• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

weddings/funerals

Y2Jasmine

Reaction score
Why is it acceptable for people to cry at weddings, but it is not acceptable to laugh at funerals?

Im not saying that I have ever cried at a wedding, because I havent. Alot of people seem to think that 'tears of happiness' is the explanation for this. But if tears of happiness is an accepted theory then why isnt laughs of sorrow? I have never laughed at a funeral either but I saw the question asked by someone else, and thought I would get your guys' thoughts on the theory.

LadyHotrod

I think the laughing isn't accepted because the situation has to do with death and,even though laughing is actually a way some people deal with death, society thinks of laughing as "not caring" and thinking the situation is a joke.

MikeRaw

Its simple.
You cry at a wedding with tears of joy and disbelief,. Like, your happy someone your close to is getting married, so its in no way disrespectful... At a funerral, why would you laugh? Laughing isnt showing any form of compassion or anything, so I dont see why laughing would be there.
and who the hell laughs of sorrow? lol.
If your happy, you smile, and sometimes cry.
if your sad, you cry, from, etc, but not laugh.

Basically, crying at a wedding is acceptable because crying can be for both sad and happy. But laughing is really only accepted as one emotion, which is a form of happiness.

Great One

Because society sucks, that's why.

And it's a matter of expressing bodily functions. Why do you sweat when you work out and not when you're sitting down? Yeah.

The Mac

Reaction score
When my mum told me my grandad had died, I burst out laughing. I dont know why, as I was really upset. I think different people control emotions differently so people should be able to do what the fuck they like at a funeral if it's not disrespectful.

Hometown Kid

Yeah I agree this whole topic is kinda ridiculous...I mean say your wife/husband died and 1 of their friends got on the stage and he started laughing...would you want to hug him or kick the living shit out of them?

Rell

Reaction score
I've never cried at a funeral, not sure why. There were times when everyone around me were in tears, and I just sat there. Its not like I don't care, but I mean, crying is pointless. It causes stress, and stress is something I try to stay away from. Its not like crying will cause the dead chick (or dude) to rise from the casket, so why do it. I understand being sad, but crying? Please...

As far as laughing. I've laughed during after/before services, but god damn, who laughs during actual funerals? I cant say it wont be accepted because I've never seen it done, but what the hell? Who cracks jokes during funerals? lol

LadyHotrod

Its simple.
You cry at a wedding with tears of joy and disbelief,. Like, your happy someone your close to is getting married, so its in no way disrespectful... At a funerral, why would you laugh? Laughing isnt showing any form of compassion or anything, so I dont see why laughing would be there.
and who the hell laughs of sorrow? lol.
If your happy, you smile, and sometimes cry.
if your sad, you cry, from, etc, but not laugh.

Basically, crying at a wedding is acceptable because crying can be for both sad and happy. But laughing is really only accepted as one emotion, which is a form of happiness.

Actually, I will have to disagree with you.

Laughing does not always have to mean you are happy. People deal with things differently. See, the problem with society is showing in this very thread. Everyone thinks that you have to be happy to laugh.

I have had moments when I laughed as I cried sad tears. It's just a mix of emotions. I wasn't happy but laughing made me feel better.

For example, at a funeral, some people cry and some people stand stone faced. You wonder "how could that person not cry? I guess they don't care much" but that isn't true at all. That person could be more hurt than you but crying isn't their way of dealing with it.

It all depends on the person. Everyone is different. Is it appropriate? Society doesn't think so because society doesn't understand that people have their own way of dealing with serious things. It might seem weird that someone would laugh but I can tell you for sure they aren't laughing because they're happy someone is dead.

Reaction score
I will be honest. I have laughed at a funeral. It was my friends funeral and they were showing a DVD of pictures. And we all were pal bearers and we were really close friends, and we were laughing at the memories as they came up on the pictures. We were joking around about shit and laughing at the pictures and times. That was before the service started, then at the cemetery we all cried as we had to bury him in front of his family.

Reaction score
People take different signs of emotion differently. It's not the fact that someone is laughing that it makes them happy. Some people use laughter as a sign of cheering themselves up and why not? Some people take for granted of the fact that funeral's are a celebration of someones life. It is a time when we remember the person lying inside the wooden box for who he is as a person. People cry at funeral's because they have lost someone near and dear to their hearts but after the mourning process there is a time when people at the funeral get together and tell stories about the deceased or even just chat in general. You can laugh discretely when someone cracks a joke to lighten the mood but you will never see anyone laugh maniacally during a funeral unless they are Blue.

Some just move on faster than others and accept the fact that they have lost someone. That is why they try to cheer each other up, and when cheering up you tend to let out a smile and maybe even laugh and that is acceptable. Laughing during a funeral with no reason is well unacceptable for obvious reasons.

Crying at wedding on the other hand is a different thing because Wedding's are celebrations of two people coming as one and much like any other celebration we let out our emotions and letting out joy can come in many packages much like sorrow and crying is a sign of being overwhelmed by the happiness which to alot is common thats why it is widely accepted.

KenFan4life

Reaction score
Well....so like

several months ago...someone's funeral...

well basically, i became a bit bored, and began "Thinking" to myself inside of my mind...and whenever that happens, i kinda go to a Goofy-level in which tha imagination/creativity rolls into one singular goal, and that is to make me laugh....and i kinda got the "giggles" and yea...

Don't Laugh at Funerals!

people will think of you as an asshole!

Not kidding, I wasn't trying to be cool or something, i just kinda...went to the level in which i am me....in which none others can be, til they dare to journey to that part of their mindz

*evil laugh*

Hometown Kid

That stuff is different though! If you go mind crazy and think of something funny or if they play a video of the deceased being an idiot is different than laughing for no reason during your speech or when he's being lowered or whatever...