• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

What would you do to help TNA and its ratings?

chessarmy

For those of you who don't know, TNA iMPACT! got a .94 rating this week, that is just unacceptable. If TNA ever wants to compete with the WWE, they need to get their ratings up. The question is..how? With wrestling in a Major slump right now, TNA needs to do something that will attract viewers and get the rating back up to where it should be. They have the tools to do it, I mean…what else do you need? They have star power, a great timeslot, a 2 hour TV show, and good production values. All they need to do is start attracting more people to watch iMPACT! The bottom line is, TNA needs to get the ratings up and they need to do it now. If .9 becomes their new average I’m afraid Spike might start thinking about pulling the plug, and that would suck.

What do you think TNA needs to do to get the ratings up?

PeepShow

Good thread. Title changed, and stickied. :y:

I posted my thoughts on what they need to do a while back, and it pretty much sums up what I think they need to do to put on a more enjoyable product, and with that, comes higher ratings:

PeepShow said:
Take chances. Grow some balls.

They have been on Primetime TV now for what? Almost 2 years now? IDK if it’s Spike that’s not letting them, but they need to take chances. Over the top chances. Give someone a REASON to watch the product. MAKE them watch it. Give the show some ATTITUDE. From what I’ve read online and results from their house shows and what not, they look a lot more enjoyable than most, if not all iMPACTs. People write in reviews all the time saying it was the best wrestling experience they have ever been to and such. Start doing this on iMPACT every once in a while. Oh, and getting out of the iMPACT zone wouldn’t hurt either.

The Rated R CMStar

As of now 0.9 is their new rating, as it is not a one week thing, this has happened every week after Lockdown.

In the end, I don't think it is TNA's fault, it is wrestling as a whole. WWE's ratings also have gone down. Both companies need to find a way to spark attention. WWE's way is to give away money, we'll see how that ends. However, for TNA, their way seems to involve inviting American Idol losers, and that will not work.

And, new feuds. People seem to bash WWE for reusing feuds, well, I am sure I have already seen Team 3D vs LAX, and damn sure i don't want it again. Give us LAX vs MCMG, they will be fighting on house shows, they might as well make them feud.

New main eventers, TNA is doing this right, with Robert Roode now being in the title picture, but doing it correctly. Lethal got a nice rub beating Angle, only to then lose the next night. Kaz, he got put in a team with Super Eric. Or how about Chris Harris, stealing the show on the KOTM, then feuding Cage, only to end feuding...Black Reign.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Stop writing storylines that require bringing in a wrestler, and then releasing the wrestler immediately afterwards. I'm sure there were people who really got into Payton Banks and Judas Mesias, and they pretty much got a huge middle finger up their asses for it.

Qwake

They need to listen to the fans more, most people really like MCMG but they don't use them now, they should have atleast X-Division match a week and they need to fire alot of guys too. Then keep using guys like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Cage and Booker, all the real major guys. They should also not have so many gimmick matches on normal shows maybe just 1 once and a while, thats what I think...

Pippa

They could definately do with focusing on the X division. That and bringing in Ultimate Warrior. Oh my God, I'd love it!

J

I agree...Don't bring Warrior in...The guys a nut...Didn't Scott Hall prove anything to anyone...You can trust old washed up lunatic wrestlers of old...

Pippa

There's no doubt he's insane. But he's drawn like, 15000 seats in Barcelona. And if TNA brought him in ratings would sky rocket. Would love to see Hall and Nash together again actually...

J

Are you sayin' to bring him in as a 1 time only way of drawing ratings...Cuase then maybe...just maybe i could see the point in that...but as a full time superstar...No way...and i dought we'll see Hall and Nash back together...Cuase TNA managment doesn't trust Hall after his last no show...

Pippa

I think Warrior would definately inject some energy into the proceedings. He's looking in good shape, little grey perhaps but the curiosity factor would have people tuning in, at least for pure nostalgia.
I was just joking about Scott Hall, I think he's a bit of a mutt, and I don't blame TNA for steering clear of him in the future.

JHar888

There's lots TNA could do to increase ratings. First off, note that the product has house shows running in, and out of the U.S. They should just take a break from the iMPACT! Zone for a month or so, then they could expose themselves to a large audience outside of Orlando on TV. Face it TNA, you guys are running house shows in places like Essex, Coventry, and the Liverpool Olympia...why not have the iMPACT! tapings there to give the fans a new perspective on how big TNA really is, where they are capable of performing, and the fans that come to see them live. If people notice that TNA is in a bigger arena, the viewers will notice that TNA isn't some kind of joke, and know that the company can draw in other areas. I think fans would probably like to see this, so the ratings could increase.

Secondly, they could stop the humorous skits that we've seen weekly for the past nine months, and get done to business. Management should try to plot out a storyline revolving around two top stars, and teaming them with two future stars of the wrestling world today. This could form a heel stable similar to Evolution, and help create stars out of lower midcarders. Try Booker T and Kurt Angle, with two young guys like James Storm and Johnny Devine. Angle could challenge Joe, Devine could have the X-Division title, and Booker and James Storm could have the Tag Titles. If management used a stable properly, they may attract viewers.

If none of this works, they could just put up flyers on Stop signs. That always works for the missing dogs...

Rell

TNA is probably in for some of its worst ratings in a while, in the coming weeks. The NBA Finals are pretty hyped at this point, the whole Lakers/Celtics history, and the build surrounding it, is epic. iMPACT will be going head to head with it, and with the replay show Saturday, it would be much easier to watch the game, and catch the replay on a later date.

MikeRaw

There's lots TNA could do to increase ratings. First off, note that the product has house shows running in, and out of the U.S. They should just take a break from the iMPACT! Zone for a month or so, then they could expose themselves to a large audience outside of Orlando on TV. Face it TNA, you guys are running house shows in places like Essex, Coventry, and the Liverpool Olympia...why not have the iMPACT! tapings there to give the fans a new perspective on how big TNA really is, where they are capable of performing, and the fans that come to see them live. If people notice that TNA is in a bigger arena, the viewers will notice that TNA isn't some kind of joke, and know that the company can draw in other areas. I think fans would probably like to see this, so the ratings could increase.

Secondly, they could stop the humorous skits that we've seen weekly for the past nine months, and get done to business. Management should try to plot out a storyline revolving around two top stars, and teaming them with two future stars of the wrestling world today. This could form a heel stable similar to Evolution, and help create stars out of lower midcarders. Try Booker T and Kurt Angle, with two young guys like James Storm and Johnny Devine. Angle could challenge Joe, Devine could have the X-Division title, and Booker and James Storm could have the Tag Titles. If management used a stable properly, they may attract viewers.

If none of this works, they could just put up flyers on Stop signs. That always works for the missing dogs...

LOL, about the heel stable part, are you kidding me?
No offense to Devine and Storm, but there is no way that Devine and Storm are the future of the wreslting industry.
Evolution was made for the future stars of wrestling, and it worked out, look at Orton and Batista, the top two wwe guys. And your saying to have a similar concept, but Storm and Devine are not the future... If they wanted, TNA could still do it just as two old guys and two young guys, for the short term, but overall it wont change anything.
IMO, if they did that type of stable, it would have to be with different guys, although I dont know who, cause I dont see anyone in TNA being the future of wrestling...

Anyways, as for this thread, TNA really cant do much. If people arent interested, they arent interested.
if they bring in older guys, it wont work, as other wrestling fans will just not want to see it, because those guys are past their time and arent a draw (other than Flair and Hogan)
And if they bring in ex WWE guys, it wont make a difference. Look how they brought in Angle, Christian, Steiner, Tomko, etc and it stayed the same. that wont work, because WWE fans realise that those guys can be repleaced, and it wont change anything.

So my point is, adding random guys isnt going to help them. because all that does is push their own guys out of the roster, for other guys who wont help ratings either. TNA needs to stick to their own guys and build from withing. Thats what all companies need to do.
Look at WWE (not to sound like a sheep) but honestly, their whole core are homegrown guys, and it takes alot longer than 5 years to do that, which is why TNA is nowhere near WWE level yet.
Anyways, IMO, dont bring in anyone else (Lashley wont increase ratings btw) and just grow with their own guys, cut down on the run ins, and the stupid skits.
But above all else, stop overbooking. Every time I tune into iMpact, I always see the show ending with like 10 guys randoly teamed up fighting eachother. Basically, TNA has too many short term alliances if you know what I mean.
So I think they need to get back to basics, of just the wrestling and normal storylines. Because they cant even compete with wwe storylines-wise, so no point trying. If they stick to awesome matches, and focus more on themselves, ratings may not go up, but they definatel ywont go down.