What makes a commentator good?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Testify

Bully
Reaction score
Website
i.imgur.com
Jim Ross is a great example of being good (at least) commentator.

The others I have major respect for too: Gorilla Monsoon, Bobby Heenan, Eric Bischoff, Don West, Todd Keneley, Excalibur (from PWG), even Tony Schiavone.

Watch their tapes, watch how the moves and product is being sold. How wrestling is called the right way.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Someone calling the match, not promoting the WWE App. .

You realize this is the company's fault and not any one announcer, right? It's not like Cole decides to promote the app without being told to do so.

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
JR.

Quick edit he made that HIAC match between Foley and Taker as the match isn't fantastic really as Foley is out if it but the way JR called it just added that tangible excitement an made it a GOAT match.

Trip in the Head

Jester of Darkness
Reaction score
You realize this is the company's fault and not any one announcer, right? It's not like Cole decides to promote the app without being told to do so.

Yeah I had thought that same thing. That's like saying you want the announcers not to say "WWE is brought to you by (insert product placement here)". Its part of their job.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
So many different things can go into what makes a good comentator. I would say a counterpart to even the commentary as much as possible. I like the homer, i like the bad guy, i love the face/heel deal, i only hate people like Tazz who are more interested in bringing up their opinion on everything. It's the same as in baseball.

louissiscool

The Artiste
Reaction score
Am i the only person here who likes tazz and lawler as commentators? It is very hard to say what exactly makes a good a anouncer/commentator i guess it is having a vast knowledge of what your commenting on and being genuinely passionate about it.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
This is what Lance Storm once wrote about Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura being a good commentary team. What he says pretty much sums up the topic enough for me:

I also thought Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura were awesome on commentary. They added so much and were so good together. They talked about the matches like they were real sporting contests and best of all despite one being a heel and the other a face they often agreed on points that were obvious and thus came off so much more credible. I guess the difference was they sounded like sportscasters describing the action and giving insight, where today announcers often come off like company shills trying to sell the product to you. It’s a small point but constant use of terms like, “WWE Universe” sound unnatural and just remind me, as a viewer, that the wrestlers and the announcers are all part of the same con and just trying to sell the product to me, where back then it felt more like a real sport, and Jesse and Gorilla were part of a broadcasting team and more independent of the storylines and angles.

I'd also add that JR really carried the emotion so well at times that he made the business feel legitimate, even though we all know it's not. The Taker/Mankind HIAC match at KOTR '98 (as someone has already brought up) is a perfect example.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Am i the only person here who likes tazz and lawler as commentators? It is very hard to say what exactly makes a good a anouncer/commentator i guess it is having a vast knowledge of what your commenting on and being genuinely passionate about it.

They were good back in the day, but neither is really bearable at this point.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score

I understand that. They're obviously going to do many plugs, but I'd rather have it before or after matches/segments, not during it.

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Calling the matches,and,selling the spots/returns/debuts/etc etc.. When I'm listening to commentary I don't wanna hear them talking about each other's outfits,looks,and, whenever something cool happens I want to hear the commentary team try to make it seem like a huge moment instead of focusing on something else.

Mr. Perfect

Jobber
Reaction score
The best commentator of all-time was Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.

Now that that's out of the way, I think the most important thing for a commentator to do is to make what we are watching feel real. That's what makes J.R. such a legend, he brings a sense of realism. When J.R. is announcing a big match, I feel like I'm watching a real contest between two competitors. When Cole is announcing, I know I'm watching a spectacle, a show for amusement. J.R. can tell a story AND keep the realistic vibe, and that's what separates him.

I like it when a commentator can convincingly bring in the "sports" aspect of sports-entertainment.

The only commentator I enjoy in today's WWE is JBL, JBL is good. He sort of reminds me of Jesse Ventura, who is another legendary commentator right up in the class of J.R., Gorilla, and Heenan.

Also, I found Booker T absolutely hilarious when they had him commentating.