WCW Lives: Phase One

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Gambit

Reaction score
g2wKgKZ.png

THE INTRODUCTION

The history of World Championship Wrestling can be summarized as “chaos personified”. Born out of the efforts of Jim Crockett Promotions attempting to compete with the World Wrestling Federation on a national level and sold to Turner Broadcasting group, whose association with JCP and the NWA helped grow TBS into a television company juggernaut. The in ring product, in many people’s eyes, was superior to that of the WWF, showcasing acts such as The Four Horsemen, Sting, Ricky Steamboats and Dusty Rhodes. However, the business aspect of WCW was less than stellar, to delicately phrase it. There were people in charge who had next to none professional wrestling acumen or work within the corporate environment of Turner Broadcasting. The headaches that came along with dealing with the likes of an Ole Anderson or Bill Watts, the Turner Execs sought to move away from former wrestlers at the helm.

Enter Eric Bischoff.

Although he had a background in professional wrestling, getting his start under Verne Gagne owned AWA, Bischoff had a level of expertise in marketing and business. It was under Bischoff’s presidency, WCW saw the likes of Hulk Hogan and “Macho Man” Randy Savage join the organization, helping shed the regional feel and become a national brand. With the advent of Nitro, a live weekly television broadcast, saw astronomical ratings, delivering great action in the form of the Cruiserweight division as well as an air of unpredictability with storylines such as the new World order, an perceived invading force from WWF to destroy WCW. These factors helped WCW beat the World Wrestling Federation for 83 consecutive weeks in the ratings on Monday night. WCW was a competitive force. The only group to beat Vince McMahon at his own game.

While Eric Bischoff managed turn WCW into a profitable organization, the merger of Time Warner would further add to the dysfunction for World Championship Wrestling in the fall of 1998. Executives within the AOL/Time Warner group did not like having professional wrestling on their books, opting for more “palatable” forms of entertainment. Egos of the major stars, aided by creative control clauses, hampered the locker room morale and dynamic. These factors also aided the gap between WCW and WWF- who catapulted to a new stratosphere with “Stone Cold” Steve Austin as the World champion, Mike Tyson’s involvement at WrestleMania, and the new found “attitude- grew even wider.

By September of 1999, Eric Bischoff was removed as President of WCW. Brad Siegel, the president of Turner Entertainment, would move to hire Vince Russo and Ed Ferrera, the head writers of WWF, who had presented themselves as the reason for WWF’s turn of fortune. However, their stint as the head of creative for WCW proved to be disastrous in the eyes of many. This forced Siegel to ask Eric Bischoff to return and work with Russo in hopes of turning things around.

This failed.

Eric Bischoff could see the writing on the walls. He went to Brad Siegel to see if they would be interested in selling WCW, an idea that Siegel initially balked at because Turner Entertainment philosophy was: “we don’t sell things, we acquire them.” By late 2000, they were more receptive to the idea if Eric Bischoff could find raise the capitalize.

Eric Bischoff found his partners in the form of Brian Bedol and Steve Greenberg- Fusient Media Ventures. Bedol and Greenberg created the Classic Sports Network before selling to ESPN two years after its inception. The group managed to raise $67 Million in capital to acquire WCW. However, Turner Broadcasting Systems would kept a minority stake in the company as well as a ten year programming rights for the TBS network for the Wednesday night time slot. Fusient Media would agree to the terms, but Eric Bischoff managed to get Peter Liguori, the head of FX, to acquire the rights to broadcast Nitro on Monday Nights.

The deal was announced January 11 2001 via conference call with Bischoff and his Fuisent partners. The sale, however, would not be completed for a number of weeks because of the proper due diligence and paperwork as well as the merger of AOL and Time Warner, a deal announced in February 2000, but would not be finalized until January 2001, the very same day of the announced deal.

By March 16 2001, the deal was finalized. Fusient Media Ventures and Eric Bischoff now owned WCW. On the March 19th edition of Nitro, Eric Bischoff announced the following week’s Nitro would be dubbed “Night of Champions”. This Nitro would see Scott Steiner defending the WCW World Heavyweight championship against the WCW United States champion Booker T. This Nitro would also be the last episode on TNT. It would also be the last episode for two months before the relaunch on May 6 where they would host a pay per view called “The Big Bang”. The Night of Champions witnessed Booker T become World Heavyweight champion for a fourth time. Billy Kidman and Rey Mysterio Jr beat Kid Romeo and Elix Skipper for the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team championships. “Sugar” Shane Helms retained the Cruiserweight title against Chavo Guerrero Jr.

WCW is now under new management. Bischoff no longer had the infinite check book of Ted Tuner. A majority of the promotions top stars, such as Goldberg, Hulk Hogan, The Outsiders, and Ric Flair were under AOL/Time Warner deals, meaning Fusient Media Ventures would have to buy out their contracts. While they had to figure out who they could and could not get, it was decided they would have one centralized location for business and tapings- Las Vegas, Nevada. They would produce television out of the Hard Rock Cafe.

Can WCW return to its former glory?

One thing is for sure…..

1663104122113.png

PHASE ONE COMMENCE

Last edited:

Gambit

Reaction score
CHAMPIONSHIP HISTORY

WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

NAME
EVENT
REIGN
NOTES
Booker T
Nitro
Night of Champions
March 26 2001
Title vs Title
Goldberg​
Big Bang
May 6 2001​
3​

UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP

NAME
EVENT
REIGN
NOTES
Booker T
Greed
March 18 2001

CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

NAME
EVENT
REIGN
NOTES
Shane Helms
Greed
March 18 2001

WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS

NAME
EVENT
REIGN
NOTES
Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire
Sin
January 14 2001
1x
4x Palumbo
3x O'Haire

CRUISERWEIGHT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS

NAME
EVENT
REIGN
NOTES
Bily Kidman & Rey Mysterio Jr
Nitro
Night of Champions
March 26 2001

Last edited:

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Looking forward to this.

Reactions: Gambit

Gambit

Reaction score
I appreciate it. I've been thinking about this project for quite some time now. I also contemplated on changing things from the Night of Champions edition of Nitro, but decided that in this universe everything played out exactly the same minus the WWF involvement (obviously). Usually when I do a project like this, I display the roster, but I felt this deserves to keep an air of mystery.

the Big Bang was written summary style, but Nitro and Thunder will be fully detailed.

The Gurricane

End of Heartache
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
alexshelly
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
americanwolves
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Awesome entry point. I'm not at all a WCW fan, but WCW BTB's? I'm all for those suckas. Just going off the top of my head here, I think it's going to be interesting too see how you handle a double champion right off the bat of your thread. Making a balance of him looking strong, but not too strong is a difficult task. I can't imagine Booker losing either title in the near future without him looking weak or like a transitional champion, but the positive side of that dilema is that you have one less title match on your cards. This leaves room for the Cruiserweight Title to be shown off more if you're willing to sacrifice the U.S. Title being shuffled behind the world title. "Sugar" Shane Helms has the potential to be that leading force as a top heel in his division though as Cruiser Champ.

I'll be reading!

DamageCTRL

Reaction score
Can't wait to read this! This looks like fun. Always a fan of a WCW '01 thread as you have a completely empty canvas to paint your vision with. Excited to see what you've got

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
Always looking forward to a good WCW BTB.

I'm curious to see who you are going to push and feature, because around that time WCW still had some (rough) diamonds in their midst. Just... please don't immediately push Air Styles to the moon. That's always my personal biggest pet peeves with "2001 WCW survives" BTBs ... Obviously I can't do anything about it, if you do it. :lol

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Gambit

Reaction score
Always looking forward to a good WCW BTB.

I'm curious to see who you are going to push and feature, because around that time WCW still had some (rough) diamonds in their midst. Just... please don't immediately push Air Styles to the moon. That's always my personal biggest pet peeves with "2001 WCW survives" BTBs ... Obviously I can't do anything about it, if you do it. :lol
Quickly rewrites Big Bang from Air Styles winning all the belts in one night…

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
I hope Sean O'Haire gets a push plus it be cool to see if like you sign guys from WWF

Gambit

Reaction score
NEWS

March 26 edition of Nitro marked the end of the TNT era for the brand. However, they’ll still be airing Thunder in the Wednesday 7 central time slot on TBS.

This night also marked the end of using talent contracted with AOL/Time Warner directly.

Hulk Hogan, who has a close personal relationship with Eric Bischoff have been in discussion with the new WCW owners. While they would not be able to offer near the amount Turner was paying Hogan, there have been talks about other forms of compensation as well as even the idea of Hulk having minority stake within World Championship Wrestling. Hulk Hogan hasn’t been seen on a wrestling program since Bash At The Beach 2000, the event where the infamous Vince Russo shoot took place. Many speculated this to be a work at the time, but there’s an impending lawsuit between Hogan and Turner Entertainment as well as Vince Russo on this matter.

Kevin Nash and Scott Hall have also been in discussion with Bischoff directly before the time of the finalization of the sale. Kevin Nash was said to be receptive to the idea- barring Hall have some sort of involvement. If Scott Hall were to be bought out of his Time Warner contract, it’s said there would be a series of stipulations in place given his issues with substance abuse. Terms Scott Hall agreed with if he decided he would be willing to play ball. However, it seems The Outsiders maybe inclined to sit out the remainder of their Time Warner deals.

In terms of contracts not being picked up by Fusient Media is Buff Bagwell, Jeff Jarrett, and Disco Inferno.

Two weeks after WrestleMania 17, Buff Bagwell showed up to Titan Towers to have a meeting with Jim Ross and Vince McMahon. It’s believed he has already signed with the World Wrestling Federation.

Jeff Jarrett not being picked up was a surprise to some. Sources say Eric Bischoff didn’t see value in having Jeff Jarrett on the roster, citing him a poor draw.

Feeling on Disco Inferno were similar to that of Jarrett with Bischoff feeling the character had grown stale and ran its course. Should Disco reinvent himself elsewhere and come up with a compelling idea, he may be considered to be brought back.

CLIPS FROM CONNECTICUT

A week before WrestleMania 17, Vince McMahon, owner and CEO of the World Wrestling Federation, purchased the video library and assist of Extreme Championship Wrestling from Bankruptcy court. On the go home edition of Raw, Shane McMahon alluded to having to go to the extreme in order to beat his father at Mania X7.

This manifested in the form of ECW World Heavyweight and TV Champion Rhino, now christened as Rhyno for trademark purposes, delivering The Gore to Vince McMahon after Linda McMahon stood up from his chair delivering the low blow, adding insult to injury before Shane McMahon delivered the spectacular Coast to Coast, a suggestion made by Paul Heyman who showed the clip of Rob Van Dam’s Van Terminator. The following night on Raw, Shane McMahon announced he had purchased ECW, identifying with its rebel spirit and being on the pulse of what people want. Now with the proper backing ECW can truly be a power house to stand up to Vince McMahon.

Tommy Dreamer would debut on the April 17th edition of SmackDown! beating Kane for the Hardcore championship.

Rob Van Dam had a meeting with Vince McMahon Monday morning following WrestleMania X7. McMahon, by the behest of Shane and Heyman, took the meeting in hopes of acquiring Van Dam’s services. The meeting was positive sources said. It seemed as if “The Whole F’N Show” was ready to sign in the days after, but WCW came in with a counter offer. It seems as if War between WCW and WWF is all but over.

Last edited:

Dubble J

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
As someone who has tried my hand multiple times at a "WCW lives" BTB, I'm always going to check these out, so I can't wait to see what your take on it will be. That said, I am sad there will be no Jarrett but I get it, lol. Too bad WCW couldn't get their hands on Rhyno before WWF, lol but given that RVD was rumored to join WCW before it closed, it'd be a good get to have him in the new version of WCW for sure.

Can't wait to see Big Bang!

Gambit

Reaction score
I appreciate it. Admittedly, I toiled over using Jarrett or not although he’s never been a favorite of mine. He would definitely be a good upper mid card heel who could occasionally challenge the world champion. However, in listening to Bischoff discuss possible plans and roster if they continued Jarrett wasn’t someone he would have picked up. Plus, it adds a different wrinkle into the story and universe haha.

Reactions: Dubble J

Stojy

Reaction score
Far out. Imagine the ripple effect if Hogan got stakes in the company. Book it! I look forward to the Jarrett/Gilbertti feud headlining TNA for months in this universe.

On a serious note though, really looking forward to this. As others have said, as close to a blank slate as you will get so a starting point with endless options. Really looking forward to how you flesh out the new look WCW's mid card to be honest. Also whilst it'll be awhile until WCW is at that WWF level again, a potential battle over the sign of RVD is a fun place to start.

Have enjoyed some of your work in the past, so this should be fun. Best of luck mate.