What happened to heels in the WWE

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Altervers

Reaction score
It seems to me that when it comes to heels in the WWE anymore aren't what they should be. Don't get me wrong because their are some very good ones. But what i am commenting on is the lack of a monster like sadistic heel that really gets under fan's skin. Outside of Kane they are really lacking in that area and its something most wouldn't mind seeing more of.

So the question becomes why the lack of that type of heel, and who of the current roster has the potential to receive or pull of such a character. Would like to here what everyone thinks.

SAL

Reaction score
I feel like this is the wrong time to make this thread. A year ago, you'd be dead on. WWE has really missed the boat on creating heels who maintain credibility and get heat simply by being good and obnoxious. But in the last year: Alberto Del Rio won everything, Mark Henry dominated for 4-5 months, and now Kane is being pushed as a monster again. WWE's doing pretty well mixing things up in my eyes, as not every heel is a cowardly cheat-to-win heel anymore.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Pretty much what Sal said I mean you have Bryan now looking like the cowardly heel in ways waiting to happen but right it's been a while since we've seen WWE have monster heels run through shit like they had Mark do for a while there and Kane is doing right now. Dolph isn't really a chicken shit heel himself as he is a young cocky heel who doesn't really seem to care who he is against as he think he's that good.

Reaction score
I feel like this is the wrong time to make this thread. A year ago, you'd be dead on. WWE has really missed the boat on creating heels who maintain credibility and get heat simply by being good and obnoxious. But in the last year: Alberto Del Rio won everything, Mark Henry dominated for 4-5 months, and now Kane is being pushed as a monster again. WWE's doing pretty well mixing things up in my eyes, as not every heel is a cowardly cheat-to-win heel anymore.
Agree 100%, Orton used to be one of those heels who people loved to hate, he needs to go back to his old roots. CM Punk had a great gimmick with SES, but his current character actually brings life to the show. But you do still have the heels that get under people's skin. For example, The Miz really knows how to shake the crowd. And one of the best heels of all time will soon have the fans booing his ass off....Y2J himself...expect him to turn heel tonight or next week.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
They have built up some fantastic heels over the last year and I think they should stay with them instead of bringing in some huge monster heels just because they lack a few. They usually work well in WWE only because they are overpushed. The rising heels right now are working their asses off just to try to keep up with the Ortons, Cenas and even the Punks now. I wouldn't want to throw that away so I can see some more green, tall wrestlers...

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
The lack of monsters isn't the problem. It's the lack of truly downright despicable, unlikable heels.

WWE needs to quit trying to make everyone seem like regular people. Heels should do things the fans don't understand, do things that make people say, "Why on earth would someone do that? WTF is wrong with that guy?"

Motives are overrated. The less you understand, the more hate-able the villains are. The less they explain themselves, the more horrid options they have to inflict on babyfaces. The writers and bookers should never give the fans incentive to get behind the heel. Because if he's just attacking John Cena because he hates John Cena, then every fan that hates John Cena is going to get behind him.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Its because today's heels aren't as cartoony or as black/white as those in the past.

I'll agree on one thing, and that's the lack of a truly dspicable heel. My favourite heel of all time is Triple H circa 1999/2000. He was the most brutal, cruel, sadistic, selfish, cold and uncaring heel I've ever seen. The closest thing we have to that today would be The Miz and Alberto Del Rio, and they are still way off.

Not that I'm complaining about stuff, but I miss watching that sick son of a bitch Triple H, you know? Remember when the Power Trip had just formed and he and Austin were a tag team, then they closed the show by beating the ever loving shit out of Team Xtreme? I think HHH laid like a dozen chairshots into Lita. You'll never see that shit anymore.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Same with Bossman from the same couple years. Bossman was absolutely unbelievable.

That was the kind of heel you held a grudge against and it was damn near impossible to forgive, or turn babyface ever again.

ATKOOL

Reaction score
Orton is a face because tons of fans liked him even when he was a heel. Jericho isn't really a heel yet until his Punk fued. Henry didn't have great mic skills to be a strong heel. Wouldn't mind seeing Show get a heel turn o.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Its because today's heels aren't as cartoony or as black/white as those in the past.

I'll agree on one thing, and that's the lack of a truly dspicable heel. My favourite heel of all time is Triple H circa 1999/2000. He was the most brutal, cruel, sadistic, selfish, cold and uncaring heel I've ever seen. The closest thing we have to that today would be The Miz and Alberto Del Rio, and they are still way off.

Not that I'm complaining about stuff, but I miss watching that sick son of a bitch Triple H, you know? Remember when the Power Trip had just formed and he and Austin were a tag team, then they closed the show by beating the ever loving shit out of Team Xtreme? I think HHH laid like a dozen chairshots into Lita. You'll never see that shit anymore.

Evidence of the Triple H/Lita chair beatdown, because I recall no such thing.

Also, shades of grey turn heels into cool heels. Cool heels are the worst characters imo, they turn someone from red-hot to lukewarm in a matter of months, simply based of the fact that it makes it impossible for certain people to dislike you.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Still one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen a heel do to this day. Literally cringed at the Lita chair shots but much props to her for being able to take that shit.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Lita dated Matt Hardy.

She's been through worse.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
:lol: this is true.

The most recent thing you could point to of somebody still being able to be a sick heel despite the whole PG thing is what Orton did to Steph in front of Triple H handcuffed. Very bad ass stuff there. Not as good as the powertrip beatdown but still.