What does the WWE need to do with Cody Rhodes?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Before I start this thread I want to say I am a big Rhodes fan, but I will try to be as un bias as possible and I'm not going to big him up like Hatred saying he should be World Champ instantly etc because that's just stupid but yeah nows that's out of the way let's get on with the thread.

A lot of people have recently been saying that Cody Rhodes is boring, average in the ring and poor on the mic... Please those who say Cody Rhodes is rubbish and an average Wrestler, please look back to his dashing gimmick and try to say that again. Really there's nothing wrong with the guy in the ring, and during the dashing gimmick he excelled on the mic and had confidence and great delivery, if he really is not as good as people make out then why did he have promo segments each week on Smackdown which all went for at least 6-7 minutes, WWE obviously had faith in him and he didn't disappoint. I could understand if he was a lazy worker and was an ass backstage but I've not heard any stories regarding this and as far as I'm aware he's fine. Sure, I'll admit that at this moment in time he's really gotten boring and tiring to watch, he doesn't do much interesting any more and he's become a generic heel. But is he the only generic heel in the company? Of course not, just take a look at your WWE IC Champion, yes he is a great mic worker, but apart from saying he's awesome he's just as generic as Rhodes.

So, where did it all go wrong? Well honestly I feel that the hot run for Rhodes ended when Orton broke his mask and removed it, in fact I'm pretty sure that the Orton feud killed a lot of momentum Rhodes had. I just didn't get the whole concept of that feud when Rhodes began it looking so strong, attacking Orton a few times and standing over his lifeless body, before being made to look like a complete fool. I mean what was the point in them even feuding when the IC Title wasn't even on the line and Orton was more of a Heavyweight Title contender at the time? Following on from this Rhodes didn't really feud with anyone up until Wrestlemania, no title defences, which let me remind the people hating on him for that, was the bookers fault. He feuded with the Big Show, which once again had him poorly booked and lost the title, after his match at 27 with Rey, and 26 with Orton and DiBiase, this was a massive step down and really there was no logic/need for him to lose the title to that waste of space Big Show. After winning the title at Extreme Rules, Cody Rhodes lost the title to the returning Christian at Over The Limit, to be honest I had no problem with this, because Christian is a great worker and worked well with Rhodes in the past (check Smackdown 2010? when Rhodes debuted on the brand), and I knew that Captain Charisma could help Rhodes to become a great Wrestler, because despite people say he's good, and I know he has potential to become great in ring if given the chance. The feud should of been great, but it really didn't turn out that good, for some reason WWE doesn't know how to correctly book a good heel/face midcard feud and with Christian as champ and getting wins over Rhodes it killed Rhodes's momentum once again and the feud never became anything exciting. Then came the WWE Money in the Bank...

Yeah, I'm going to start this bit in a different paragraph because I believe this was where the steam really ended for Rhodes. Originally Rhodes didn't get in the match, after a qualifying match where his partner the A-List (soon to be released list) David Otunga took the pin, Rhodes pleaded to the board of directors to give him another chance to get in the match. Rhodes got another chance and won in convincing fashion. After squirming his way back into the match, in heelish fashion I really thought that this good of been the start of good things for Rhodes. Going into the Money In The Bank, Rhodes and Ziggler were the clear favourites, and deservedly for him Ziggler won. I'm not disappointed Ziggler won as I'm a fan of the guy, but really I feel the win should've of gone to Rhodes and it was a huge hit on his career for him not to win after being one of the favourites 3 years in a row. Why should of Rhodes won it over Ziggler? Well, this is my opinion, but I feel it's shared by a lot of other people, and it's the fact that Ziggler already had enough tools to move up into the main event without the main event and didn't need the Briefcase to help him get over as much as Rhodes did. Sure, it may help Ziggler a bit, but in the long run it would've helped Rhodes a LOT more. Disagree with me? Well please, go a head and take a look at Daniel Bryan, the guy was a great in ring worker but wasn't over at all with the fans, the Money in the Bank helped him out a lot and made fans believe he COULD do it, it would've done the same for Rhodes in my opinion. Ziggler should've gone for the title and won it the proper way, which is become a number one contender and finally win it after failing so many times, it would've been a great way to see him finally overcome the odds, and too many guys are booked to win the title the cheap way with MITB cash ins these days... Anyway, following Money in the Bank, Rhodes has really fallen down the pecking order, which in my opinion is a huge shame, a feud with Sin Cara really isn't going to help because we all know that Sin Cara isn't going over...

So, after his recent poor run of form what does WWE need to do to get Rhodes back up there as a solid mid carder who finally enters the main event? Well, one option could be to bring back the Dashing or Grotesque gimmick. It may seem weird to bring back an old gimmick, but when both worked so well for him, it might be worth giving them another go and letting Rhodes run with them again, where he truly looked in his comfort zone. Another option could be to put the guy as the US Champion, but actually book him properly and have him defend it a lot, unlike he did with the IC Title. I mean let's face it Santino is an awful US Champion, and somehow even Cody Rhodes, a guy with zero momentum could be seen as a credible contender for the title with Santino's awful reign. Thinking of a new gimmick for him to go along with a possible US Title reign is quite tough, but considering Rhodes takes gimmicks many guys couldn't pull off and makes them work, I'm sure they could find something for him, perhaps something to do with him being above the values of typical Americans etc etc? Of course, after beating/feuding with Santino for the title, Rhodes would need to feud with other guys, and there's plenty of guys I'd love to see him face. First of all, I'd love to see him feud with Christian, not just a half hearted feud, a full blown well booked one in which both guys are made too look good, and Rhodes goes over in the end in a brutal battle. I strongly believe that Christian is the guy to help Rhodes master his in ring skills and take him to the next level. After speaking with Allen (Big Red Jericho Punk), we both agreed that although Rhodes had obvious potential in ring, but he doesn't take the next step and look like he's commanding the action, not only this but his in ring psycology is quite poor and I think Christian could help him improve this a lot. I'd also love to see Rhodes feud with Sheamus, not necessarily for the US title considering Sheamus is MASSIVELY over, but as sort of a grudge feud because I like the chemistry the guys have with each other and Rhodes would get a big rub with feuding off Sheamus. Other guys I'd like to see him feud with are Randy Orton (properly this time), Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler, of course Bryan and Ziggler are Heels right now but I expect one of them, if not Rhodes, to be a face in the future.

So that's what I think the WWE needs to do with Cody Rhodes to get him back on track. Quite honestly, even myself as a massive fan has become bored of the stuff he's doing recently, and although I think he's partly to blame, I think creative are hugely responsible considering the Dashing Gimmick was over quite a lot and the Grotesque gimmick did well too. Sure, I don't think Rhodes is on the level of Dolph Ziggler right now, but the guys 27, 5 years younger than Dolph, so there's no stopping Rhodes becoming just as great. He's not amazing in the ring, but as I've said before when facing guys like Christian, Rhodes does really well and I KNOW that he can become great. In terms of mic work, many say that his lisp hiders him. It's a valid point but to be honest it's not been a set back for him in the past, he cut really good promos during the dashing gimmick and the grotesque gimmick and he really sounded passionate and used a variety of voice tones to make things work. He's miles better than the other guy with a lisp in the WWE, Jack Swagger, and before he became a generic heel he owned Randy Orton in my opinion as well. Also, let's face it the guy has a pretty boy look, just like Ziggler, and this is a great tool for getting over. At the end of the day, I just hope Rhodes doesn't fall off completely and ends up like DiBiase, the guy in my eyes has huge potential and it would be sad to see this go to waste. I understand some of you will disagree with me and rip me apart, but I tried to be as un bias as I could and it's not like I bigged Rhodes up to the extent of saying he was the best at everything in the WWE because at the moment that is not true and even I admit that. Whilst Ziggler is the hot young star at the moment, and Sandow looks like he is going to be up their soon as well, I have confidence that Summer 2013 will see the rise of Cody Rhodes.

Thanks for reading this article, and I'd love to hear your responses.

Reactions: 1 person

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
My problem with Cody is his mic work, he sounds generic and sounds like every other guy in the locker room who isn't doing anything. To make matters worse i don't know if he still does it but during his promos he laughs at his own joke, really who does that. Another thing is his gimmick i can't tell the difference between him, Miz, Dolph, Kidd and the rest of the mid card. They are all doing the same damn thing.

Okay as for where it went wrong was was either the Booker or Show feud, I hated the Booker feud because it was week after week of Cody owning booker and getting cheap wins with no Clean win pay off. But from that he had a great showing in the Rumble and a okay showing in the Chamber but then went into a feud with show that was just about him embarrassing show about not having a WM moment so i think everyone knew Show was gonna win which ended up happening they had the rematch and Cody won the cheap heel was which didn't make him look strong at all. So i'm not gonna blame Cody for not being at the main guy level it's pretty much the bookers fault for not making him look like a strong champion, another thing i wanna say is a reason they still haven't pushed Cody is how over Bryan has become the past 2 months. I honestly believe if Bryan wasn't over Cody may have gotten the push but it's not needed right now.

What Cody needs right now is that feud with an established guy, maybe go back to Orton. If Jericho stays on past SummerSlam that would be a good chance to see what he can do. Or just turn him face and let him work with Dolph, Bryan maybe Del Rio.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Cody will be back in the picture again once WWE gets back on track with all these people currently in the midcard scene that they had fallen behind with, mainly Miz, Ziggler, and possibly Wade Barrett when he comes back. I'm not sure what's going on with Randy Orton either right now, but all these wrestlers are likely going to be reestablished through the midcard picture where Cody was making his stay.

Frankly, I don't even agree Cody has had a "run" yet. He's still very much open to multiple possibilities when the cycle comes back around to him. I admit, I definitely found Cody the most interesting when he had the mask, I thought that was a really good direction they were taking his character, but he can still move forward without it.

However, he definitely needs something that distinguishes him from his peers, whether it be through his physical appearance or just something gimmicky in his actions. He's a little raw and bland the way he is now, which in his particular case is not necessarily a bad thing. He's been repackaged more times than anyone in recent history that I can remember. He's a lot like a blank canvas that WWE can fill with any sort of character they want, which is why they keep coming back to him relentlessly over the years when they need a spot in the midcard filled. I'm not worried for him at all.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Oh god yeah that Booker feud sucked. I really don't remember one memorable feud during Rhodes's reign even though he was champ for ages.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I remember his matches with Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton but those weren't feuds for the belt.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
He's just stuck in midcard hell right now where he is just there and has no character direction like he at least had before. Like Fab said the feuds he's been in just have no pay off to it and they end up being pointless which don't help him at all. They need to get him in a feud where the full intent is putting him over and shows some kind of character direction other than I'm a heel and gonna insult the crowd and build from that as he kinda has to start all over.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Cody by himself is boring, he's average in the ring and average on the mic but, just as pretty much everyone else has said, there is nothing to distinguish him from all the other midcard guys.... Legion^^ was right that the best stuff he's done was with the mask and the paper bags.. It might not have been the best gimmick but it was at least different and worthy of a weekly spot and his mic work improved a ton when given the chance to do it week in and week out... Don't know what to do now as you can't really go back to an old gimmick but he needs something or he'll stay and die in lower midcard hell

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Others can disagree because people seem to hate rehashing feuds but the Rey feud is the one that really made him seem like a future star and going back to that could help elevate him back up. The fans love Rey and beating him in a feud always helps elevate a guy. It may not be ideal to do that again but they need to try something. I thought this guy had massive potential just a few months ago and he's just kinda there now. They need to do something before he gets stuck there. I personally thought he needed MITB for that reason alone, as I foresaw him getting lost in the shuffle.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
His latest incarnation is just very bland and he doesn't have the strength on the mic to be the ultra-cocky heel he's trying to be. However, his earlier Dashing gimmick and the deranged gimmick made it clear to me that Cody is capable of taking whatever ball he gets and running with it. Cody should be allowed to be creative but he needs a gimmick, or at least something that distinguishes him from the pack and let him build on it.

Cody has all the talent and potential one could ask for and everyone sees it but his character has been severely watered down. Cody probably could've used that fued with Jericho more than Ziggler (and personally I want Jericho to go back and fued with Barrett soon).

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
There is nothing left to do with Rhodes, the only thing he needs to do is try and get his hooks into someone on the creative team or better yet, buter up the boss and work for a damned push and stop waiting for his "chance".

But if he is currently doing that and still not where he wants to be, then maybe he does suck.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
He needs to show that he can be a top star he needs to push hard and now I'm not saying he needs to be like his dad or his brother but he while everyone says he has great promo skills I think he's boring at the moment he was better when he was Dashing now that gimmick got him heel heat.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
I don't think there's anything left for Rhodes as far as a gimmick goes. All the iconic character types are full. Unless the creative team tries something completely new...

...HEY! Stop laughing! I'm not done yet.

Unless they try something completely new, I don't see him going anywhere until one of their more established heels either leaves or drops to the mid cards.