What is the Current State of TNA?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sabretooth

Reaction score
We had this discussion last night so I decided to put it in a thread. TNA (some feel) have made some bad decisions as of late and it seems attendance is going down. So Wrestling Punks, what is the current state of TNA.

Here's something to start with:

- There are 18 upper level sections in the building where TNA taped Impact last night. Only seven of those were sold. There are 18 sections in the Mezzanine level. They sold tickets in three of them. Not a good sign for TNA taking the show on the road.

The Viper

Reaction score
They'll be dead in a year...

In all seriousness, they're in a huge, deep hole right now. I can imagine the shit storm that's happening backstage as we speak. Obviously, the financial issues, the releases, them not even making their money back at live events, cancelling some live events, etc. It's horrible. They're still capable of putting on a good show, as we saw last night (despite the horrible debut of Tito fuckin' Ortiz), but the backstage happenings is a huge issue right now that needs to be solved if they wanna stay afloat.

Maybe they should bring back Vince Russo as a writer and on screen character. I'd fucking love that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joey

Reaction score
They'll be dead in a year...

In all seriousness, they're in a huge, deep hole right now. I can imagine the shit storm that's happening backstage as we speak. Obviously, the financial issues, the releases, them not even making their money back avy live events, cancelling some live events, etc. It's horrible. They're still capable of putting on a good show, as we saw last night (despite the horrible debut of Tito fuckin' Ortiz), but the backstage happenings is a huge issue right now that needs to be solved if they wanna stay afloat.

Maybe they should bring back Vince Russo as a writer and on screen character. I'd fucking love that.

Idk about the Russo thing, but you hit the nail on the head. Soon enough, TNA is going to be buried alive by corporate screwjobs such as Hulk Hogan. It sounds pitchy, but its true. I really don't know what to think about TNA anymore. A few years back, I think they were on the right track, and i'm all for retribution, and new beginnings, but I really dont think TNA has what it takes to stick around much longer.

The Viper

Reaction score
Idk about the Russo thing, but you hit the nail on the head. Soon enough, TNA is going to be buried alive by corporate screwjobs such as Hulk Hogan. It sounds pitchy, but its true. I really don't know what to think about TNA anymore. A few years back, I think they were on the right track, and i'm all for retribution, and new beginnings, but I really dont think TNA has what it takes to stick around much longer.

Some can disagree and some might think it's cliche but Hogan is a cancer to TNA. When Hogan came in, when it comes to backstage stuff, shit hit the fan. They'd have the occasional 1.0 rating but overall, their ratings since the week after Jan 4th have been horrendous and add to the fact that he pushed Dixie to taking the show on the road when they obviously weren't ready is another reason why he's a cancer to the company. He's one of the reasons TNA is losing money. They'd be just fine if they were still in the IZ.

Joey

Reaction score
Agreed. He's in such a rush to make TNA the second WCW, and he's doing pretty well doing so.

TNA is no where near ready to go on the road. They nee to focus on advertisement, and really getting TNA out there.

Let me use this as an example, as ive used it before. At Slammiversary, TNA's premier summer PPV, they couldnt sell out the Agganis Arena. The Boston University Hockey Arena.

The AA seats 7,200 people.

When I was there, a whole 2 sections of the arena was vacant.

If you watch the show, they had to do weird camera angles to make sure they didnt show the empty seats.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Some can disagree and some might think it's cliche but Hogan is a cancer to TNA. When Hogan came in, when it comes to backstage stuff, shit hit the fan. They'd have the occasional 1.0 rating but overall, their ratings since the week after Jan 4th have been horrendous and add to the fact that he pushed Dixie to taking the show on the road when they obviously weren't ready is another reason why he's a cancer to the company. He's one of the reasons TNA is losing money. They'd be just fine if they were still in the IZ.

But how many people have been screaming for them to go on the road? A lot. They need this to help them see where they need to go and grow. Do they need to travel as much? No I think just at least once a month not including PPV's and they should be fine.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The Viper

Reaction score
But how many people have been screaming for them to go on the road? A lot. They need this to help them see where they need to go and grow. Do they need to travel as much? No I think just at least once a month not including PPV's and they should be fine.

Well, TNA should have realized they weren't ready financially to go on the road in the first place. No matter what the fans want. Why listen to the fans anyway? WWE isn't a big fan of it, why should TNA? :lol:

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Well some might say that not taking TNA on the road wasn't getting them exposure.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Well, TNA should have realized they weren't ready financially to go on the road in the first place. No matter what the fans want. Why listen to the fans anyway? WWE isn't a big fan of it, why should TNA? :lol:

I think it's less of an issue of TNA going on the road because people have been asking RVD where he has been for years and he has been in TNA. People don't know who TNA is either because they don't know about TNA or don't care to know. I know when they did that Jan 4th thing they advertised it enough on other places but I still think they need to out up commercials on other stations to gain more attention. If I were them at least a few commercials during Raw and smackdown I see raw commercials during Impact so why not

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Lol I read about how people kept asking rvd why he retired even though he was in TNA. Really good exposure they've got.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
TNA is in the midst of a meltdown which is a real shame, because in my own unbiased opinion, they've been putting on some of the best television I've seen in a while from their company. I admit I fell off of their bandwagon for a while post-Roode era but this is still a great company. People call them out for not building new talent, which is unfair to them. Bully is old, but he's a new talent that WWE never would have tapped into it. Furthermore, you have Roode, Aries and Sabin waiting to carry the company once Angle, Sting and Hardy are out of the picture. They're making the X-Division look somewhat strong lately, the have a good concept in the Bound for Glory series and in all honesty, the MEM vs Aces angle isn't even that bad. Their problem is that they are simply hemorrhaging money.

It was brought up that taking Impact on the road was a mistake and that is somewhat true. People will buy tickets to see TNA live events whenever they tour so Impacts on the road aren't something they are in dire need of, but I defend the decision because there were tons of detractors out there calling them bush league for staying in the Impact Zone. Not only that, but the fans that were there to see them weren't usually wrestling fans, just tourists who happened to be visiting Universal Studios or Orlando. However, they were selling out at least. My suggestion to TNA would be this... stick with the 4 PPVs but hold them 3 months apart each. Do all of your PPVs on the road and spend only one month of TV time on the road. So basically, have Genesis on the road in the beginning of January. Then hold shows at the Impact Zone for the rest of January and February before going on tour in March en route to your PPV event Lockdown at the end of the month. You get to nest for the two months to let things develop in front of your capacity crowd and once your storylines are established you hit the road and go to major locations like Chicago and Nashville where the fans will come out before the big PPV blowoff. Once things cool off post-PPV, go back to Orlando where you'll sell out no matter what and go back on tour to build Slammiversary a month in advance. Basically, I suggest four monthly tours to coincide with the four PPVs they run. I'm not a businessman but that makes more sense to me if you're trying to make money.

Also, if you are losing money at such a high rate, stop running Xplosion and stop paying talent that isn't needed. I'm not talking about Angle and Sting either, I'm talking about Jay Bradley and Rockstar Spudd. I understand they have TV Contracts for Xplosion so they could fulfill those by having their wrestlers who perform on a salary to carry that show instead of having PPA guys on there. You're paying the contract guys money whether they work or not, so put them on Xplosion instead of paying the per-appearance wrestlers who don't draw, sell merch or really inspire the fans any. Once your Xplosion contracts run out, don't renew until you have a steady stream of revenue coming in again. One problem I think TNA has is being overambitious and they have a horrible history of programming including the ever terrible TNA ReAction and TNA Rewind shows which both tanked. Make Impact a hit first and then worry about expanding. It seems like basic knowledge.

Retarded Duckling

TNA is in a financial breakdown. How I know this? I was raised a WCW kid and I know when a company is about to lose there shit. Also, it's damn obvious.

Sent using my Rockstars Samsung galaxy mini!