• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Who would you rather won the war?

• WCW

• WWE

Results are only viewable after voting.

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
They promised a LOT of money to these wrestlers and it paid off in the short run

Because they had it to burn... it was smart. They had funds forever...

However, because Bischoff was so obsessed with the Monday Night Ratings, the PPV buy rates suffered. And they went from making 80 million profit a year to losing that much a year.
Oh I know... but again Ted Turner didn't bat an eyelash! It's nothing to him

Would WCW still be alive if the merger never happened? No one really knows that
If it was, it couldn't be as bad as RAW is right now, never changing, boring BULLSHIT!! lol, I can't calm down because I just watched RAW from this week lol so bad

You cannot say that the only reason WCW died was the AOL/Time Warner merger

Not the only reason but pretty much the main reason... they would have been around a few more years if not for it or even if Ted wanted to keep going...

& like I said WCW was always changing. That's what made it different from WWE & that's why it gets too much hate from Vince Sucker Uppers! lol

Vince didn't beat Ted lol... Ted doesn't even respond to him because he's a ridiculous old man starving for attention. He's nothing to Ted & he'll never be the big Hollywood celebrity he wants to be & neither will WWE... & the irony is that it's BECAUSE of him that it won't.

I'm not talking about WHY wcw died either... I'm saying they should be here because if WCW stuck around long enough, who knows what would've happened with them, they were always changing bosses & there was always awesome things that happened here & there with the different management.

I'm not saying WWE didn't deserve to keep their company based on the awesome programming they put out at that time. They beat WCW programming in those few years by a long ass mile... they deserved to beat them BUT what I AM SAYING... is that they deserved to be there then!! .....BUT RIGHT NOW they don't deserve SHIT because they rape me with Roman Reigns promos EVERY GODDAMN WEEK!

Look, all I'm saying is that if WCW was still around, there's a very good possibility it may be awesome AF since it was always changing & that's how companies succeed. Vince is always talking about that... rolling with the times but that's exactly what his company DOESN'T do... everybody thinks it's lame, he's a joke lol... also just saying that WWE is horrible & WCW gets way more hate than they do, more so than they deserve. Also if they were still around the industry would be better as a whole.

I think WWE's attitude these days is why they deserve to go in the fkng ground lol ALL I'M SAYING... and also that if WCW was here, it may be awesome... couldn't be worse than the shit we see on RAW every week.

I suggest you read "The Death of WCW" which goes on a week by week study of WCW during the war, giving all ratings and PPV buy rates and they explain quite well why WCW died
Read it, great read by Bryan Alvarez, love that guy. I actually just got the version you can listen to with him reading it. He should be working for WWE writing and calling matches.

I'm not even going to get into Bischoff because yeah he made some crappy decisions at the end but also made some great ones, and some great points after WCW was gone & when he was in WWE. Still think he's brighter than Vince any day. But then again... so is my dog so who knows.

Last edited:

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Wait, serious question. What exactly is thread about? I have been reading it, and I still don't quite get the "topic of the thread".

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Wait, serious question. What exactly is thread about? I have been reading it, and I still don't quite get the "topic of the thread".

JESUS!!! .....IT MEANS WCW WAS AMAZING OKAY! ...OKAY!!! I MISS MACHO MAN & HIS HOES DAMMIT!!!

I was drunk watching it when I posted this! K!!!

Kdog with them Filthy Animals & maskless Rey got me all excited! saying all kinds of cool shit

"OTELE... Arriba La Raza!"

Last edited:

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Yeah, it is how they beat WCW for 84 weeks. But it is also why they died. Guaranteed contracts had to be paid whether the wrestlers were working or not. There's no way out of it. They promised a LOT of money to these wrestlers and it paid off in the short run. However, because Bischoff was so obsessed with the Monday Night Ratings, the PPV buy rates suffered. And they went from making 80 million profit a year to losing that much a year. And there was nothing they could do about it because they couldn't fire wrestlers and not pay them because the contracts were guaranteed.

You cannot say that the only reason WCW died was the AOL/Time Warner merger. If WCW were making the kind of money they were making at the height of the Monday Night War, they would not have been cancelled. But they became a money pit and a liability because they were losing tons of money. Ted Turner protected them before the merger because he felt a loyalty to WCW, so it continued even though it was losing money. But it was the many, many stupid mistakes by Russo and Bischoff and Hogan that made the show boring, repetitive and uncreative that made the ratings drop and PPV buy rates drop. They lost a LOT of money and that is why they were cancelled.

If you got your information from WWE produced documentaries, I suggest you read "The Death of WCW" which goes on a week by week study of WCW during the war, giving all ratings and PPV buy rates and they explain quite well why WCW died. The AOL/Time Warner merger was just the decision to cancel it. And that decision was based off the fact that WCW was awful, getting horrible ratings and losing 10s of millions of dollars ever year. That is why it died.

Would WCW still be alive if the merger never happened? No one really knows that. If Bischoff and his group succeeded in buying it, there was no guarantee it would have gotten better. We really don't know what would have happened. Honestly, I think Bischoff proved to be an incompetent business man who mortgaged the future to get results in the present. His incompetence, coupled with the wrestlers creative control and stupid confusing booking and repetitive and boring story lines killed WCW. And that's pretty factual whether you want to accept it or not. I do not believe if Fusient had purchased WCW, I am sure Bischoff's incompetence would have led to an eventual cancellation. Fusient didn't have the finances to sign big contracts because they didn't have Ted Turners money and the ONLY thing Bischoff ever did was sign people to huge contracts.

So undoubtedly, in my viewpoint, WCW would be dead regardless of the merger. The only thing that could have saved WCW was if Hogan put his massive and stupid ego aside and agreed to have Sting beat the hell out of him at Starrcade, thus giving the fans exactly what they had been expecting for 18 months. But no, even though Hogan claimed he didn't use his creative control clause, it's obvious he did. BIschoff claimed he didn't have Sting destroy Hogan because Sting was out of shape... which was utterly stupid and utterly bull crap. Sting was in amazing shape at the time and even if he wasn't, it didn't matter. Sting's shape didn't affect the fact that he could beat down the entire NWO on a weekly basis without getting hurt by anything. It was Hogan not wanting to look weak because that is the ONLY rational explanation as to why that match got so messed up.

So they pissed their fans off. And they kept doing it after that. They kept pissing them off and doing dumb things like Nash beating Goldberg for the belt and the finger poke of doom. It was a downward spiral. I have no doubt WCW would be dead unless Ted Turner would have bought it back, which I don't think he could have legally done since he was the biggest share holder in AOL Time Warner (I am not sure on that).

I look forward to scoring another disagree from you :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:
Genius. Seriously let’s fuck.

The Gipper

The Gipper
Marry me... or at least let's have a great weekend in a hotel somewhere...
Can I be Best man?
Off Topic: I am just being silly. The many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is a theory that tries to explain that wavefunction doesn't collapse, it's universal. So if it's universal, it can be interpreted to say that every single possibility in history has happened in possibly an infinite number of universes. But the very crux of the many world interpretation is that if you believe it is true, then you have to deny wavefunction collapse and theorize that wavefunction is universal. Hence my lame joke :emoji_slight_smile:
....what?
Guys, can we all agree on thing though? Can we all agree that Russo was the cause of everything in WCW and WWF?
Cause of everything right, I fully agree

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Can I be Best man?

Depends, do you want to be in the honeymoon too?

....what?

back_off_scientist_ghostbusters.gif

Zardnaar

The Showoff
WCW died because of WCW, it was always a money pit made money for 2 years (late 96-mid 98 IIRC).

It was always reliant on Teds money, he lot control of his company and had things like executives who did care aout losing money.

And they drove their own fans away. The wrestling thing was also a bubble it popped 2001 but I think the signs were there late 2000. Hogan did nto use his creative control thing as they designed a screwy finish but he had a word with the ref to not do a fast count which made Bret look like an idiot so he cut the balls off Sting (protected finish)and Brett, and confused the fans.

Even then the wheels did not fall off until about the Finger poke of Doom and the lead up to it.

RAW has been the dribbling shits though I am a month behind.

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
I nearly weep when I think of WCW in its prime. Excelent presentation, smart outfits, inventive promos, ending credits, WCW had it all.

Only thing is though, Sting was one of the only truly loyal guys. If some of the others had just stuck around and if more guys from WWE hadn't gotten seduced by the promises of glitz and glamour, WCW could've won the war.

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
I nearly weep when I think of WCW in its prime. Excelent presentation, smart outfits, inventive promos, ending credits, WCW had it all.

Only thing is though, Sting was one of the only truly loyal guys. If some of the others had just stuck around and if more guys from WWE hadn't gotten seduced by the promises of glitz and glamour, WCW could've won the war.

I agree, it was a great, great product from start until the day they messed it all up...

But people just want to condemn it for that one period where it was god awful, which it was & I'm not denying that... Or just because they suck up to the boss or in the fans case, the winner to sound like they're smart.

Just sucks to think of what might've been... if it stuck around they would have changed management & the industry would've been way better today

I just picture their presentation & it was so big & exciting, action packed... & then the talent on top of that just put it over the roof. When wrestling guys were running it right it was the best. Even Eric had some great ideas... in his own words "You can make a bunch of little mistakes but very few big ones" He f'd up... but I think he gets way too much flack.

Not saying I would rather pick either but I trust his word over Vince any day... that guy is the most deceptive, evil weasel to ever be in the business. People talk about how he's all family now but that was 100% for his own gain & all it did was make his product pure garbage while he counts his money off an already established brand with crap programming. Reminds me of The Simpsons or Disney.

I don't care what anybody says, there's nothing "genius" about that guy. Hogan made him, then he stole a bunch of ideas from Heyman along with Austin & it's sucked ever since then.

Last edited:

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
For the record, could someone here please tell me why so many people have voted for WWE? I mean, think of all the insensitivity and crass segments that WWE has aired? If WCW had won the war, we´d never have been subjected to them in the first place.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
For the record, could someone here please tell me why so many people have voted for WWE? I mean, think of all the insensitivity and crass segments that WWE has aired? If WCW had won the war, we´d never have been subjected to them in the first place.

I suspect a lot of them either are to young to remember WCW and only know it from WWE Propganda or remember the tail end of WCW when it was the dribbling shits.

When WCW was good it holds up well even to the AE, I have watched the occasional random 96/97 episode of Nitro it holds up well to RAW today lol.

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot

BAAAAAAAA