WHC in 2002

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
So of course the belt came about cause Raw was left without a champion with Brock going to Smackdown with the undisputed title. Then they ended up giving Triple H the title which imo wasn't the right way to go about it. So what would you have done with the Raw being left without a world champion situation? Would you have even brought in the WHC at all? And if you felt like they went about it the right explain why.

To me they should have just did a tourny for the title. Probably would have still had Triple H win it just think the idea of simply handing him the title because he was number one contender at the time for the undisputed title.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Definitely would have went with the WHC because I absolutely love the design, it's probably my favorite of all time. As for how I'd go about it, I'd definitely have some sort of tournament, or at least a single match to crown the champion. Just handing it to Trips was so stupid, don't see any point in that except maybe getting him some extra heat.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Yeah heard it was done simply to get him more heat as before that (not sure how true this rumor is) but there was talks that they were gonna make the I.C title the main title on Raw but Triple H nixed the idea. Think the same heat could have been achieved if he cheated to win the title.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Made him look like way more of an underserving champion than a heel should. Ultimately I'm fine with it though, since HHH was still the best guy to give that belt to at the moment.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Looking back, probably wasn't the best thing to just hand him the belt. But didn't he give some kind of wicked promo saying why he believed he got it? I'd have to watch it again to remember. But I'd imagine that type of thing could lead to an awesome heel promo.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Looking back, probably wasn't the best thing to just hand him the belt. But didn't he give some kind of wicked promo saying why he believed he got it? I'd have to watch it again to remember. But I'd imagine that type of thing could lead to an awesome heel promo.
[video=youtube;3xzDFQQQVPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzDFQQQVPc[/video].

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Its kind of the perfect representation for what the belt means which is next to nothing. And it tends to get passed around with very little fanfare in my opinion.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
[video=youtube;3xzDFQQQVPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzDFQQQVPc[/video].

I'll have to watch it tomorrow, my laptop has a thing about watching videos in my room. But seeing Bischoff in the thumbnail, I'd say he was bullied into it or something.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I'll have to watch it tomorrow, my laptop has a thing about watching videos in my room. But seeing Bischoff in the thumbnail, I'd say he was bullied into it or something.
Nah Eric was heel as was HHH so he just handed him the title willingly because he was the last guy to hold that belt and because he was the number 1 contender for Brock's belt before Brock went to Smackdown.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Ah, okay, so nothing really crazy. Shame really, would have been the perfect heel thing to do, just bully your way to a championship.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Well, as the first ever Elimination Chamber happened like 2 months later, it does seem like a dumbfuck idea in hindsight to just hand the belt to Trips.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Worked for Triple H heel heat, especially with smarks who thought he was the devil in those days.

Funny how things change.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I can see why they did it because it made people hate HHH even more, gave him so much heel heat that the evil heel gm would hand the heel wrestler the world title. I would have preferred to see a tournament simply because I like tournaments in wrestling but what they did worked. Looking back determining the champion insider the Elimination Chamber would have been a fantastic way to do it, what better match to find out who should be the champion of the brand.

I really liked the World title design and I didn't mind them bringing in a second title. Back then the mainevent scene was packed so they had enough top stars to cover two world title scenes. Now they are severely lacking in top stars it keeps looking like they should merge the two titles and just go back to having one world champion.

KAMALA

Reaction score
I really hated that the belt was just handed to HHH and couldn't take it seriously for a very long time because of that.

FalconPunch

Reaction score
Well, as the first ever Elimination Chamber happened like 2 months later, it does seem like a dumbfuck idea in hindsight to just hand the belt to Trips.

Not really. In 2002 business wasn't hitting the lows of mid / late 2003 yet. Two months worth of television and house shows featuring a "world champion" is a smart thing to have.