UFC is Going to Take Over the World.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

xtremebadass

Reaction score
With UFC-China office to open, Dana White says 100 annual UFC shows possible
by John Morgan on May 27, 2010 at 2:00 pm ET
UFC president Dana White knows all about fans' typical reactions to his "big announcements."

Such was the case on Tuesday when White gathered the media in Toronto to outline the UFC's plans to establish an office in Canada.

But with the UFC's third office currently consisting solely of division head Tom Wright, White said the company is already eyeing a location for a new outpost: China.

"Right now, what we've used to go into Europe and even Australia is our U.K. office," White said. "But we're looking right now – and here I go jumping ahead of myself and saying stuff before we do it – but we're going to open an office in China."

While the UFC is rapidly closing in on regulation throughout the U.S. and Canada, important markets such as New York and Ontario have shown some resistance. But as the UFC continues its quest for global domination, White said he doesn't anticipate much backlash among international markets.

"The hardest part in launching this sport and launching the UFC was getting the U.S. done," White said. "We've got everybody done now except for New York, and we're on the budget in June. The rest of the world – in Asia, Asia understands martial arts. They've been practicing martial arts for thousands of years. It's going to be a lot easier."

The UFC already has a presence in the world's most-populous country after negotiating broadcast deals with Inner Mongolia Television and Sohu.com. But White said the UFC is currently working diligently to expand that footprint.

"We're there now," White said. "Lorenzo has been in China for the last 10 days, and we're going to make it happen."

"It" includes future live shows in China, but the "virus" that is the UFC will first spread via the familiar vehicle of "The Ultimate Fighter." White said a Chinese version of the long-running reality competition series is likely to debut in the very near future.

"'The Ultimate Fighter' is what really kicks it off, and you build stars in all these different regions," White said. "We're working right now on 'The Ultimate Fighter Middle East' and 'The Ultimate Fighter Canada' that will be first. Then either before one of those or right at the same time will be 'The Ultimate Fighter China.'"

Once the UFC has its roots firmly planted in China, White said the world's largest fight promotion has its sights set firmly on another country with staggering demographics: India.

"In India, there's 300 million males aged 18-24," White said. "That's more people than are actually in the U.S."

The growth prospects for the UFC are astounding. As recently as 2007, the UFC held just 19 events. White said he envisions a day in the not-too-distant future when the company could hold as many as 100 events annually including single nights with multiple events on multiple continents.

"This is is a work in progress," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "We bought this company, and we were doing five fights a year. If you would have told me six or seven years ago that we'd be doing 34 fights a year, I would have said, 'That's impossible. It'll never happen. That's crazy.' We're probably going to end up doing 100 fights a year.

"We could have a show [in the U.S.] on Saturday night and five more going on in five other countries. That's what's going to eventually happen. It's figuring this thing out, putting the pieces together, and like I said, it's a work in progress. But I'm telling you guys, I said it years ago, and I've been saying it – how big this thing is going to be. I think people are now really starting to realize how big this thing is really going to be."

And therein lies the ultimate challenge. White has brashly proclaimed that MMA – and more specifically, the UFC – will one day earn a spot as the biggest sport in the world. While many have questioned that claim (June's FIFA World Cup will demonstrate the draw of soccer worldwide), White believes his company is making progress that should force even non-believers to take note.

"The NBA is over in China right now, and there's a lot of people that are in to the NBA, but here in the U.S., in my opinion, there's nothing bigger than the NFL," White said. "People that don't even watch football watch the Super Bowl at the end of the season. I've been saying for years that we're going to be bigger than the NFL, and people were laughing at me. Well, it's starting to look like a reality now."

The growth of UFC has been astounding, I am surprised Dana White can handle all of this.

-Constantine

Reaction score
UFC is amazing I started watching it right before it became huge. It's amazing how much its grown in such a short time.

Reaction score
Yeah, UFC is massive. But it causes some blueberries to think they can actually fight without training when all they do is watch.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
I sure hope, with the expansion of the company into international markets, it won't change how it operates in the US. If it does come to a global franchise, you would have to think they would have belts on separate continents. Having a whole planet compete for one belt is ridiculous, however then they truly could not be called "world" champions then can they?

Maybe every so often they could have international fights sort of like the Olympics of MMA.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
If UFC ever comes to Toronto, oh boy! I'll fork out the $100 for the show (depending on the headliner ofcourse lol)

Lil' Woj21

Reaction score
Yeah, UFC is massive. But it causes some blueberries to think they can actually fight without training when all they do is watch.

Yeah same thing goes for wrestling. Some people think they can do crazy flips and shit before they even practice it. UFC will get bigger and bigger as the years come. I love UFC. So much excitement in every fight and everything. Big disappointment for Kimbo Slice. Oh well never liked him.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
I can't wait til they get a ppv somewhere close to me. 3hrs is my limit for distance. Hopefully when they do, it'll be a good card.

True but same can be said about any sport.

Not just any sport. The same can be said for any and almost anything. Swimming, drawing, singing, playing instruments, gaming, using a gun, acting, etc. It's never going to stop.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
It's really amazing at how quickly the UFC, and MMA in general has become so popular, I remember a few years ago it was looked at as a taboo sport, much the professional wrestling is now. But over the last 4 or 5 years it really blew up into the mainstream, now it's the "cool" thing to watch.

I have been to a few amature (sp?) MMA events and the atmosphere is pretty awesome, I could only imagine what a UFC event is like, hopefully with the rate of expansion they have done over the past few years I will be able to see a UFC card someday.

Lil' Woj21

Reaction score
The only thing that sucks is that I live in Michigan and the whole UFC organization never comes even close to hear for a PPV event. So if i wanna go see an event imma have to go to Las Vegas to see one.

Reaction score
The UFC is so popular in Canada I think they'll eventually do an event in Toronto.

The only place in Michigan I bet they'd go is the Palace. Apparently it's still considered a top arena even though it's 20 or so years old. The Joe is a dump so I doubt they'd go there.

Lil' Woj21

Reaction score
The joe isnt a dump. Well you can call it that but not to me. Ive been to other arenas and they are nasty.

And the palace is garbage to me. Never liked it. I only went there once and that was for a Dane Cook concert.

Reaction score
Dane Cook would leave a bad taste in anybody's mouth!

JLA needs a lot of work. Palace Sports and Entertainment said it needs $10 million dollars in repairs and upgrades, but I think that number is a bit inflated. At over 30 years old it's really showing its age. I can't think of any arena that houses a professional sports team (of one of the four main sports) that is in worse condition. Not saying that I've been to every arena in the country or anything, it just has a pretty bad reputation - especially with out of towners who aren't biased because of history.

Lil' Woj21

Reaction score
It may be old. And yes with technology evolving and the paint scraping and what not. I think every arena, stadium and baseball field needs renovation. The technology is getting better and better as we speak and the Joe might need some of that soon. And i think in the off season for the wings. The city of Detroit should re-paint the Joe so it looks decent.. I mean that's just me.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
The UFC is so popular in Canada I think they'll eventually do an event in Toronto.

The only place in Michigan I bet they'd go is the Palace. Apparently it's still considered a top arena even though it's 20 or so years old. The Joe is a dump so I doubt they'd go there.

They are opening a Toronto branch UFC office so it's getting close.

Can't believe how pussy Ontario is with this ban. UFC would bring in tons of money.