Veronica Mars Movie funded through Kickstarter

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
NextMovie said:
Well, it looks like we're going to get that "Veronica Mars" movie.
Warner Bros. stated that it would go forward with a film adaptation of the cult detective television series if the project's Kickstarter campaign reached its goal of $2 million. The campaign commenced this morning with a deadline of April 12.

That 30-day deadline was completely unnecessary, as it reached its goal in a matter of hours.

Yes, thanks to over 31,600 individual backers, the "Veronica Mars" Kickstarter campaign barely even got started before it was a complete success. Series creator Rob Thomas and star Kristen Bell have succeeded in getting a feature film greenlit (and, hey, partially funded) thanks to the power and pocket change of their fans.

The project set a Kickstarter record by reaching its first $1 million in 4 hours, 24 minutes, according to Deadline.

Now, for better and worse, expect a lot more of this kind of thing to come out of Hollywood. But that can wait — for now, you can stop imagining what that "Veronica Mars" movie might be like and start looking forward to actually finding out.

This is going to open the floodgates. Expect a lot of similar Kickstarter projects started in the coming months to see if they can fund other movies that are on the bubble at the moment. Nice deal for Warner Bros since they get most of the budget funded through this, get plenty of publicity and they can gauge the interest in the movie.

Never seen Veronica Mars before so I have no clue what it is about but it is pretty impressive effort from the fanbase to raise $2 million within a day for a show that ended six years ago.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Fuck yeah, great news.

Arrested Development Season 4, a movie of it and now a Veronica Mars movie. Used to love those shows when I was in my early teens. Gonna download all the seasons of Veronica Mars that have aired now :D

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
11 Hours. Most of the budget though I hardly think so I estimate it'll have 40 mill wrapped up in it by the time it's all said and done and it'll probably get another 4 mill from fans if left open. That said I think it's a great way to let companies know what the audience really wants Serenity sequels I'd drop thrity on that. Especially with what they were offering as compensation some of that stuff was incredible.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
$40 million would be a massive budget, from reading up about what he is planning I see it being a very low budget film $20 million as an absolute max. I guess it depends on how much fans chip in but I really can't see Warner Bros spending $40 million on it if they weren't that interested in the first place. Looking at the rewards all but the first are only available in the US, surely there would be plenty of fans outside the US where they can gain even more revenue from. Little bit odd that they have kept it to just one country.

For me the one show that I want to see try this is My Name Is Earl. I watched all four seasons of that and enjoyed it and then it finished on a cliffhanger as it was cancelled. I would put money towards a movie just to see how the creator was going to finish the show and finish the list.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I would never want to see that made into a movie just doesn't seem to work well with comedies in my opinion. I expect 10 mill of my predicted 40 to now go souly to promotion. This kickstarter thing could easily garner that much attention.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I'm glad they got it done. There was a movement started late last year by Bellamy and Facinelli to do something similar for a movie conclusion to Fastlanes ending.

Was a UPN fan boy, and a lot of their series got royally shifted in terms of their conclusion with the CW merger. Veronica Mars, Eve, Cuts, Half and Half, One on One, Moesha, all got screwed over and money could be made off their endings even in made for TV or DVD movie format

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I would never want to see that made into a movie just doesn't seem to work well with comedies in my opinion. I expect 10 mill of my predicted 40 to now go souly to promotion. This kickstarter thing could easily garner that much attention.

I just really want to find out the ending, I don't care if the money goes to making a ten minute Youtube video I want to know how it ends. My bad I didn't realise you were including promotion as well, that makes sense I thought you were just talking about the production budget.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Never seen the show, knew a lot of girls who watched it, so assumed it was for them. Being on UPN pretty much verified it.

Cool thing though, movie companies leaving it up to fans, to prove there is a market for this movie. Waaaay more convincing then sending emails or letters.

Now, I want My Name is Earl, Wayans Bros series finales. Right some wrongs here.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Actually just read that they plan on getting no money whatsoever from the studio but I call BS why would Warner Bros. need to green light it.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Why can't we just resurrect good shows.

Now every Star Trek geek living in their mama's basements will sell all theri colectables to bring back shit like Firefly and the afformentioned Trek.....This is why we can't have nice things.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Why can't we just resurrect good shows.

Now every Star Trek geek living in their mama's basements will sell all theri colectables to bring back shit like Firefly and the afformentioned Trek.....This is why we can't have nice things.

Come on Wheldon is a god and you know it! Star Trek in the wrong hands can be very dull, and the TV shows so dated. The more Wheldon the better.

As for VM have seen a few few episodes and found it pretty entertaining, its a well written show and Bell is good in the lead, it works well for its target audience also. Think I would give this a look.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Come on Wheldon is a god and you know it! Star Trek in the wrong hands can be very dull, and the TV shows so dated. The more Wheldon the better.

As for VM have seen a few few episodes and found it pretty entertaining, its a well written show and Bell is good in the lead, it works well for its target audience also. Think I would give this a look.

If Whedon was such a god, you would spell his name right.

Boom!

Vita

Reaction score
kristen bell is super sexy. you should all be posting pics of her.

and it costs at minimum of like 5 million to advertise a movie, so the budget is going to be at least 10.