Universal Hires 'Prometheus' Writer to Reboot the 'Mummy' Back to its Scary Roots

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Jon Spaihts has two produced screenplays to his name: The Darkest Hour and Prometheus. The former, about invisible energy aliens that invade Moscow, tanked at the box office, and, as incredible as it looks, no one has seen the latter, so he's still a mostly unproven quantity as far as audiences are concerned. But as far as Universal is concerned, they're impressed by the sci-fi heavy newcomer, so much so that they want him to take the creative reigns on a new version of The Mummy.

Sean Daniel, who produced the trilogy of films spawned by Stephen Sommers' 1999 version of The Mummy starring Brendan Fraser, is on board to produce the currently untitled project. Don't let his involvement think this is going to be another lighthearted, family adventure romp, though. Spaihts tells Variety that he has quite the opposite planned:

"I see it as the sort of opportunity I had with 'Prometheus': to go back to a franchise's roots in dark, scary source material, and simultaneously open it up to an epic scale we haven't seen before,"

That sounds intriguing to us. It's been a long time since The Mummy was taken seriously, so we're game for a filmmaker that's going to embrace that side of the classic figure. After all, he is a re-animated corpse. There's no reason he should be anything but scary. Having said that, do keep Spaihts' "epic scale we haven't seen before," in mind. That doesn't exactly scream intimate horror movie to us, so we're sure there's still going to be a large scope here-- at least probably on par with Universal's London-running reboot of The Wolfman, though it'd be nice if this production wasn't nearly as troubled as that one.

We'll keep you updated as more emerges, though it'll probably be a while before that's the case. So until then, feel free to speculate about where the movie should go or if it's even a topic worth revisiting.

As promising as Prometheus is, this could be very good. Never was one that was scared of the Mummy but if done well it could be pretty cool.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
What did I just say earlier today? I believe it was something about remakes of remakes coming soon.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
What did I just say earlier today? I believe it was something about remakes of remakes coming soon.

But it is not a remake of that one just the guy who produced it. I believe from what I read was that he was going to take the mummy back to its original roots not the Branden Frasier Mummy.

You could be right though, bastard.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I look at it this way, the Brendan Fraser Mummy was a remake of the Lon Chaney Mummy so this one can always be looked at as a remake of the remake. That's not the case for a film like the new Spider Man, which is a remake of an original film since there were no real Spider Man movies until the Tobey one.

Does that make sense? :lol:

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I look at it this way, the Brendan Fraser Mummy was a remake of the Lon Chaney Mummy so this one can always be looked at as a remake of the remake. That's not the case for a film like the new Spider Man, which is a remake of an original film since there were no real Spider Man movies until the Tobey one.

Does that make sense? :lol:

It does but you have forgotten the 70's made for TV spiderman movies. So the Amazing spider man is a remake of a remake.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
It does but you have forgotten the 70's made for TV spiderman movies. So the Amazing spider man is a remake of a remake.

It's funny that you say that because I was originally going to say that the 70's made for TV movies don't count. :lol:

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
It's funny that you say that because I was originally going to say that the 70's made for TV movies don't count. :lol:

So you just make up the rules to suit your own arguments then either that or you knew I would come back with that. LMFAO.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Of course, I can always play that card. Made for tv movies shouldn't count.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Well if you think about it, I was actually right even at the beginning, because Captain America from last year is technically a remake of that horrible Captain America movie from the early 90's. :lol:

don't remember it, maybe its because is was so horrible I forgot it. But you are correct on the Cap. Punisher was made in the 80's and just a few years ago. I think I like the older one better though.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
don't remember it, maybe its because is was so horrible I forgot it. But you are correct on the Cap. Punisher was made in the 80's and just a few years ago. I think I like the older one better though.

I didn't mind the Dolph Lundgren Punisher, can't understand why people hate on it so much. Don't think its better than the newer ones though. I loved off the most recent one because Jigsaw and Loony Bin Jim are such awesome bad guys. The Thomas Jane one was pretty great too, from him fighting Kevin Nash to the hilarity that ensues when John Travolta suddenly realizes he's in a horrible movie and just gives up!

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Of course, I can always play that card. Made for tv movies shouldn't count.

thats true but tell that to Lifetime and Oxygen and Hallmark because they have a shitload of movies that are made for them and then they come out on DVD

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I didn't mind the Dolph Lundgren Punisher, can't understand why people hate on it so much. Don't think its better than the newer ones though. I loved off the most recent one because Jigsaw and Loony Bin Jim are such awesome bad guys. The Thomas Jane one was pretty great too, from him fighting Kevin Nash to the hilarity that ensues when John Travolta suddenly realizes he's in a horrible movie and just gives up!

I actually love when Travolta gives up in movies: Swordfish for example. He just takes the paycheck and leaves he realizes its a turd before he is even done with the film.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I actually love when Travolta gives up in movies: Swordfish for example. He just takes the paycheck and leaves he realizes its a turd before he is even done with the film.

Yeah, he totally did that in Swordfish. It's crazy because he's good when he wants to be, like in Face/Off he played the bad guy version of himself very well. Then again, he realized Face/Off was a good movie. :lol:

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Yeah, he totally did that in Swordfish. It's crazy because he's good when he wants to be, like in Face/Off he played the bad guy version of himself very well. Then again, he realized Face/Off was a good movie. :lol:

I just wish Nic Cage would realize that he stinks and gets his ass in gear to do well. I think the last movie that I really liked that he did was Gone in 60 seconds, oh wait I did like the National Treasure films but that might of been for his female counterpart and how hot I thought she was in those movies.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
The last movie I saw Cage in that I liked was the Bad Lieutenant sequel. Other than that, I have to go all the way back to Snake Eyes or Bringing out the Dead to find stuff with him that I enjoyed.