What makes a commentator good?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
We all agree that wrestling commentary isn't anywhere close to what it should be, between the Cole/Lawler, Tenay and Taz, and even the lackluster NXT pairings.

So, what are some specific examples of what makes for good commentary? What do they need to look for when searching for new commentary teams? What do the current announcers need to improve on?

Discuss.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Someone calling the match, not promoting the WWE App. Giving updates on the current storylines in the matches. Someone who is neutral on all talents like Jim Ross, rather than having a heel and face commentator. Something like that.

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
Someone who makes thoses memorable moments even more memorable,Jim Ross calling that HITC match between Foley and Taker. The way he said"my god he is broken in half" really made me feel compelled and rooting for Foley. Ross draws you in and he calls the moves and has a great knowledge of the industry.Also he can be funny at times.

Farooq

Chairwoman of The New Day
Reaction score
The way they sell stuff, connect to the fans at home, and how they call a match. The way JR called surprising moments like Kane coming out on his debut to tombstone The Undertaker, he was screaming and yelling. It felt like he was really surprised to see Kane, and in complete shock. They also need to stop with the constant WWE App, it just annoys people and makes them feel like robots. The Twitter feeds of the fans are fine by me, as long as they're legit tweets. And they need to call the moves correctly in the match, I remember Micheal Cole calling a submission move by CM Punk the Anaconda Vice, when it didn't even look like the move at all. I think those are the three aspects of what makes a good commentator in my opinion.

Trip in the Head

Jester of Darkness
Reaction score
I think the Heel/Face commentator pairing is good. I also think there should be a third "tweener" one to act as a kind of buffer between the other two. And they should know the names of the moves being performed and the CORRECT NAMES OF THE WRESTLERS (its Eva Marie JBL, not MARIA)

I always saw Jim Ross as a Face commentator though. Did I miss something? He was always my favorite because he knew the move's names. ALL OF THEM, lol. And his catchphrases were awesome.

Micheal Cole's surprised reactions are ok. Like at the end of SummerSlam (What the HELL!?) But then again anybody could just say that I suppose. I am getting really tired of his "vintage" whoever though.

I generally laugh at Lawler. Sorry, but its true. Maddox as an announcer on NXT > RAW GM Maddox IMO.

Trip in the Head

Jester of Darkness
Reaction score
Oh cool

EDIT: WOW, what a friggin difference. I have never seen Cole like that before.

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Entertaining. Ross selled stuff so well it was entertaining. AJ and JBL were hilarious on Smackdown commentary.