When was the last time a new champion created this much buzz?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Are you happy with Jinder Mahal being given the title?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Wrasslemaniac

The Showoff
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
So the topic for the IWC today seems to be surrounding Jinder's title win last night. The WWE universe appears to be divided over whether or not this is a good thing. Here are a few points i've seen people speak about on twitter:

- WWE can really expand in India
- Gives someone new a chance in the title picture (even if it is for a short reign)
- Shows Smackdown really is the land of opportunity &anyone can be a champion
- It's Jinder Mahal [foul language used thereafter]

Now these aren't my thoughts as I've not got round to watching Backlash just yet as I'm working on the UK special and Takeover first but I'm interested to guage how people feel about this, so simply poll are you happy with Jinder being given the title?

In addition, given how much this is being talked about, when was the last time a new (1st time) champion created this much buzz, be it good or bad?

Smg

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
I'm iffy about this. At first I wasn't a fan but I realized with something like this, it's best to wait out a few weeks to see how he's doing. I'm optimistic though, surprisingly.
As to the buzz, I'm really unsure about that one. Maybe Seth back in 2015 or Aj last year?

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
5 champions in 5 months (AJ, Cena, Bray, Randy, Jinder)

The crowd was booing him though and seemed into it and Jinder has cut some good promos. They rushed the build towards it, he looks and sounds the part and is far from the worse skill wise to have the title.

Closed

The Game
Banned
Reaction score
I mean, now I just want Rusev to become WWE champion, and I believe he has a better chance beating Jinder than Randy Orton.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
The crowd was booing him though and seemed into it and Jinder has cut some good promos. They rushed the build towards it, he looks and sounds the part and is far from the worse skill wise to have the title.
The push was not that quick. Jinder spent months building up the heat the way it is now. This is the kind of buzz the WWE and Vince wanted for Roman Reigns.

They tried many times to create heat on Jinder through the years via him joining jobber stables. Nothing seemed to work, well, now it worked. Now, Jinder's got everyone's attention. That's what this is about.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
The push was not that quick. Jinder spent months building up the heat the way it is now. This is the kind of buzz the WWE and Vince wanted for Roman Reigns.

They tried many times to create heat on Jinder through the years via him joining jobber stables. Nothing seemed to work, well, now it worked. Now, Jinder's got everyone's attention. That's what this is about.

The internet might be laughing at it but the crowd bought into it. Jinder seems to be doing his job, hell he might be the best heel atm. KO is to popular.

Whatever you may think of it Jinder has pulled something off.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I wrote a semi-tirade on this in the Rate Backlash thread so I'll try to restrict myself to my base points. I'm not particularly happy about this because outside of like the first promo he did, Jinder hasn't really impressed me. His title match with Orton was sleep inducing outside of the very beginning and the very end, while the rest of his promos have been a generic jingoistic bore. Like it works obviously, and it's cool that so many people are digging it but it's not something I've been enjoying, and I've been actively paying less and less attention to his segments. I skimmed through his four minute celebration clip they posted on youtube for example. It won't be before I just skip them.

But, even though I wouldn't really mind if WWE committed to the build and Jinder's history instead of gloss over it. That had all the ingredients for a compelling narrative here but, from what I've seen at least, they opted instead to basically gloss over (minus one line from Randy) his jobber status, instead only incorporating it when they need to push the Land of Opportunity epitaph. Because they rushed his advancement up the cards and didn't really play his record into the story, his title victory just feels like a business decision to me. And it is, they all are but I want to be invested in the story of the match, the financial reasoning behind the result. Makes me too apathetic to really get too upset about, which is why I said I'm not 'particularly' happy. Because I don't entirely care, but that doesn't make for interesting discourse.

Good for Jinder though. Hopefully they won't just have him drop it at the next PPV like WWE has done all year so far.

MrEdzhuks

The Showoff
Reaction score
I was not happy that they gave him the title as it happened, but now I'm realizing he's already a better champion than Orton was.

irish_stu

Jobber
Reaction score
At first i really was struggling with this, from jobber to champ in 6 weeks is a record for WWE. In the end though its new and frankly they product needs something new because this entire period since the Rumble with Orton has in my opinion been garbage.