Who in the WWE doesn't need the world championship belt?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

ATKOOL

Reaction score
Back in the day, guys like Piper were so over they didn't need a championship belt to prove it. Cena said in one of the promos leading up to WM22 that HHH didn't need the belt to come out here and tell the WWE fans that he is the best in the world so everyone would believe it. Can you list some names of current WWE wrestlers that don't need a World or WWE championship to claim they are the best for people to believe it?

The other day on these boards, people were upset over the fact Jericho didn't win the Rumble. Jericho has done virtually everything besides win a Rumble in this business. Did he need that victory? As long as we didn't have a 2nd time winner like Orton win it, I was ok with whoever won. I didn't mind that WWE gave Sheamus the victory over Jericho. I wasn't totally shocked at all when I heard of who won the Rumble because the roll he has been on as of late. I think it is good for the future of the business. Sheamus certainly isn't one of the names on the list who doesn't need a world title to claim he is the best in the business. I think Jericho is.....what do you think?

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Cena and Jericho.

Taker and HHH too if you count them as active.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Jericho and Punk immediately come to mind. Those are two guys that are always going to be immensely popular regardless of what title belt they are contending for, if any.

Though I think you still have to put the belt on veterans like Undertaker and Triple H from time to time so they still seem relevant to the fans.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Pretty much anyone over the age of 38-40 does not need the title to be honest. At that point it's all about building on your legacy without the title and putting guys over.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Pretty much anyone over the age of 38-40 does not need the title to be honest. At that point it's all about building on your legacy without the title and putting guys over.
That really depends. Older wrestlers who go a while without title runs tend to fall off the grid. Undertaker at least has the Wrestlemania streak to keep people from forgetting about him.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Taker, Cena, HHH, Orton, Jericho, Kane & Big Show definitley

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Forgot about Big Show. Yeah, definitely him too.

Just keep turning him heel 6 x times a year.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
That really depends. Older wrestlers who go a while without title runs tend to fall off the grid. Undertaker at least has the Wrestlemania streak to keep people from forgetting about him.
Well I mean look who falls under it though. Triple H sure as hell don't need anymore reigns, Taker doesn't, Jericho doesn't need it anymore, Kane doesn't need it anymore, Booker, etc. All those guys have and can keep themselves relevant without the world title. To me it's meant for the guys who are carrying your company and who will gladly work the full time schedule and do all the PR work. There isn't a guy over the age of 38 who needs the world title to still be effective in the WWE not even a guy like Regal makes for a perfect guy to put over young talent.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Well I mean look who falls under it though. Triple H sure as hell don't need anymore reigns, Taker doesn't, Jericho doesn't need it anymore, Kane doesn't need it anymore, Booker, etc. All those guys have and can keep themselves relevant without the world title. To me it's meant for the guys who are carrying your company and who will gladly work the full time schedule and do all the PR work. There isn't a guy over the age of 38 who needs the world title to still be effective in the WWE not even a guy like Regal makes for a perfect guy to put over young talent.
You're forgetting one very important reason the older guys need to still hold titles: so the younger guys can beat them.

Sure those stars don't always necessarily need to have a title when those younger stars beat them, but every now and then... yeah, they do. Otherwise, how are you really putting that young star over if they never beat the veteran when it matters the most?

This is one reason I've never understood the way a lot of Triple H's bigger matches are booked. He more often than not ends up getting the better end of the rivalry, and like you said, what does he need another title for?

Reaction score
The issue with Triple H was that he would usually end up winning the title or retaining regardless of who he wrestled against. He didn't put many wrestlers over for a very long time. Doesn't he have the most title reigns after Flair?

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Oh I'm not saying that tactic can't be used but just saying beating a Triple H for a young guy is still beating Triple H title or no title. Title match obviously being bigger but it isn't something I could say is exactly a need is all I'm saying. Sometimes not even beating them but going toe to toe with the vet can still work see Bret/Austin for a good example.

PY.

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I'd say Jericho, Taker, Trips, Kane, and even Cena & Orton. You can label them all as veterans of the game, and they all also held the title plenty of times.

Pretty much, anyone established on their level doesn't really need the title, but it wouldn't do any harm putting the belt on them.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Jericho, Taker, Trips, Kane, Big Show, and Orton. Cena will still always need more runs because he is the face of the company just like Edge was the face of SD, Flair the face of WCW, and HHH the face of Raw. You give it to them every now and then just to boost the resume, the ratings, the buys, and hopefully pit them against an act that has gained steam and needs to be welcomed to the world title scene for credibility. The company needs Cena to have it.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Oh I'm not saying that tactic can't be used but just saying beating a Triple H for a young guy is still beating Triple H title or no title. Title match obviously being bigger but it isn't something I could say is exactly a need is all I'm saying. Sometimes not even beating them but going toe to toe with the vet can still work see Bret/Austin for a good example.
A Wrestlemania match 1-on-1 with a vet holds the same merit as a world title match any other time of year imo.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Agreed that was pretty much my point as to how they don't exactly need the belt to put over a guy. Adding a world title to it just adds to it but not exactly needed.