show Manifold Destiny.

If you don't know Mojo and his show, you should. His delivery is half mountain top sermon, half crazed rock star -- but 100 percent NASCAR passion. It's more fun than one should be allowed to have on satellite radio.
Beau Estes

Beau Estes co-hosts the Jack Daniel's Post-Race Show with Nikki Alexander. It can be seen following every Nextel Cup race live on NASCAR.COM.

In truth, I've been on his show a half dozen times so it wasn't necessarily my first trip to the verbal rodeo. Still, there was a moment in this appearance that stood out like Elton John at a Wal-Mart.

As ever, the conversation with Mojo was faster than a Devin Hester kick return. Topics were flying by like dust in a tornado. Then it happened. I could tell the spot was ending when Mr. Nixon asked the question that stops time in NASCAR circles. It's a dividing line among fans that makes Mason-Dixon look quite neighborly.

My nervous grip on the phone tightened like a python on some poor unsuspecting prey. The words hung in the air like vintage Michael Jordan and yet I still couldn't believe them.

"Has Jeff Gordon passed the late Dale Earnhardt in your mind?" he asked as innocently as if he were asking me for the time.

Quickly, my neck snapped around in both directions scanning my surroundings.

"Is that a sniper wearing a 3 shirt off in the distance behind that [gulp] -- grassy knoll?

Why does that Chevrolet have the number 24 in its license plate?"

Paranoia had set in. No, it had invaded my very being so my immediate gut response whispered something to the effect of "are you trying to get me killed?"

"HEY BEAU, THE PHONE LINES ARE LIT UP WITH PEOPLE JUST WAITING FOR YOUR RESPONSE," he screamed from a mountaintop as I scrambled to cover the earpiece of my phone.

"Keep quiet and the moment will pass," I thought to myself. But like a trained monkey when prompted to start yapping, my lips sprung to life and words appeared for all to hear.

I think I said something to the effect of: "The sport is racing and you race to win so Gordon has the wins going for him, however, Dale does have seven championships and those in Dale's camp will always say that Gordon was born into the best equipment."

It was an answer motivated by selfish concern for my own personal well-being. Really, I don't know the answer. In fact, nobody does. Don't let them tell you that they do. In the end, where this debate is involved, the issue is just too personal for people.

I can see both sides of this one. Jeff has done more (wins wise) at a younger age. Dale has more championships and revolutionized the sport -- not to mention his social impact.

The point is that they are both great drivers, the best of their generation and should be respected as such. Have fun debating and keep me at arms length on this one because I can't separate them.

Well I read this and wanted to know who you guys thought was better

PeepShow

Wwll, Im going to have to go with Gordon. He has accomplished quite a bit more in a less amount of time and it just seems like he goes out there week after week and is always in contention to win. Not to say that Dale didnt, but I just think Jeff had the better career up until this point

circle

Reaction score
Jeff Gordon is clearly the better driver, but I still like Dale more.

zmog

Reaction score
2 words.. Jeff Gordon