WCW 1995: Going to War

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
STARRCADE PREDICTION CONTEST

WCW Heavyweight Title Match:
"The Macho Man" Randy Savage ©

US Title vs. IWGP Title Match: Sting ©

The Giant

Brian Pillman (4 points)

WCW World Tag Team Titles Triangle Match: Harlem Heat ©

WCW Television Title Match: Eddy Guerrero

Diamond Dallas Page

Scott Norton

"The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko (2 points)

BONUS: (1 point each)
1. In the triangle tag match, which wrestler will be the one getting pinned/submitted? Sasaki
2. What match will open the show? DDP vs Wright
3. What will be the longest match on the show? Macho Man vs Scott Hall
4. What will be the shortest match on the show? Norton vs Badd

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix

"The Macho Man" Randy Savage © vs. "The Bad Guy" Scott Hall (5 points)

US Title vs. IWGP Title Match: Sting © vs. The Great Muta © (4 points)

The Giant vs. Meng (4 points)

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs. Brian Pillman (4 points)

WCW World Tag Team Titles Triangle Match: Harlem Heat © vs. Team New Japan (Masahiro Chono & Kensuke Sasaki) vs. The Road Warriors (3 points)

WCW Television Title Match: "The Crippler" Chris Benoit © vs. Eddy Guerrero (3 points)

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Alex Wright (2 points)

Scott Norton vs. Johnny B. Badd (2 points)

Scotty Riggs vs. "The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko (2 points)

1. In the triangle tag match, which wrestler will be the one getting pinned/submitted. -> Stevie Ray
2. What match will open the show? -> DDP vs. Wright
3. What will be the longest match on the show? -> Sting vs. Muta
4. What will be the shortest match on the show? Riggs vs. Zbyszko

Not sure at all about the Opener. I'll be pissed if it ends up being the TV Title Match, since I threw a coin between that and what I picked. :lol

Wright getting that big Starrcade Match though... Can only be a great PPV. :proud

Reactions: Dubble J

TOP GUY TIME

Goodbye!
Reaction score

"The Bad Guy" Scott Hall (5 points)

The Great Muta © (4 points)

The Giant (4 points)

Brian Pillman (4 points)

WCW World Tag Team Titles Triangle Match: The Road Warriors (3 points)

WCW Television Title Match: "The Crippler" Chris Benoit ©

Diamond Dallas Page

Scott Norton

Scotty Riggs vs. "The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko

1. In the triangle tag match, which wrestler will be the one getting pinned/submitted. Stevie Ray
2. What match will open the show? Benoit/Eddie

3. What will be the longest match on the show?Muta/Sting

4. What will be the shortest match on the show?
Riggs/Zbyszko
Prize: Winner can choose a challenger for the TV Title at an upcoming show.​

MTK36

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Sports Team
houstonrockets
Favorite Sports Team
zMIREmq
WCW Heavyweight Title Match: "The Macho Man" Randy Savage © vs. "The Bad Guy" Scott Hall (5 points)

US Title vs. IWGP Title Match: Sting © vs. The Great Muta © (4 points)

The Giant vs. Meng (4 points)

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs. Brian Pillman (4 points)

WCW World Tag Team Titles Triangle Match: Harlem Heat © vs. Team New Japan (Masahiro Chono & Kensuke Sasaki) vs. The Road Warriors (3 points)

WCW Television Title Match: "The Crippler" Chris Benoit © vs. Eddy Guerrero (3 points)

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Alex Wright (2 points)

Scott Norton vs. Johnny B. Badd (2 points)

Scotty Riggs vs. "The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko (2 points)

1. In the triangle tag match, which wrestler will be the one getting pinned/submitted. Road Warrior Animal
2. What match will open the show? Norton/JBB
3. What will be the longest match on the show? Macho Man/Scott Hall
4. What will be the shortest match on the show? DDP/Alex Wright

Last edited:

Roy Mustang

Reaction score

"The Macho Man" Randy Savage © vs. "The Bad Guy" Scott Hall

US Title vs. IWGP Title Match: Sting © vs. The Great Muta ©

The Giant vs. Meng

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs. Brian Pillman

WCW World Tag Team Titles Triangle Match: Harlem Heat © vs. Team New Japan (Masahiro Chono & Kensuke Sasaki) vs. The Road Warriors

WCW Television Title Match: "The Crippler" Chris Benoit © vs. Eddy Guerrero

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Alex Wright

Scott Norton
vs. Johnny B. Badd

Scotty Riggs vs. "The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko

1. In the triangle tag match, which wrestler will be the one getting pinned/submitted: Sasaki
2. What match will open the show? DDP vs Alex Wright
3. What will be the longest match on the show? WCW Heavyweight title match
4. What will be the shortest match on the show? Riggs vs Larry Zbyszko

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR

"The Bad Guy" Scott Hall (5 points) (It would be very surprising to see something different here)

US Title vs. IWGP Title Match: Sting © (4 points)

The Giant (4 points)

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair (4 points)

WCW World Tag Team Titles Triangle Match: Harlem Heat © (3 points)

WCW Television Title Match: Eddy Guerrero (3 points)

Diamond Dallas Page (2 points)

Scott Norton (2 points)

Scotty Riggs (2 points)

1. In the triangle tag match, which wrestler will be the one getting pinned/submitted. - Chono
2. What match will open the show? - Guerrero vs. Benoit
3. What will be the longest match on the show? - Sting vs. Muta
4. What will be the shortest match on the show? - Riggs vs. Zybysko

Dubble J

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-0.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-1.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-2.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-3.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-4.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-5.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-6.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-7.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-8.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-9.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-10.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-11.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-12.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-13.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-14.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-15.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-16.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-17.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-18.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-19.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-20.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-21.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-22.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-23.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-24.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-25.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-26.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-27.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-28.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-29.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-30.png

780b66efcb80f8762e5b98072c46277c-31.png

Dubble J

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
Thanks to everyone who gave their predictions. Below are the results!

PREDICTION CONTEST RESULTS (out of a possible 33 points)
MTK: 9
Roy: 11
Chris: 14
Looch: 17
RDT: 17
SS: 18
Blaine: 20

Congrats to @BLAINE 9000 - DM me either on here or on Discord with your choice for a challenger for the WCW TV Title at an upcoming show!

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Great show! I enjoyed this very much and thought it was a great continutation of everything that's started since the inaugural Nitro.

Starting with Benoit and Guerrero makes a lot of sense, a very WCW move. A little surprised that Benoit retained.

Very happy to see Norton destroy Badd.

I was scared DDP was gonna lose to Alex Wright, glad he didn't. It's crazy how different DDP's career was irl before late '96/early '97.

I was surprised to see the Road Warriors tag down the tag titles, thought this would be a Harlem Heat victory for sure. This is the last time to really take advantage of the Road Warriors though, perhaps Harlem Heat gets a big win down the line.

I've struggled to get into this Riggs-Zbyszko thing, although that stems from my real life dislike of Zbyszko. Riggs winning seems like the right move.

Very enjoyable battle of the monsters with Giant and Meng. Thought you may give it to Meng, but Giant is probably the right choice.

Pillman looked good in his loss to Flair, and it was cool seing Malenko, Guerrero, Benoit and Sabu be a part of it...although admittedly Sabu feels weird here. Great match nonetheless.

Very surprised to see Muta go over Sting!

Even more surprised to see Savage go over Hall! While I didn't love the finish, this was still a great and well written match. Curious to see where it goes from here!

DTP

Reaction score
I think the last show I covered was World War 3, so a full month has passed! Since then, I've actually been watching a lot of WCW Nitro 1995 so I'm interested where we're at.

I love the new layout - the image format is working wonders for site presentation.

It's elementary to see the future Radicalz attached to one another, but I hope that they aren't typecast together for too long. It's interesting you've paired Sabu up with them. Needless to say, this was a strong opener to go with. I like the establishment that is the WCW World Television Championship serving as the workhorse title.

Johnny B. Badd and Scott Norton sounds like a clash of styles somewhat, but with B. Badd known for scripting his matches, I'm sure he would have got his shit in. The right man won, as Norton is a young powerhouse waiting for the push.

I see we are still teasing Diamond Dallas Page's break up with the Diamond Doll - it's an interesting period for DDP, who would soon be in the process of being built up to the superstar the industry knows him to now be. I'll be interested in seeing how you handle his growth - I was never too big a fan of his OTT midcard run. He and Alex Wright would have been a decent match, if not a little short.

The Triangle match always baffled me, particularly with how WCW booked them. Two legal men from the same team possible? Yeesh, what was the idea there? The Road Warriors still had legs as the legendary team on the roster at the time, and it's probably best the New Japan contingent were fed here - I can imagine the long-term idea may be to pass the torch formally onto Harlem Heat. I wonder if the Steiner Brothers might pop up at some point...

Woah, Larry Zbyszko comeback tour, huh? Without context I found this match hilarious on paper, but I'm sure there is more context here. This segment read like authentic WCW booking, especially with Scotty Riggs getting a W here. Granted, it's interesting to see VK Wallstreet aligned in his corner.

The Giant and Meng would have been an interesting one. I think it went too long, as much of a threat as you are trying to make both look. I look forward to what I hope is a huge year for the Giant.

Brian Pillman and Ric Flair was *right* there, and they decided Pillman was best off in the Four Horsemen with him. It's a crying shame. It's a much better place for Pillman to be in, as the Loose Cannon stuff also sees Flair put over as the legendary babyface. Their efforts to turn Flair heel grew so tiresome around this time.

We both know Sting and Great Muta were capable of great matches, though it is odd to see it five years after their original series of matches. I loved the commentary for the finish, it worked so realistically with Sonny Oono's interference. Nice to see the IWGP Heavyweight Championship shoehorned in here too, though in 1995 I'm not too sure what it would have meant.

Man, I thought Scott Hall was going over here. I'm surprised in a sense, but maybe that's just because the Dungeon of Doom have been an abomination, even if Randy Savage was heading the charge. It was a capable main event, and I guess it isn't always going to have that fairy tale pay-per-view ending. I'll be very interested to see where we go in 1996.

Landmark show for the diary.

DTP

Reaction score
I'm interested where we go as we head into 1996, a year of prosperous growth for the company with the obvious and infamous Hostile Takeover, leading to the nWo. With how things have changed, I am incredibly curious where we go, especially with Scott Hall in a position to be on the long-term chase for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.

I think it's safe to say that you may already be looking at Brian Pillman turning on Ric Flair down the line. I think it might be the rivalry that would put him on the map, too. That is, of course, should you decide against letting him go to ECW and WWF a la what Eric Bischoff did. Gotta work everyone, brother! Realistically, though, a Pillman and Flair rivalry could be the keys to the kingdom that Pillman needs to be taken as a viable headliner in WCW.

I was happy to see the Blue Bloods get some shine in their WCW World Tag Team Championship shot at the Road Warriors, but of course Hawk and Animal got the win. I'm curious if the Steiner Brothers will be returning soon, or whether Harlem Heat will come back for revenge on their former manager Sister Sherri.

I found the entire World Cup of Wrestling gimmick bizarre when watching Starrcade 1995 a few weeks ago. There was little build, then zero follow-up. Just all-round strange booking, so I'm glad to see the contingent from New Japan Pro Wrestling appear on this Nitro. I think the Great Muta belongs as a babyface, and I really liked the split from Sonny Oono. You have a natural rivalry with Oono's chequebook of contacts from overseas with this. Not a bad decision to bring back Too Cold Scorpio either, hopefully it's a better run than what Flash Funk afforded him.

Beautiful stuff with Brian Pillman's betrayal of the Four Horsemen. He's acting absolutely crazy, but it works in the framework of the storyline. It's like you've decided against "working the boys" and decided to work the crowd. You know. The ones who really matter. Anyway, I do think it's interesting you slotted Eddie Guerrero with Dean Malenko in the Horsemen over Chris Benoit. I'm not sure if Eddie truly fits the style of the Horsemen as well, however.

Fascinating super-push opportunity for Alex Wright, who was a sex symbol to a lot of younger women at the time. It's really a shame how his career panned out in WCW, considering he more than has age on his side at this juncture. It's obvious Randy Savage will be leaving with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, but I'm on board with this as a match for the title. A main event? Hmm, indecisive.

Koji Kanemoto getting the win over Too Cold Scorpio just made sense, but it was nice to see the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship make an appearance. I just hope it isn't a long-term thing where we see New Japan Pro Wrestling titles defended here. I'm not sure if they'd be appearing full-time. Speaking of, I'm surprised you elected to not splice in some sort of angle to set up the Tokyo Dome show in a few weeks. God bless Jerry Lynn, but he's got to escape the Mr. JL alter ego. I suspect the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship is months away.

I'm sure the New Year's Day edition of Nitro will be a big one. I could see it as a viable new beginning for the product. WCW Saturday Night looks cool, I always liked the look of the line-ups on paper when they reeled them off. Just wish they were available to watch on the WWE Network.

Very true to Sting promo. I find the discourse with Johnny B. Badd very interesting. I just hope it leads to a more serious change in B. Badd's persona. Also makes me curious what his future might be, should he not leave in March and head to the WWF. I hear his wife is a hell of a character...

Solid main event that was effective in Randy Savage retaining the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. The Dungeon of Doom under his leadership is a very interesting concept. Was very happy to see the Great Muta emerge as his next potential challenger, but I'm now very interested in how this will play out. Politically, a match pitting World Champion against IWGP Heavyweight Champion is really tricky. I suspect either a draw or other non-finish may be the way to go. Sting coming to his old friend/rival's aid was also a nice touch. Has Sting had a shot of his own at Savage yet? I suspect from the mentioning that Hulk Hogan will be returning in the distant future.

Overall, not a bad fallout show from Starrcade. I think the next few weeks following the Holiday season will be more interesting and indicative of the proper direction as we head into 1996.