Who's Better: Randy Orton or John Cena?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Who is your favourite Orton or Cena?

• John cena

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Randy Orton

• Both

• Neither

• Total voters

LKP

To me, this is the best rivalry in pro wrestling today. The two best young Superstars; the baby face who many hate, and the heel that many people love.

John cena the WWE's poster boy is loved by kids and women and the occasional male fan. He has the look, the body and the charisma to be WWE's number one guy. His wrestling skills are to be desired and he like all wwe guys has his signature moves. Most people who dislike cena think he is a crap wrestler and seller and has no wrestling skills. Of course he has the skills i mean i think his style is based on his character. But why does he suck? These two men grew into the wrestling business together and became friends out of wrestling. Does this effect their place on the roster or your opinion? All you Orton fans who dislike cena why do you hate him?

Now on onto my favorite Randy Orton.
He is the 2nd top star next to john cena and he is the top man. Orton unlike cena shows us his wrestling skills at times and can get it done in the ring. His best matches i think were in mid 04 to start of 06. Where most of it he was on smack down "WRESTLING". His long feud with undertaker i think propelled him to higher ground. Orton has been involved in good storylines in the past few years most of whom with hhh and cena. Orton and cena have a good rivalry and the best of the lot was their last man standing match in Oct at bragging rights. Now people hate Orton and like cena why is this? Why do people dislike Orton'? Is it cause he is a hot head out of the wwe? I think people are slowly starting to like Orton kinda like how they started to like the rock way back in 97. I think wwe without these two guys would be very poor and these two have proved that they belong int he wwe for years to come.

So who is your favorite? Orton? Cena? Both or Neither?

Klide

Orton.
Only chicks and little kids like cena............and XBA jk

Reaction score
Depends on how you look at it. Cena undeniably has the "it" factor that no one else on the roster has and makes shitloads of cash for the company. So in the sense of doing what he's supposed to do, Cena is better.

Orton has a better character, has better in-ring skills and gets plenty of heat. But I can't even place him as the best heel, that is Jericho or Edge and now Punk is making a move for that spot. But Orton, with proper booking could be the next Jake Roberts, I even think the McMahon-HHH/Orton feud was modeled slighlty after the Savage/Roberts awesomeness.

Axis

Orton unlike cena shows us his wrestling skills at times and can get it done in the ring.

Holy fucking cocks. Shut the fuck up. Cena can't get it done in the ring? Need I post for you the huge list of four+ star matches that John Cena has been in? To saw that Cena doesn't show his "wrestling skills" is so beyond ignorant that it's hard to take seriously the remainder of your opening post.

LKP

No axis the people he has wrestled have helped him through the matches. Do not make me rant on cena's in ring skills now dude you picked the wrong guy to do that with i will argue and debate all day.

Soul_of_Ruby

Reaction score
Cena, definitely. Fucking Orton slows down all of his matches w/ the crazy gimmick and stares at his opponent on the ground for 5 seconds after every move. Not to mention his RKO has gotten worse and worse after 2007 (the year the awesome-looking RKOs peaked, IMO).

LegendKillerpunk: I'll argue in Cena's defense. If everyone carried him to those great 4 star matches, then how is it that to this day, Cena's the one that's pulled the best match out of The Great Khali? Triple H couldn't do it. Undertaker couldn't do it. Batista couldn't do it w/o the help of a gimmick match. So if Cena was able to pull out a better match then those guys by carrying Khali, I think it's quite obvious that he doesn't get carried to those 4 star matches so often.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
No axis the people he has wrestled have helped him through the matches. Do not make me rant on cena's in ring skills now dude you picked the wrong guy to do that with i will argue and debate all day.

I may hate Cena's guts for how he squashed Miz, but you emphasized this in the very same post you say Cena can't wrestle because you said you think it's just apart of his character right now. So which do you REALLY believe? Is it that Cena cannot wrestler or that he chooses not to wrestle because it's his character?

To answer the threads question, Cena still wins. Orton can get under your skin like he is supposed to, but his headlocks are vastly overrated because the IWC doesn't wanna admit that the move sucks. He plays a good heel, but Jericho, Punk & Edge do it better. He got to wear he is because of connections with Triple H. While Cena had to bite kick and scratch his way to the top. Orton has always been in a high profile feud since Evolution. Cena had to fight past crappy title feuds against Orlando Jordan, Rene Dupree & being followed around by "B-2" Bull Buchannon. He turned a horribly gimmicky and destined to fail rapper gimmick and turned it into something amazing. Orton beyond his crappy start as a generic blue chipper babyface has always had purpose and never had to fight through those dues.

Axis

Lmfao. Holy shit, the guy who can barely construct sentences is confident in his ability to take a defenseless position.

The excuse that "so-and-so was working against good opponents, that's why he was good" is only valid when it happens a handful of times. For instance, I once thought that MVP was one of the better workers in the company, coming off the heels of his Wrestlemania 23 program with Chris Benoit. As it turned out, however, his Benoit match was really the only masterpiece we ever got from him, with a handful of solid TV matches with Matt Hardy.

John Cena is a different story. If Cena had only ever had good matches with Shawn Michaels, then okay. If he had only ever had good matches with Triple H, then fine. If he had only ever good matches with Chris Jericho, then whatever. But the man has had good-great matches with Michaels, Hunter, Jericho, Angle, JBL, Rob Van Dam, Umaga, Edge, and Orton.

He's also managed to master the "make a really awesome 6-minute match on Raw, because they only allow that match time for a wrestling match" formula. This year alone on Raw, where the wrestling quality on weekly television has been horrid, he's pulled out some great midcard matches recently against CM Punk and Jack Swagger. He's also the only man to pull a "big-time feel" match out of Bobby Lashley. Aside from that, he's put on several really fun short (5-8 minutes) matches in the last few years with Benoit, Big Show, and even the fucking Miz.

With all this, I'm leaving out his pre-2005 stuff that is pretty much universally accepted as being great. Most notably, his matches against Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, and some decent stuff against Booker T.

So, I completely reject your argument that Cena only works well against good workers for two reasons. First, it's been proven false empirically. Second, even if I were to grant you that Cena's great matches have been against great opponents, it begs the question: how does a great match not include two great competitors?

Let's look at some of Randy Orton's best match. I, like you, believe that Orton is a great wrestler. Some of his best matches have been against Shawn Michaels, the Undertaker, Jeff Hardy, Triple H (I assume? To be honest none stick out in my mind), and Mick Foley. Those are all really great competitors. I've yet to see a four-star match between Randy Orton and Kane, just like I wouldn't expect to see one between John Cena and Kane. Unless your name is Chris Benoit, it's absurd to think that you're going to have a great match with a lousy opponent.

Now, please, rant away.

LKP

Cena's character probably disallows him a few moves but cmon Orton is smooth int he ring. Is it because he is a 3rd generation star? Maybe but cena whether with a character choice is stopping his moves or not he is not smooth or great in the ring. Yet he wins the vote in some peoples eyes can he can get buts on seats. Yet i think Orton has the all round package.
Blame booking for Orton's lack of 5 star opponents and matches. Throw Orton back on smackdown then you will see the Orton with 4 to 5 star matches.

noumenon

I'm gonna go with Orton.
I wouldn't go as far as to say Cena is horrible in the ring or anything. He does exactly what he's supposed to do perfectly. Simple, predictable, big spot moves to get the kids involved and get the crowd pumped. He's unquestionably the biggest draw since guys like Austin and The Rock.
However, I really prefer Orton. Every role that's given to the guy he plays to perfection. He really is phenomenal in the ring and actually works his character (whatever it may be at the time) perfectly into his ring work. I think we've yet to see what Orton is really capable of in the business and I really think he still has a way to go to reach his full potential.

The Rated R CMStar

To say Cena was carried in all his matches is a joke. He has put good matches with practically all the opponents he has been placed in the ring. I'm sorry, you have to be kidding.

However, Orton is better. His character is simply better, and his promos don't make me want to kill myself. Orton knows what works for him. You'll never see Orton trying to be funny like Cena.

noumenon

And like I said, Orton knows what works for his character and knows how to transfer it beautifully into his in ring style. Take a look at how simple things like his movement and execution has changed throughout his different gimmicks.

LKP

I'm gonna go with Orton.
I wouldn't go as far as to say Cena is horrible in the ring or anything. He does exactly what he's supposed to do perfectly. Simple, predictable, big spot moves to get the kids involved and get the crowd pumped. He's unquestionably the biggest draw since guys like Austin and The Rock.
However, I really prefer Orton. Every role that's given to the guy he plays to perfection. He really is phenomenal in the ring and actually works his character (whatever it may be at the time) perfectly into his ring work. I think we've yet to see what Orton is really capable of in the business and I really think he still has a way to go to reach his full potential.

I think another run on smackdown will show us how dam good he is. Give him john Morrison, punk, Finlay, Rey mysterio and Matt hardy then we will see the Orton of best. Edge has proved he can do everything be a good heel be a good wrestler. All from being mostly on smackdown. Now its Orton's turn to show what hes got. Cena may also improve if on smackdown. But Noumenon was right
He does exactly what he's supposed to do perfectly. Simple, predictable, big spot moves to get the kids involved and get the crowd pumped. He's unquestionably the biggest draw since guys like Austin and The Rock.

Axis

Blame booking for Orton's lack of 5 star opponents and matches. Throw Orton back on smackdown then you will see the Orton with 4 to 5 star matches.

So you have nothing to back up your claim? You just have a feeling that Orton would be better than Cena if given a chance (as if being a bona-fide main eventer since 2005 hasn't been enough)?'

Edit: John Cena and Randy Orton are on the same show, so it is a fair comparison. If anything, Orton would have the advantage because in the past 4 years he has spent more time on Smackdown, the more wrestling-oriented show.