Undertaker or Sting?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MikeRaw

Time for another comparison... This time, The Undertaker, and Sting! Who was better? Who was more important to the wrestling industry? Who did you like better? Overall, who was the better wrestler, and who will be remembered as the better of these two?
I realise it may turn out to be a landslide for Taker, but people shouldn't underestimate Sting. Sting is still very much around, and doing some good thing in TNA, and back in the day, he was a big part of carrying WCW. Not to mention, he's had all his sucess, and become famous, and one of the most well known wrestlers of all time, all without ever working a day in the WWE.
So, I can predict what direction this will go, but let's find out.
Sting or Undertaker?

My vote: Undertaker. Hey, I ahd alot of good things to say about Sting, and he does have a ton of credibility, but for me, it has to be Taker. The guy is 17-0, and although that was made for him, by the booking, no one can say he doesn't deserve it. The guy has had equally sucessful runs as both Teh Deadman side and the biker side, and while Sting has had various changes in gimmicks and such, it wasn't to the degree of Taker's. It's not as easy a decision for me as it might be for others, but at the end of the day, I'm going with Taker.

straight_edge76

For me it's a toss up. Both are two of my all time favorites. The Undertaker and Sting have been compared for years and both are reletively similar; both use "The Darkness" as part of their character and both have had lighter, more humantistic characters but overall impact I would have to say Taker when it's all said and done and they both hang 'em up for good his 17-0 record on the grandest stage of them all will overshadow The Stingers great carrer.

Reaction score
Sting should never be overlooked as being one of the all time greats. He's had a great career and has made a huge impact on the industry without having to be in WWE. Sting in the late 80's in WCW was one of the reasons I got hooked on wrestling from a young age. And when they redeveloped his character as the crow type gimmick it breathed new life into him.
However, he is not as legendary as the Undertaker. Undertaker is a better performer and has been booked better.

razaki

Reaction score
Hmm.

This one completely depends, for me, on what the criteria are.

Sting was, by far, the reason I got hooked on wrestling and he's still my favorite all-time wrestler.

Still, the fact that he never wrestled for the WWE - considering that it now IS wrestling - hurts him greatly, despite the fact that it is impressive that he was so influential outside.

I've never really been impressed at all with Undertaker's actual wrestling ability, but it's never stopped him from putting on incredible matches - heck, see WM 25. Had Starrcade '95 or '96...Sting vs. Hogan...gone like it SHOULD have, I don't think I'd be having this debate right now, but since it didn't, I'd have to say that Sting was the better technical wrestler, but 'Taker has put on better overall matches.

It's hard, though, for me to ever see Undertaker as beating Sting's persona in the mid '90s. The Crow gimmick he pulled was so markedly effective without speaking that I'm not sure 'Taker's gimmicks, though amazing, could compare.

Nevertheless, when you talk about impact, it's all about the E, not WCW, so I have to go with Undertaker. Sadly.

Airfixx

I missed the the Sting 'boat' at some point.... First time I saw him was around 90/91 and he didn't capture my imagination. Aside, from occasional matches, I've not watched a great deal of WCW since.

Aside from Sting/Flair & Sting/Cactus can anyone recommend some matches which might change my mind?

...Until then, 'TAKER.

I always like to take the time to point out too that when he debuted, I'd never seen anyone move himself AND his opponent around the ring like Taker did... Nor have I since (even if the 'long-range attack'-style of earley Taker has faded a lot over the years).

JimmyD

Reaction score
For me, definitely 'Taker.

I really liked Sting's Crow gimmick when it first appeared but I think that Undertaker's is infinitely harder to pull off. I mean, there is literally no reason why his gimmick should work, but somehow it does. Aside from that he's put on some great matches over the years and has probably been the most consistant performer in all of wrestling for the last twenty years - Flair aside.

Beer Money Army

Undertaker by a Mile.

Sting has never been the same since after Fall Brawl 1996.

Sting/Vader is pby the best ever thing in Sting career.

you can not compare both of them, because undertaker is so much better than sting.

Axis

Sting's early career far surpassed the Undertaker's early career. But the Undertaker's modern career far surpassed Sting's modern career. Then again, Sting had far better opponents in his early years, and the Undertaker has far better opponents at this point. I prefer Sting overall, but nobody beats the Undertaker in a big match setting.

kraynor3

Reaction score
The Undertaker is one of the greatest, most influntial big men in wrestling history.

Sting was decent worker who was over.

No comparison, in my opinion.

Reaction score
It truly is hard to compare these two legends but imagine how amazing it would be if these two legends were to square off at Wrestlemania.... Undertaker vs Sting= Classic

straight_edge76

^^^ A dream match of mine...it has been since I was like 8 years old.

kali3

Reaction score
Undertaker! He was way better and more fun to watch!

Reaction score
I'd give the edge to the Undertaker, because I don't think there has ever been a big man with the technique and charisma as he posseses. The way he brought that character to life with that omnous stare and slow moving presence on the way to the ring. I may give Sting a little more technical credit, as his matches in the early to mid '90's with the likes of Flair, Steamboat, Vader and a few others were fucking GOLD. But in terms of looking at the whole package, the Undertaker has him.

Reaction score
Aside from Sting/Flair & Sting/Cactus can anyone recommend some matches which might change my mind?
Don't know if they'll make you change your mind, but these are some great matches: Lex+Sting/Stieners Superbrawl 91
anything with Sting and Vader is good, but my personal favorite is Sting/Vader strap match from Superbrawl 93 I think. 2nd best strap match next to JBL/Eddy, IMO.
Sting vs. Rick Rude from NJPW show in 94. The one where Rick broke his neck and forced him to retire. Great match that is insane when you think about how all out Rude goes despite having a broken neck.
In all honesty though, Sting never had a great match after his Crow transformation. He had some fun TV matches on Nitro with Goldberg and DDP, but nothing like Taker, who is so insane that he has gotten better, having the best match of his career @ this year's Mania. I gotta take Taker.

Airfixx

^^^Thanks, dude.... :y:

Tried to rep ya, but no can do until I 'spread' it about a bit more. :yikes: