Unpopular Opinions v2

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
there is no context.

It’s just what he said lmao.

If you take away the story and character, the match is just good. You add them and it’s amazing.

Take Cena vs Punk 2011. You take away the characters and story it’s like an okay/good match. The story and characters made it amazing.
That's like saying you only watch the beginning of movies or that you watch professional sports for the punditry lmao. The in-ring action is the actual medium of storytelling. The promos are based on what happens in the ring, and build to something else happening in the ring. It all works in congruence, but discounting the in-ring action as supplementary to promos is really dumb; it's the other way around. People pay to watch wrestling matches, they don't pay to watch promos.

Last edited by a moderator:

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
That's like saying you only watch the ending of movies or that you watch professional sports for the punditry lmao. The in-ring action is the actual medium of storytelling. The promos are based on what happens in the ring, and build to something else happening in the ring. It all works in congruence, but discounting the in-ring action as supplementary to promos is really dumb; it's the other way around. People pay to watch wrestling matches, they don't pay to watch promos.
No one is talking about what people pay to see.
We’re talking the importance of characters and storytelling. People won’t just pay to see a fight, they’ll pay to see a character or a story. The main card always has the story. Undercards barely do and no one is really paying to see the small fights.

Do you remember MVP vs Johnny Gargano or MVP vs Matt Hardy? Or MVP vs Drew McIntyre?

The match doesn’t matter unless there’s a story behind it. Some people are able to tell a story within the match, but it’s so rare to get me to get to care about random tag matches. AEW has some of the finest wrestling and I still don’t care about them because they don’t know how to tell good stories. I stopped watching wrestling in 2014 cause of shit storytelling. They literally have the best talent in the world yet they can’t utilize them cause they suck at making characters and telling story.

You see how good Roman vs Jey Uso was last year? Such good story telling.

Reactions: Zany Clowny

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
No one is talking about what people pay to see.
We’re talking the importance of characters and storytelling. People won’t just pay to see a fight, they’ll pay to see a character or a story. The main card always has the story. Undercards barely do and no one is really paying to see the small fights.

Do you remember MVP vs Johnny Gargano or MVP vs Matt Hardy? Or MVP vs Drew McIntyre?

The match doesn’t matter unless there’s a story behind it. Some people are able to tell a story within the match, but it’s so rare to get me to get to care about random tag matches. AEW has some of the finest wrestling and I still don’t care about them because they don’t know how to tell good stories. I stopped watching wrestling in 2014 cause of shit storytelling. They literally have the best talent in the world yet they can’t utilize them cause they suck at making characters and telling story.

You see how good Roman vs Jey Uso was last year? Such good story telling.
I made a point of the importance of in-ring action by saying that people pay to watch wrestling, not to watch promos. It's still true, but that's beyond the point.

Reigns v. Uso was great story-telling because of what they did in the ring. if they had the most marvelous promos ever and they get in the ring and stink it up and do a bunch of nonsense that can barely constitute wrestling, chances are nobody is going to give a shit and the program dies right there (i.e Warrior v. Hogan '98, Goldberg v. Lesnar '04).

Like I said, the main medium of wrestling is in-ring action. Characters and promos matter, they just don't matter more than the wrestling because the wrestling is where the climax of the story is, the resolution is, and where the story is actually told. The conflict brewing in promos by characters is resolved by what happens in the ring. The ring is the stage, the promo is the background, the character is the personality and the wrestling is the actual theatre. The simplest of promos can light a feud, good matches are what actually make the feud.

Zany Clowny

AvrilWasRight,EverythingIsSoComplicated
Reaction score
The match itself is like barely 30% of the importance to me. It sucks if the payoff is lame, sure, but I'll never be invested in the feud in the first place if the characters are boring and can't cut promos. So for me to even be disappointed by the match, I have to care first. Two great wrestlers having a match on paper is meaningless if the story isn't there. It's like playing a WWE game at that point.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I made a point of the importance of in-ring action by saying that people pay to watch wrestling, not to watch promos. It's still true, but that's beyond the point.

Reigns v. Uso was great story-telling because of what they did in the ring. if they had the most marvelous promos ever and they get in the ring and stink it up and do a bunch of nonsense that can barely constitute wrestling, chances are nobody is going to give a shit and the program dies right there (i.e Warrior v. Hogan '98, Goldberg v. Lesnar '04).

Like I said, the main medium of wrestling is in-ring action. Characters and promos matter, they just don't matter more than the wrestling because the wrestling is where the climax of the story is, the resolution is, and where the story is actually told. The conflict brewing in promos by characters is resolved by what happens in the ring. The ring is the stage, the promo is the background, the character is the personality and the wrestling is the actual theatre. The simplest of promos can light a feud, good matches are what actually make the feud.
That’s why people forgot the nexus right? Or people forgot AJ Styles vs Shinsuke at Mania? People love New Day for their matches you’re saying, not their over the top characters?

They remember them for what they did, not their matches except the one match Cena buried them which was a blockbuster star match already cause of the characters involved.

I really don’t know what point you’re trying to get across, maybe you’re misunderstanding the whole idea of the conversation? We’d rather prefer a good story and characters over just good wrestling. The concept isn’t that hard to understand.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
You know what are WWE’s highest rated shows lately in the past few years? The one with bigger than life superstars from the past who don’t even wrestle anymore, just show up to cut a promo.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
That’s why people forgot the nexus right? Or people forgot AJ Styles vs Shinsuke at Mania? People love New Day for their matches you’re saying, not their over the top characters?

They remember them for what they did, not their matches except the one match Cena buried them which was a blockbuster star match already cause of the characters involved.

I really don’t know what point you’re trying to get across, maybe you’re misunderstanding the whole idea of the conversation? We’d rather prefer a good story and characters over just good wrestling. The concept isn’t that hard to understand.
You're misunderstanding what I'm talking about, but that's okay.

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
There were times where masked 1997 Kane was scarier than Undertaker

Koko B.

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
They should release the Owen video
Benoit in the HOF

Redboy123@

Reaction score
AEW is not good competition for WWE unfortunately. We need a wrestling company that has the finances of Tony Khan but put on wrestling that is professional and not wacky. AEW will only appeal to the nerds

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp

Koko B.

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Why for both statements
1) Why not?
2) Because it's out there, locked up, and some people like gore videos.
3) Benoit's career was HOF material. His mind was messed up because of his career. Rather than pretend he never existed (and never did what he did), recognize his career, and talk about the dangers of CTE - but that might make the E look a little responsible and careless in how they failed to treat their employees.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
1) Why not?
3) Benoit's career was HOF material. His mind was messed up because of his career. Rather than pretend he never existed (and never did what he did), recognize his career, and talk about the dangers of CTE - but that might make the E look a little responsible and careless in how they failed to treat their employees.
Celebrating a bloke who killed his family is not necessary at all. If you wanna remember him and talk about the dangers of CTE, then do it. You don't need to glorify him in a HOF to do that.

Zany Clowny

AvrilWasRight,EverythingIsSoComplicated
Reaction score
CTE is such a cope in this case. Benoit was a piece of shit who murdered a child. If he hadn't killed himself, any defense based on that (especially in 2007/8) would've received a big go fuck yourself in court. Granted, he needed to be dead for CTE to be diagnosed lol but still.

I put the Owen fall tape in the same category as the Columbine basement videos. It's described so much in detail that the actual video itself is the last piece of a morbid puzzle.

Last edited:

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
1) Why not?
Kinda weird that WWE would be supplying gore videos lol. Owen Hart's death doesn't need to be seen by the wide public, on-top of it being an unnecessarily disrespectful thing to do, there's no reason for it to be put out in the public.