Video Game Movies: What do you think?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Bully would be an interesting movie for sure and story-wise it was probably Rockstar's best game to date. I doubt Red Dead Redemption would do well as a movie considering the whole point of the game was to finally make a game that was like an old school western film. So it would be like making a movie based on a game that was based on a bunch of other movies and named after another game.

AJ.

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing an Assasian's Creed movie.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I wouldn't mind seeing an Assasian's Creed movie.

There's one coming out next year apparently.

There's also one already (sort of) called "Lineage". I think it's episodic though, not really a complete movie. You could probably download it somewhere.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I get the frustration.

I'm a big reader and almost every single book to film adaptation is irredeemably awful. Same with video games.

But, I do have a question. I can understand a person wanting to see a book made into a visual medium but why video games? Video games are, at this point, interactive movies. What experience do you expect to get out of seeing a movie that you didn't already get from playing the game?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I get the frustration.

I'm a big reader and almost every single book to film adaptation is irredeemably awful. Same with video games.

But, I do have a question. I can understand a person wanting to see a book made into a visual medium but why video games? Video games are, at this point, interactive movies. What experience do you expect to get out of seeing a movie that you didn't already get from playing the game?

I came here to ask this, same thing with TV shows being made into movies really. Why try squeeze in x amount of episodes into just two hours?

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I get the frustration.

Real-life action. Despite the giant advancements in video game technology, they're still little better than cartoons compared to a high budget action flick and that's where that desire comes from. It certainly couldn't be because of the acting or story because the games are always superior in those regards.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Who the hell wouldn't flip their shit if an awesome movie adaptation of God of War came out?

I'm also pretty excited to see how Bioshock turns out.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Real-life action. Despite the giant advancements in video game technology, they're still little better than cartoons compared to a high budget action flick and that's where that desire comes from. It certainly couldn't be because of the acting or story because the games are always superior in those regards.

I guess I can see that.

Though I wonder, given how often unrealistic video games are, how much you're replacing animation with shitty CGI.

On another point: they are always going to pander to the people who haven't played the game. As fans of the game, they already know they have your money regardless of how much you're going to hate it. So they are always going to fuck with the story and alter it to maximize profits.

Unfortunate but true, and you see it in book to film adaptations all the time.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Yeah, that would have been nice. Confession time. I hated the Lord of the Rings books. The Hobbit was an amazingly well written book. LotR was taking the Hobbit and wanking it to the Nth degree.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I've only read bits. I read passed Tom, I friggin loved him as a character. Would have been so wicked to see him on there. Shit, use him in Battle for Middle Earth II it's amazing.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I guess I can see that.

Though I wonder, given how often unrealistic video games are, how much you're replacing animation with shitty CGI.

On another point: they are always going to pander to the people who haven't played the game. As fans of the game, they already know they have your money regardless of how much you're going to hate it. So they are always going to fuck with the story and alter it to maximize profits.

Unfortunate but true, and you see it in book to film adaptations all the time.
Agreed. I lost my shit with excitement when I heard Mass Effect was getting a movie, but then the excitement faded within about 5 seconds when I realized there was no way any 2-hour movie could stack up to a 20-hour game (and that's playing it extremely quickly).

But regardless, anything Mass Effect is going to take my damn money regardless. I've already been bought. Even if it gets horrible reviews I'll still see it.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Of course we'll pay for the movies. We're huge fans of the games, it's in our nature to be curious about the movie.

Twist of Fate

Reaction score
I get the frustration.

Well i suppose for one thing it probably opens up a story to people unfamiliar with it that don't necessarily want to mess around with the game itself. The difference is always that a game (or most games at least) require someone to actually play it as well as an actual console/PC hardware etc - movies just kind of simply roll on their own letting people sit back and watch everything unfold (so convenience). Some people (I know a few at least) actually don't mind seeing these movie adaptions but certainly wouldn't touch the original game.

Having a set amount of run time is also another possibility - some games can be either long or short and with a lot of games they're not necessarily finished in one sitting (same as tv series), a movie is one that you can watch in one setting. Plus I suppose it's kind of a tradition or value really. There's always curiosity around seeing something in movie form - apparently holds true even nowadays despite games being where they're at.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Agreed. I lost my shit with excitement when I heard Mass Effect was getting a movie, but then the excitement faded within about 5 seconds when I realized there was no way any 2-hour movie could stack up to a 20-hour game (and that's playing it extremely quickly).

But regardless, anything Mass Effect is going to take my damn money regardless. I've already been bought. Even if it gets horrible reviews I'll still see it.

I feel the same way about Baldur's Gate. Gratefully I know that they will never make that into a movie.

Of course we'll pay for the movies. We're huge fans of the games, it's in our nature to be curious about the movie.

And that is exactly why they don't need to stay close to the source material and they can "Hollywood" it up to sell more tickets. You're going anyway.

Well i suppose for one thing it probably opens up a story to people unfamiliar with it that don't necessarily want to mess around with the game itself. The difference is always that a game (or most games at least) require someone to actually play it as well as an actual console/PC hardware etc - movies just kind of simply roll on their own letting people sit back and watch everything unfold (so convenience). Some people (I know a few at least) actually don't mind seeing these movie adaptions but certainly wouldn't touch the original game.

Having a set amount of run time is also another possibility - some games can be either long or short and with a lot of games they're not necessarily finished in one sitting (same as tv series), a movie is one that you can watch in one setting. Plus I suppose it's kind of a tradition or value really. There's always curiosity around seeing something in movie form - apparently holds true even nowadays despite games being where they're at.

I can understand why people who don't play games might want to see it but my question was directed at people who play the games.

On your other point, I definitely don't expect everyone to be in agreement with me but I'd rather not watch the bastardization of something I really enjoyed. That's the reason for my policy of almost never watching a movie or tv show when I've read the book unless I have heard it was exceptional.