Week in Review (3/18/12) - (3/28/12)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Time for my weekly reviews. This week will have TNA's Victory Road PPV included as well, along with the weekly shows. For future reference, PPVs will not be part of the top shows of the week, but will have the opportunity to win match or segment of the week. Also, if anyone is interested in making a graphic for the column, I'd like one. No specifications at all, just do what you want, because I'm not even sure what I want. Let's kick things off with Victory Road.

TNA Victory Road (3/18/12)

Chris's Thoughts: First off, I just want to say that if you thought WWE ever went overboard with Twitter, do not even give this PPV a look. More Twitter mentions during this one PPV than a week of WWE programming. I'm all for using Twitter, but when you shove it down our throats as bad as Tenay and Taz did, it's horrible. I'm fine with the little pop ups that shows what's trending, but that's really all I want, I kinda' even like those. Okay, the show starts with Bully Ray coming out. After a real good promo, which is come to be expected from him we get a match that was barely over a minute between him and Storm. I understand Storm has an injured ankle, but that was the biggest pile of monkey crap that I've seen. That was probably the match I was looking forward to the most on this whole PPV, and it opened it, barely lasting a minute. Had me chanting bullshit in my head for the rest of the show. X Division title match was next, not a bad match, but not good by a long stretch. Zema isn't impressing me like he once was, and really, he kinda' sucks. God knows why he even tried that moonsault from the outside after what happened to Jesse a month back. Probably wouldn't have been half as bad if Tenay didn't mention it afterwards. Highlight of the match was Aries actually tweeting mid-match, legit, he actually did this, I saw the tweet. The tag title match was next. Another match that wasn't all that bad, but not too good. I really loved the story in it with Crimson blatantly turning on Morgan. I'd much rather boo Crimson than cheer him myself, though I've been booing him for a year now. Glad the titles stayed the same. Still not a match worth watching at this point. Now we have the Robbie E open challenge. He teases letting a fan fight him until the almighty "Don't call me Reverend" Devon comes out and wins the belt in about three minutes. Horrible match and booking, but one thing I forgot to mention earlier is how hot this crowd is. One of the hottest PPV crowds TNA has had in a long time, really made the PPV more interesting than it was. Gail Kim vs Madison Rayne, actually match of the night so far, and real good Knockout's match, probably the best in a while. I enjoyed it a good bit. Kinda' wish Madison won the belt though, but that's just personal preference. Anderson/Styles vs Kaz/Daniels was probably the match I could care less about. I've been so confused during this feud that I just about quit caring. Man, how great was this match? Easily match of the night, and one of the better TNA matches all year, suburb tag team work, and a great finish. Highlight of the PPV. Angle vs Hardy was next, and it was an okay match, about like I expected. Crowd was real hot though, that was nice. I think it went on too long, and the ending wasn't bad, but the fact that Jeff was defeated by a roll up after kicking out of the Angle Slam was stupid and made the finisher look weak. If you're going to kick out of a finisher, don't get beat by a roll up. Now we come to the main event, Roode vs Sting. Man this was horrible. Only parts I even liked a little was when Roode was in control. Anytime Sting was in control, it was some of the most unrealistic stuff you'll ever see during a wrestling match, not a bit of it was believable. Probably one of the stupider endings I've seen recently too, both booking-wise and health-wise. Sting hit dead on the chair with the back of his head, really sick sounding and looking. Probably concussed him, and if it wasn't the planned finish, it might have had to do. Recklessness. The next 10 minutes or so were so unneeded, and so stupid. Roode teased hitting Dixie with a chair a few times, wouldn't have minded that, but it was so stupid. I don't even want to talk about it, or this travesty of a PPV any longer. Looks like it will be repeating as Worst Show of the Year, that one tag match was really good though.

Match of the Night: Styles/Anderson vs Kazarian/Daniels

Segment of the Night: Bully Ray's opener

Overall Rating: 2.5/10 (Note: I rate PPVs much harsher than weekly shows.)

WWE Monday Night Raw (3/19/12)​

Chris's Thoughts: We open with a CM Punk promo, nice to actually open with your champion. This was a great promo, especially after Jericho was added. If you recall my last column, I said that while I hated the promo last week, I thought it was more execution, but that the concept was brilliant. This was proven this week as Jericho was spot on this time, talking about Punk's sister, and Punk sold it so well, saying bullshit (PG rating? What PG rating?), and getting what looked like he was really angry, though I doubt he was. Nice stuff to open the show, really captivated me. First match was Kane vs Show. Thought this was really weird booking, but absolutely loved how they did it. Kane got a much needed win for him, while not making Show look weak, and the Rhodes/Show feud was furthered even more. Really enjoying that one. So far this Raw is miles better than last week's. Otunga vs Santino was bad, but it furthered the GM feud, which is really the whole point. I'm actually really enjoying that one too. Good stuff, other than the parts between the bell. We get a Rock promo next and HE IS LIVE...via satellite. Really good stuff from Rock here, thought it was really long for a promo not in the arena. I liked it though, and once again, great 'Mania build-up. Daniel Bryan vs Zack Ryder is next. Man, I'm really liking Bryan's asshole character now. A.J. fits perfectly into the role needed for his girlfriend too. Not a bad match, real short as it needed to be, but it kept Ryder relevant. Cena vs Henry wasn't so good, but at least it lasted longer than 3 minutes. Not as bad as I expected it, and the last few moments were alright, even a spot where I thought Henry was really about to hit the WSS and win. I'm a fool. I liked the bit where Rock came out and laid out Henry, thought Henry was the wrong guy for that, but it was something different, and I liked it. Once again, much better Raw than last week. The Miz cutting another promo about how he will be involved with 'Mania, start listening guys, they're building him not having a match up way too much for him not to do anything. Sheamus vs Miz was meh, wish Sheamus would use Finlay's Celtic Cross as a finisher more often instead of the Brogue Kick, hate the Brogue Kick because he doesn't even do it right anymore. I don't think the Orton interview could have been more pointless, no real thoughts on that, just shouldn't have happened. The tag match that followed was the best match of the night, though it wasn't even notable. They were definitely focused on building up 'Mania more than matches tonight. Good stuff from Truth, Kofi, Ziggler and Swagger though, love that Ziggler got the win. Next we get a promo from HBK, HHH, and 'Taker to close the show. Real good stuff from all three men. I couldn't be more hyped for their match, and I didn't even want it to happen at first. They're teasing so much. That HBK smirk at the end could not have been more perfect. Love it. Much better Raw this week.

Match of the Night: Kofi/Truth vs Ziggler/Swagger

Segment of the Night: HBK/HHH/'Taker

Overall Rating: 6.8/10

WWE Smackdown (3/23/12)

Chris's Thoughts: Smackdown started off with a promo by Daniel Bryan and A.J. Bryan's character right now is so completely and utterly awesome. He's such a dick to A.J., but she's so in love with him, she doesn't notice. He had her cut a promo about how great he was that even included her saying he was a great lover. Sheamus came out and cut the generic face WrestleMania promo, but it was pretty good, better than his promos the past couple of weeks. The first match was a very good one between Henry and Truth that got Henry his much needed win after losing to Cena on Monday. So far, this is a good show, about as good as last week's possibly a little better. Next we had A.J., with Bryan of course against Brie Bella, which was a pretty good Bellas match, that being said, still not so good, but watchable. The story with Bryan and A.J. continued, so great. A.J. is perfect for the role too because she's not really like the other divas, she's not "hot," but she's "cute." After the match, Nikki cut one of the worst promos in history saying that her and her sister don't agree on everything, saying she wants Team Teddy to win and getting the crowd to chant Teddy. Man that was horrible. Zack Ryder vs Jack Swagger was next. Um, I'm a big Ryder fan, but most definitely not for his ring skills, they're average at best. That being said, this match was freakin' amazing, maybe the best match of Ryder's career, hot damn it was good. Match of the Night right here, and the ending also didn't make Swagger look bad. Big Show vs Kane was another surprisingly good match. I'm okay with the ending being a disqualification because Cody interfered, but it just looked stupid. Cody looked like he missed Show for one when he came in, then nothing happened after that. Not very well executed. Brodus vs Heath Slater was next. Heath Slater also got quite a bit of offense in this short match, knocking Brodus down to the ground not once, but twice. Not a very good match, but then again, none of Brodus's are because it's the same thing over and over, gotta' change it up some. Why does The Great Khali still have a job in wrestling? Worst wrestler in a WWE/TNA/ROH in a while. Ziggler actually made this match alright though, not good, but much better than any Khali matches lately. This GM feud is continuing to grab my attention no matter how bad I think it should be, it's really good. Great booking with that match, though some may not feel so. I didn't get to watch much of the main event other than the first 3 minutes, so I can't give an accurate opinion on how good it was, though I think it should have been allotted more time. Miz took job again, continuing to build him up for some 'Mania moment with these, I just know it. Real good show, other than the horrible Bella promo and Khali ruining wrestling.

Match of the Night: Jack Swagger vs Zack Ryder

Segment of the Night: Opener

Overall Rating: 7.0/10

WWE NXT (3/21/12)​

Chris's Thoughts: We start the show with Curt Hawkins vs Justin Gabriel. This match was only allotted like 3 minutes, should have been at least 7, but nonetheless, it was real good in that short time with Hawkins doing the job. Darren Young vs Jimmy Uso was a good match too, thought the ending really sucked. It felt liked Young took forever and a day to do his finisher after he started setting it up. The feud between Titus and Young and the Usos has been pretty good so far. This is where it gets good. Josh receives word that his car has been stolen from the parking lot. Already laughing as he leaves. We then go backstage and find out that Maxine and Johnny Curtis are behind this and that Josh's car wasn't really stolen. Striker is about to walk past them, and Maxine tells Johnny to get rid of him, so he puts a rag of chloroform on his face and incapacitates him! In this absolutely hilarious segment we find out that Maxine did this so she could be alone with William Regal at commentary and get off this show. Percy Watson vs Tyler Reks is next. It was a pretty good match, but completely overshadowed by Maxine giving William Regal a freakin' foot massage during it. Funny stuff. Josh returns to commentary, and after another hilarious backstage segment, it's revealed that Curtis lost Striker and that some people have him, oh man, I'm in tears laughing right now. Next we get a video package, yes they made a freakin' video package on this Tyson Kidd/Michael McGillicutty feud, and I'm so glad. The match was real good, a little slower paced than I expected, but still very entertaining to watch. Not a fan of roll-up endings much, but this was nice, and I'm glad Tyson got the pin, as the feud is still going to continue. Great stuff. Very good show.

Match of the Night: Tyson Kidd vs Michael McGillicutty

Segment of the Night: First backstage segment with Maxine, Curtis and Striker

Overall Rating: 6.3/10

WWE Superstars (3/22/12)​

Chris's Thoughts: We start the show with Epico and Primo (with Rosa :Giggity:) vs Alex Riley and Mason Ryan. Really good match here actually. Ryan was barely in it, which was probably for the better, and I really liked the closing moments. Don't think they could have made that one much better, good job. Next we have Eve and Beth teaming up against Tamina and Natalya. Apparently Nattie's a face now, must've missed that one...Not a bad match at all, and Eve is looking so hot as a heel. The ending sucked though, Eve botched her Moonsault really bad, hit her with one leg, sucked. Next we have a glorified squash with Yoshi Tatsu facing Titus O'Neil. I say glorified because Yoshi got more offense in than your normal squash. Really boring match, the ending looked pretty cool though. Titus still sucks. Next match was Ezekiel Jackson vs Drew McIntyre. Good match, Jackson's best in a long while. I marked out hard with McIntyre won, I couldn't believe it. I don't care if it was on Superstars, he won a legit match.

Match of the Night: Epico and Primo vs Alex Riley and Mason Ryan

Segment of the Night: N/A

Overall Rating: 5.9/10

Impact Wrestling (3/22/12)​

Chris's Thoughts: Okay, time for what was my favorite show last week, though not nearly as good as it's been. Hopefully after that travesty of a PPV, TNA can bounce back with a great Impact. Well we started off with 4 wasted minutes of the end of Victory Road. Didn't even want to see that the first time. Still Optimistic that this will be good. Dixie Carter comes out, losing faith. She cuts what I guess you would call a promo, though she makes that Smackdown Bella promo look like a Rock promo. Sting is out next and he says he can no longer be the GM because he wants to train and start wrestling on a regular basis again. Oh joy. He says the new GM will be Hulk Hogan, and tells Dixie to trust him. Only high point is that the crowd is real hot, which is odd because when the stuff was good they were dead. Impact Zone peeps are weird. We get a nice Bully promo, he's still great. Great X Division title four way here. I think Tony Nese looked real impressive except for one embarrassing botch, that may have been Kash's fault, but was still hilarious. Bully interrupted the match and attacked all four men, good stuff. Okay, maybe the show can be saved from that horrible opener. Now we go to the parking lot where Mexican America (they're still here) are trying to stop their car from getting repossessed by the star of Spike's Operation Repo ripoff show. Can't make this up. He says if they can win tag gold tonight, he won't take the car. This sucks. Now we the second Knockout's Tag Title defense in less that a month. Maybe the world really is ending this year. They plug EY and ODB's wedding once more, FML. Not a horrible match when the girls were involved, decent wrestling, started sucking once Young started doing his comedy bit. Nothing even made sense, EY needs a better gimmick, he's such a good wrestler. Crimson cuts a promo slightly better than Dixie's. I like him better as a heel simply because I'm supposed to boo him now, after all I've been booing him for over a year now. Not a very good Impact at all after the first hour, easily the worst of the year. We then get one of the greatest video packages I've ever seen TNA produce however with the Storm/Roode feud. It showed their beginnings, where Roode was in Team Canada, and Storm in AMW. Was really good, I'd watch it over and over instead of the second hour of the show. Good promo from Storm followed that involved Roode's lawyer coming out and getting kicked in the face. Good stuff, turned out to be the only good part of the show. No comment on Garett vs Kurt, shouldn't have even made the show. Garett doesn't deserve to be in the wrestling business. Joe and Crimson retained against Mexican America in an okay match that show that Operation Repo ripoff guy come out and take the girls to allow Joe and Magnus to win. Stupidness. Afterwards the girls left with him because the Mexican America guys couldn't keep the car. This literally makes 0 sense. I forgot to say this earlier, but Hardy vs Angle is happening at Lockdown. They're match at the PPV wasn't too bad, should have been better, but I think the cage may actually help them a lot, and they may have a damn good match then. Anytime for our Handicap main event. After communication problems, Storm defeated Kaz and Daniels, whoopty-doo. Now we close the show with a promo by Dixie, Sting, and Hogan. This was horrible, that is all. Horrible show, especially compared to the last 2-3 months or so.

Match of the Night: X Division Title

Segment of the Night: If that amazing vignette of the Storm/Roode feud doesn't count, then I pick Storm's promo

Overall Rating: 3.2/10

Ring of Honor Wrestling (3/17/12)​

Chris's Thoughts: We start the show off with Adam Cole vs Chris Silvio. I'm a huge fan of Adam Cole, been loving that guys ring work for years now, so I'm glad he's getting some exposure. I've seen a little of Silvio, and it's the exact opposite. He oversells everything, and horribly I might add. Has a stupid 70s character, and just plain sucks. This match sucked to because of him, but afterwards, the O'Reilly/Cole feud was furthered, which I'm really happy that that's happening. Next we have a promo by Kevin Steen. Spot on stuff by the best thing in wrestling at the moment. This guy is just plain great. Cornette came out towards the end and announced that Steen will be facing a returning El Generico at Showdown in the Sun Day 1. Cornette hasn't lost a step either, still a genius on the mic. They need to have him and Steen have more wars of words, good stuff always happens when they're together. On Inside ROH, we hear some great stuff from Lance Storm, The Briscoes and Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team hyping SitS. Only two matches tonight as Roderick Strong and Jay Lethal is about to start. This is a March Mayhem qualifier. There will be four of these, and the winners of those four matches will face in a four way to win I think it was $24,000. Good concept, obviously based on March Madness, should be fun. Real good match, expected Roddy to get the win, but Elgin interfering accidentally cost him the match. They seem to be foreshadowing a break up with them, hopefully with Elgin going out on his own, he's a beast. Loved the match, though I didn't care too much for the ending, mainly because ROH has been having too many roll-up wins lately, I'm fine with them, but their becoming almost the norm. Great show though, other than that horrible first match.

Match of the Night: Roderick Strong vs Jay Lethal

Segment of the Night: Steen/Cornette promo

Overall Rating: 6.1/10, would probably be higher if that first match didn't suck so bad, a great promo, great Inside ROH, and great main event helped out a lot though.

Match of the Week: Kaz/Daniels vs Styles/Anderson

Segment of the Week: Steen/Cornette

Top Shows of the Week: 1. WWE Smackdown (Last week: 4) 2. WWE Raw (5) 3. WWE NXT (3) 4. Ring of Honor Wrestling (2) 5. WWE Superstars 6. Impact Wrestling (1)

Last edited:

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
This is making me believe that Smackdown would be the better choice. But that thing on NXT with the car was hilarious! TNA should stop trying to bring in TV stars! I love the Operation Repo guys. If that was really them, I don't know, I rarely watch Wrestling!

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
It wasn't guys from Operation Repo, it was a guy from Spike's Repo Games, which is a ripoff of Op. Repo.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I don't think it was that, pretty sure it was Spike making them do this to promote the show.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Nice little thread you have going here Chris, first time I have read it and really enjoyed it, even if I didn't agree with everything.

As you will already know if you read my SD review I completely disagree with you on this weeks show.

I take your point on the A.J./Bryan storyline, and to her credit she is playing her part well, but to me it just comes across as weak comedy stuff which is more midcard than world title. Also it takes the focus off the Sheamus dispute and the title. I think they should be doing more with Bryan as a heel and I think A.J. would be better off going solo.

Have to say that if that was Ryder's best match of his career then it can't have be much of a career so far.

Agree with you about the headliner, it was my MOTN, but it needed to be given longer.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
It may have been mine, but I didn't see it other than the 3 minutes or so before the final commercial break, so I obviously couldn't give it MOTN.

The Nicker

Reaction score
I have to say that I really cannot wait for your next edition and what your opinion is on Wrestlemania. Should be an interesting read.

I must say though that this week has been lack-luster in terms of entertainment on T.V. As far as build, it has been great. The sole purpose of everything WWE this last week was to get us to feel like we didn't get what we want so we can look for that during Wrestlemania. It's good booking to make the week lack-luster but show promise of a great following week.

TNA however has been getting so much better but the last couple of weeks have sucked ass. I really want them to get rid of Hogan, and I don't understand why Aries is a face now. They have enough faces, and if Aries needs to lose the X-Division title if he is going to be main eventing and stuff. That division sucks and it is dragging him down.