WCW 2006: Relaunched, Rebranded, Rethink Wrestling

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wrestling God

Reaction score
Katherine Heigl

Katherine-Heigl-16.JPG

katherine_heigl_03.jpg

katherine_heigl_02.jpg

katherine-heigl-05.jpg

KATHERINE-HEIGL.jpg

katherine-heigl-01.jpg

041905-kristin-3.jpg

feel free to rep

Jay

Reaction score
wcw-1.png

September 2005-
With the success of the ECW One Night Stand less than 4 months ago, WWE decided that they would capatilize on their luck and do a PPV in Tribute to WCW. ECW’s One Night Stand was such a huge success, being one of the biggest draws of the year—barely behind SummerSlam and WrestleMania.

Vince met with a number of WWE Executives including Shane, Stephanie, Eric Bischoff, Dusty Rhodes, Jim Ross and more to discuss some of the specifics and the talent that they would like to see back in a WCW ring. They decided on that meeting that they would make the official announcement on October 3, 2005 in a press conference and press release to follow.

October 3, 2005
At exactly 12:00PM, ETS, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon, Shane McMahon, Eric Bischoff and Dusty Rhodes walked out of the WWE Corprate offices and made their way to a stage that was set up. Press from all over were at the press conference ready to hear what the WWE has to say today.

Vince McMahon started the event out by stating that they were pleased to be able to make this announcement that they had planned. He welcomes all the members of the press to the biggest announcement in recent WWE History. He then asks the members of the press to please hold their questions til the end. He then introduces Mr. Eric Bischoff.

Eric takes the floor and says that he has had a blast the last few years as the Raw General Manager, and one of the longest surviving GMs to date. He says that prior to his job here in the WWE, he was the President of World Championship Wrestling, a job that he both loved and hated. He then goes into a bit of detail to WCW and the rise and fall.

Eric looks at the press and announces that along with Shane McMahon, Dusty Rhodes, and Jim Ross, he will be heading up the WCW One Night Stand PPV event, currently scheduled for June 16, 2006. Eric says that he will be the top producer and booker of the show, and along with Shane McMahon, he will be booking the talent. With Dusty and JR, he will be booking the matches, and with Vince McMahon, planning the advertisement to the event. Stephanie McMahon will be overseeing the storylines going into WCW One Night Stand. Eric then announces Shane McMahon to announce the current talent signed for the event.

Shane takes the floor and discusses how this is a great business move by the WWE and that it will be a huge success. Shane then announces that they currently have 6 names that will be at the WCW One Night Stand PPV. Chris Beniot, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Chavo Guerrero, Sean ‘X-Pac’ Waltman, and Stone Cold Steve Austin. Shane stated that they are in negotiations with many other stars and they will announce more names in the coming months.

They open for questions and Vince Closes the press conference by stating “WWE is excited about this move, and we look forward to see what this road may lead us too”.

November 13, 2005

The wrestling world is completely shocked by the death of an amazing competitor. Eddie Guererro is found dead in his hotel room.

December 18, 2005

WWE.com announces the launch of wcwonenightstand.com. On this website, they announces more names of talent that will be at the One Night Stand PPV. Names like Chris Jericho, Kevin Nash, Vamperio, Raven, Dean Malenko, Brett Hart, Juvetude Guerrera, “Steven” William Regal, Shane Helms, Shannon Moore, Booker T, Mark Jindrack, and a few more names would be announced in the new year.

December 21, 2005[/

WCWOneNightStand.com releases the official One Night Stand poster.
wcwons.png

January 16, 2006

Eric Bischoff goes out on WCWOneNightStand.com and announces that after months of pressure from NBC-Universal on the WWE to create a third show for broadcasting on their networks, WWE, Vince McMahon, Bischoff-Harvey Entertainment, NBC-Universal and World Championship Wrestling are proud to announce that on June 16 2006, World Championship Wresting will once again begin to broadcast. World Championship Wrestling, Inc. has been relaunched, and on June 18, 2006, World Championship Wrestling will present Tuesday Nitro on the ScyFy Network.

Eric states that many of the names that are signed for the One Night Stand event will be contacted for negiotions for a full time job with the new World Championship Wrestling.

Royal Rumble 2006-Jan. 29

For weeks leading into this event, names began to float around as to what WCW star just might make and appearance in this year Rumble.. Names from Kevin Nash to Vamperio, to Sting to Scatt Hall.

After we saw the ending of John Cena v. Edge, a familiar music hit. Bill Goldberg came out to the ring and Speared the hell out of John Cena. Goldber looks at Cena, grabs a microphone and announces that he challenges John Cena to a match at WCW’s One Night Stand PPV.

WrestleMania 22-April 2, 2006

As the Undertaker defeats Mark Henry, the lights go black and Stings music hits and out comes “The Icon” Sting. Sting and the Undertaker lock eyes and the two brawl it out in the ring until security is able to break the fight up.

Goldberg reappears at the end of the show and stares down John Cena and Hunter.

April 10, 2006

World Championship Wrestling announces its leadership ladder, PPV Shechedule and announces that it will not be touring with the WWE.

Leadership: Erich Bischoff-President, Shane McMahon-Vice President, Dusty Rhodes- E.V.P, Booking, and Stephanie McMahon (WWE) will be overseeing Talent Relations.

WCW announces that the WCW roster will join the WWE for only 2 PPV’s a year; SummerSlam and WrestleMania. Here is the list of PPVs they will hav annually:

The Great American Bash-July
Halloween Havoc-October
Starrcade- December
World War 3- Febuary
Clash of the Champions- April
New Blood- June

June 1, 2006

WCW announces it’s card.

Chris Beniot v. Lance Storm
Chris Jericho v. Rey Mysterio v. Juvetude
Kevin Nash v. Ric Flair
Sean Waltman v. Dean Malenko
Goldberg v. John Cena
Chavo Guerrero v. Shane Helms
Shannon Moore v. Vamperio
Sting v. The Undertaker

Former WCW Stars scheduled to make appearances: Triple H, Stunning Steve Austin, Brett Hart. Former WCW Champions scheduled to be on the show: Booker T, The Rock, Kurt Angle, David Arquette, Ron Simmons, Vader, Lex Luger, and more.

Jay

Reaction score
Here is an Updated card.
wcwonssting.png

WCW Legends Battle Royal:
Dustin Rhodes, DDP, Chuck Pulumbo, Arn Anderson, Ron Simmons, Johnny the Bull, Jamie Knoble, Billy Kidman, Scott Stiener
Chris Beniot v. Lance Storm
Chris Jericho v. Rey Mysterio v. Juvetude
Tag Team Match Up:
Harlem Heat v. Jindrak & O'Haire
Kevin Nash v. Ric Flair
Sean Waltman v. Dean Malenko
Goldberg v. John Cena
Chavo Guerrero v. Shane Helms
Shannon Moore v. Vamperio
Sting v. The Undertaker

Jay

Reaction score
June 18, 2006
It’s Showtime
By Eric Bischoff
wcwonssting.png
It has been 5 years since a WCW event was ran by me. 5 years since WCW even ran an event. And now after those five years, I am back and so is the company that I created. To say that I was nervous is an understatement. Let’s be real, I was a nervous wreck. Who knew what could go wrong?

I had been talking about this for a while with Vince McMahon, and he assured me that I would have complete control over the “One Night Stand” Pay-Per-view that would signal the reunion of many WCW stars and the launch of the new WCW. Paul heyman has successfully done a One Night Stand PPV a year prior with his ECW cult, I am hoping that WCW would now do the same.

I walk back into the Gorilla Position and take the headset, I hear the 90 seconds til air time in my headset and its time to go. I see the entire roster ready for the opening moments of the show. 10…9..8…7…6….5….4…3..2…1..It’s showtime.

The opening video plays and the fans begin to get extremely excited. WCW’s pyro goes off and they scan the crowd as the voice of Jim Ross goes over the sets as he welcomes everyone to WCW’s One Night Stand. Jonathan Coachman is his commentary partner for the show.

One things Vince, Jim and myself could all agree on was the opening moments of the show had to be dedicated to a brother of us all...Eddie Guererro. “Viva La Raza” hits and the crowd explodes as Vicky & Chavo Guererro along with Dean Malekno, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio and Chris Beniot all make their way down to the ring. They all are wearing EG arm bands. Chavo gives a heart felt speech on how this is what Eddie would have wanted, thousand of his Raza celebrating WCW and tonight they dedicate the show to Eddie.

The entire roster at this point comes out on the ramp and begin to clap and celebrate Eddie as a tribute video plays for Eddie.

We come back to the sounds of “Eddie, Eddie , Eddie” and then DDP’s music hit and the crowd went nuts.

It was time for the opening match, a treat for the fans, a Blast from the Past battler royal! Dustin Rhodes, DDP, Chuck Pulumbo, Arn Anderson, Ron Simmons, Johnny the Bull, Jamie Knoble, Billy Kidman, Scott Stiener were all part of this match. DDP ironically was the first one eliminated from the match. It was a classic moment cause as the refs told him to leave he told them he had better plans and he took his spot at the announcers’ table! At the end of the match it was Chuck Pumlumbo and Johnny the Bull left standing. It became a battler of the youngsters in which Pulumbo got the win and was shown as a strong competitior.

We had something on the show called WCW Flashbacks. This was one of the hardest parts of the show was to find out what we wnted to Highlight for back in the day. We went with some classic Jericho promos between the Battle Royal and Shannon Moore v Vamperio.

Moore v. Vamperio was an interesting choice, but since both of these men were confirmed for the event first, we needed to make sure they had a match on the show. It was a nice, fast paced match that got the crowd somewhat excited. It was a nice match for the second match in and it saw Shannon Moore go over Vamperio.

After this match, JR and DDP talked bout how the WCW Cruiserweights revolutionized wrestling and how they are still very popular now in the WWE. Coach explains how the next match would show the non-WCW fans would see the showcase of the Cruiserweights.

Chris Jericho, Juvi and Rey Mysterio came out and put on a 25 minute clinic. The fans got excited and they saw the showcase of the real athletes of WCW. Jericho and Rey had some amazing spots that had even the commentators on the edge of their seats. Rey Mysterio ended up getting the pin on Juvie.

Up next was a reuniting Harlem Heat v. Mark Jindrack & Sean O’Haire. Prior to the match, we aired a tribute to WCW’s great tag teams that the fans seemed to really responde to.

Harlem Heat made their way to the ring and the pop to them being back together was so loud you can hear it from the back. Mark Jindrack and Sean O’hair make their way to the ring to not as good of a response, but still this will go down as a memorable moment for both teams. JR described it as “You will remember what you were doing when you heard this response” moment.

The two teams tore the house down and it became clear that all four men had created a moment for themselves and for everyone in attendance. One of the best matches of the night saw Sean O’Haire hit his finishing super kick and winning the match over Booker T.

We had taped a segment early in the afternoon between me and Steve Austin and it was time to show the video. It was me talking to one of the production guys in my office as Steve walks in and announces his arrival. He says that he didn’t get a fax or phone call saying he wasn’t going to be on the show, so he showed up. He said that tonight he wants to let bygones be bygones. Austin invites Bischoff to have a beer with him later in the ring.

Dean Malenko v. Sean Waltman was up next and it became a decent match between the two. You could tell that they were both over the hill and it was time for them to call it a day. We cut this match down so that Lance and Chris could have more time out after. Malenko went over Waltman.

Beniot and Lance Storm came out and had arguably the match of the night. Both men left their heart and soul in the ring and gave their all for the fans. It was a classic match. Storm ended up tapping to Beniot.

Flair’s music hits and went out to the ring. The fans stood up and acknowledged the legend. He grabs a microhpne and he begins to talk about how for many people. WCW was many things. It was a quick paycheck; it was a place to seem relevant past your prime; it was your way to the WWE; it was hell. He says that for him WCW was home. He was glad to be back home.

Kevin Nash’s theme hits and these two get ready to have what they thought would be a classic match, but it turned into a botch fest. I could tell that Nash didn’t want to be there and I made a note of it.

Up next was going to be a classic no matter what. We did a highlight of Goldberg in WCW and in his earlier WWE run and made it clear that both men would be fighting for the title of the best ever.

John Cena came out first and the WCW crowd obviously hated Cena. Goldberg comes out and gets huge pop. Both men go at it for a few minutes before the squash match kicked in. Goldberg was booked to squash against Cena and the WCW fans ate it up as Goldberg hits the spear and Jackhammer on Cena.

I take my headset off and its time for me to head to the ring. We play an advertisement for WCW on ScyFy and then my music plays. I go out and I shake JR, Coach and DDP’s hands and thank them for doing a wonderful job and I grab a mic and I begin to speak. I thank everyone for coming out and supporting WCW’s resurrection. I assured everyone that things would change and things would be amazing if they gave us a shot on our new home on ScyFy.

Stone Cold’s music hit and the crowd exploded. He comes out and explains what happened with Austin and Eric. How Eric fired him over the phone and now how tonight he will let bygones be bygones and it will be over. He calls for beers and they drink. To no ones surprise, I got stunnered. Austing drinks a bit more and then he leaves as The Rocks music hits.

Rock comes out to mixed reactions. He is a WWE boy at a WCW event. He comes out and reminds everyone that he is a multi time world champion of WCW and tonight he lets WCW know what he is cooking. He helps me up then he hits the Rock Bottom and leaves.

I start to get up as Hulk Hogans music hits . He comes out to the biggest pop of the night. He comes out and hugs me before slamming me down and hitting the leg drop and then pandering to the fans.

We played a classic NWO moment’s highlight.

Undertaker made his way down the WCW ramp. Booker T then gives a history lesson about how Undertaker had a quick run in WCW many moons ago.

Sting’s music hits and the crowd goes absolutely nuts.

The two faced off in the middle of the ring as Sting took of his trench coat. JR says “This is a moment. This is THE moment”.

Undertaker takes the first swing and it is go time. A match that had both men going back and forth in and took the crowd on an emotion rollercoaster. Taker took early control of the match. It was truly classic moments.

In the end, we saw Undertaker go for a tombstone that Sting countered into a Scorpion Death Drop and got the win.

The night ended with Sting holding his hand in victory and the WCW alumni celebrating with him!

Jay

Reaction score
8wKmJ.png

By Mike Johnson
[YT]TUq1w-_xhnQ[/YT]​
The image of Sting saying farewell to his fans over at TNA shocked the world. He had been brought in to help Christian Cage defeat the obstacles, and he leaves. On the 1.28.06 edition of iMPACT, we witnessed what we thought would be the beginning of a TNA Storyline, but it turned into a legitimate goodbye from the Icon, Sting.

Sting and i were able to sit down and talk about the events that led to the decision that he made to not return to TNA.

"I was originally supposed to return in 4 weeks after being stocked by Jeff and his crew,but not as Sting, but Steve Borden" Sting told me, "But I had agreed to return to TNA before being given the offer to go to work for Vince and Eric in this tribute to WCW."

Sting had been contact by TNA in September about working the January PPV, Final Resolution. According to TNA Insiders, Sting was signed to a one night deal that would be given the option to renew when a proper stroyline was developed. Shane McMahon has gone on the record and told us that Sting wasnt contact for the WCW One Night Stand tribute until late in November.

Sting had told Jeff Jarrett that he would not sign with TNA until they had something in stone for him, which TNA failed to do. Not only would WWE be paying much better, but WWE would also have plans for Sting before and after the tribute event. When it was time to sign with either TNA or WWE in January for a full time contract, Sting chose WWE.

"The Choice was hard" Sting said, "TNA offered less money but less road dates, WWE offer better stability and better pay...when you have to support a family, the choice is easier."

TNA became hell shortly their after, so the choice had to have been made right, no? Jeff Jarrett was said to have been one of the few that was pissed off at Sting's "Disrespect" to Jarrett and TNA. Jarrett said "TNA was ready to build the foundation on him, he knew that. There was no way for him not to know that. But he chose to become another face in the crowd over at WWE."

There was more to the decision other than money.

"I knew that TNA wasnt going to be able to top the money offers, so i didnt make the decision soley based on money. I made the decision based on the way the company treated their stars. WWE gave me input, TNA wouldnt let me say anything to them."

He went on to tell the story of his time in TNA back in 2003:

"It was pure hell. No one knew what was going to happen. It was survival there. We werent out there to put on the best match for the fans, it was who can perform the best for the boss to get a better paycheck".

Sting was never looking for a quick paycheck, but he was looking for a place to call home once again. Much like WCW played that role in the 90s. Sting wasnt offered a full time contract until Wrestlemania, so he had told TNA that he would consider a retirement run in TNA in the summer after the tribute show.

"I was too old to have to fight for survival in TNA again. But i knew that i wanted to go back and retire in TNA and put over the young guys there. I almost rejected a full time contract with WWE to go to TNA in the summer until i heard what they [TNA] were saying about me."

The rumor mill was going wild that Sting had sold out. Some of the TNA stars were going about saying that Sting had to work for Vince because his house was getting taken and Vince offered to pay off his house to work the event. Obviously the reports are false.

Christian Cage sums up the story this way: "People were pissed. Sting was supposed to be our savior, he was the guy that was supposed to draw us ratings. No one knew that he was really saying goodbye on his iMPACT debut. People started talking....did i believe them? No. I knew Sting. I knew him returing to wrestling was not a money stunt. As to where the rumors started, i have no idea."

Chris Harris said "Sting was supposed to be the messiah to TNA. We got excited, only to get the news that he had signed a temporary deal with WWE, that turned into a full time deal. Yeah, we were f*ckin pissed. It wasnt about Sting, it was about the company he had entered and left in shambles. Of course people were going to talk, what do you expect them to do?"

"I was completely shocked at what they did" Sting told me, "It was shocking. I thought Jeff was better than that. I thought Dixie was better than that."

What Sting didnt know was who he was going to face at WCW One Night Stand.

"Undertaker is one hell of a wrestler. I am glad we finally had the dream match.".