Where do you rate Goldberg?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

FalconPunch

Reaction score
Only a dope would argue that he ISN'T one of the biggest stars of all time. For his short career, he did so much. He oculd have blinding wreslting matches (vs Steiner at Fall Brawl 2000, Nash at Starcade for example) was a part of some huge moments (Beating Hogan for the title, debuting on Raw and taking out Rock) and boy did he make his money.

Where do you stand on Bill, how do you rate him?

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
As much as I was a fan of the concept, Goldberg himself wasn't cut out to be a professional wrestler. He was constantly injuring people in the ring and he had next to no character whatsoever. If MMA was as big as it was now I could definitely see him having a career as a heavyweight standout (especially with his athletic background) because I don't doubt that he would have destroyed people in his prime, so although he was a dominant name he wasn't a complete professional wrestler and needless to say I found it very hard to get interested in him.. especially when he became World Heavyweight Champion in the WWE... that completely ruined his career.

Goldberg Vs Chuck Liddell would have been a huge draw in 2002-2005.

FalconPunch

Reaction score
You seem to think charisma is just spoken word, bless.

Tell me, was Marcel Marceau charismatic in your book?

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
GOAT? Nope, but he was certainly a light that burned twice as bright for half as long, so he'll always be well remembered. I never had a problem with the guy while he was wrestling (outside of the Lesnar match at 'Mania) and I'd agree that he had a certain presence that couldn't be taught or manufactured. The only issue I have is that, in retrospect, I don't find a lot of his matches all that good. Not a knock on the guy mind you, just that the formula is kind of repetitive after awhile.

Also, I just wanted to say that in all my years on the internet I've never seen a mime referenced, in context no less, on a wrestling forum, so kudos for that. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
As far as guys who had a short career, Goldberg was really over. In a lot of ways, he's the 90's version of 80's Ultimate Warrior, only with less great matches. I do feel as if Goldberg wouldn't have this sort of reputation had wrestling not already been in a big boom. Take now for insistence. If Goldberg debuted tomorrow and had a five year career, would people talk about him twenty years from now as they will about Goldberg's real time in wrestling? Doubtful.

More than anything, Goldberg is a showcase for the best and worst of WCW. WCW really got lucky when it came to Goldberg getting over. Suddenly, they had a major player in wrestling without them even doing much. For that, Goldberg deserves some credit. His MMA-like gimmick was pretty fresh for 1998 and he looked like a bad ass. At the same time, WCW's booking ended up nearly ruining Goldberg with a series of stupid moves. His title reign was shit, the heel turn was mindlessly stupid and they failed to make real use out of the guy.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
GOAT? Nope, but he was certainly a light that burned twice as bright for half as long, so he'll always be well remembered. I never had a problem with the guy while he was wrestling (outside of the Lesnar match at 'Mania) and I'd agree that he had a certain presence that couldn't be taught or manufactured. The only issue I have is that, in retrospect, I don't find a lot of his matches all that good. Not a knock on the guy mind you, just that the formula is kind of repetitive after awhile.

He certainly was a good powerhouse and he had a lot of memorable moves, but apart from the spear he didn't sell himself any of himself really.

And on a side note, I'd like to state that mime and professional wrestling are two different worlds. Wrestling; your character is all about consistancy.. and how you can keep it interesting week after week after week. Miming; you do a skit with your hands than you're onto the next one. So you're a little off on that comparison, homie.

Alex Scott

Metrosexual New Owner
Reaction score
Gotta be honest, even though I grew up during Goldberg's time period, I didn't really watch WCW at all. But from things I've seen in the archives and whatnot, I'll give my best shot.

As far as importance in WCW, he was extremely influential. He caught on at the right time and was booked the way he should have been booked. Unbeatable. He was WCW's last ditch effort to beat WWF. The NWO was oversaturated and Goldberg was what WCW needed. So, as far as WCW goes, Goldberg meant everything. But, when it comes to WWE, I don't feel that he translated as well. Goldberg's whole deal was that he was an unstoppable monster. Once he gets beaten and washed out, it doesn't matter anymore. (That's what has happened to Ryback.)Yes, his arrival was huge. Doesn't mean he was good in the long run. The same thing could be said if Sting came over. Goldberg had been one of the few big names WCW had that had not come over yet. So when he did come, it was monumental. His influence was there. But, WWE was not a good fit for him, in my opinion.

As far as wrestling ability, I can't support him. He's a good power guy. I'll give him that. But he's sloppy. I still can't let go of the concussion he gave Bret Hart. The spear and jackhammer combo was a great moveset for him. They looked painful as Hell. But other than that, I never felt like he could keep my attention in the ring.

Overall, I agree with Horrorfan. What is happening to Ryback is exactly what would happen to Goldberg if he debuted now. He debuted at the right time to catch on. Other than that, I don't think he would be remembered as well.

Reaction score
He was WCW's last ditch effort to beat WWF. The NWO was oversaturated and Goldberg was what WCW needed. So, as far as WCW goes, Goldberg meant everything.

But when Goldberg was getting hot, Nitro was still beating Raw. In fact, when Goldberg won the US Title, Raw had only finally bounced back and had defeated Nitro for a couple of weeks prior to Goldberg's win. WCW's last ditch effort would have been in late 1999 or 2000.

Alex Scott

Metrosexual New Owner
Reaction score
But when Goldberg was getting hot, Nitro was still beating Raw. In fact, when Goldberg won the US Title, Raw had only finally bounced back and had defeated Nitro for a couple of weeks prior to Goldberg's win. WCW's last ditch effort would have been in late 1999 or 2000.

Oh really? See, my knowledge of WCW specifics is limited. Memory is hazy too.