UFC Fighters: PAY DA MAN!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Most recently I looked back at UFC 129, which was a great card despite the lackluster main event and enjoyed it the second time around but I was much more interested in the fight that's most remembered due to the Canadian's injury, the Aldo/Hominick fight. Both fought their hearts out and in the fifth round it looked like Hominick was gonna make a comeback but sadly he lost the fight.

Reading more into post-UFC 129, I found out that Hominick suffered from a hematoma and the doctor made the right decision in letting him continue to fight because it would heal internally. Both Aldo and Hominick earned fight of the night honours and received bonuses of $129,000. I found that surprisingly low for a co-main event and started to look into what the winner of the main event made, Georges St. Pierre.

From reading it doesn't look like GSP made as much as I would expect for a sport that's been on the rise for the last three-four years. A base salary for GSP is $200,000 and another $200,000 win bonus, for a total of $400,000. But this doesn't include pay-per-view revenues or money earned from sponsors (or what he'd have to pay his trainers/managers/agents etc.) so how much did GSP make?

With some digging I found out some information on a contract dispute case Randy Couture had against the UFC in 2007 and this is what the UFC, at the time, paid it's big name fighters in PPV buys.

Less than 100,000 buys: No money
100,000-175,000 buys: $1.00/buy
175,000-300,000 buys: $1.50/buy
300,000-330,000 buys: $2.00/buy
Over 330,000 buys: $3.00/buy

Now remember this is from four years ago so most likely these numbers have increased since then. The PPV in Toronto sold around 11 mil and with a little math (not me taken from an article) GSP roughly made 1,800,000 from PPV revenue. Added that with his base salary he made roughly 2.5 mil from UFC 129.

You'd think these champions, especially someone like GSP, would be getting more for basically being the face of UFC (debate if you want but Lesnar got knocked out). He's one of the most recognized fighters in the world and he's only make over 2 mil a fight? Shane Mosley got 5 mil in his loss against Pacquiao, who got paid 25 mil. Lesnar only made 5.6 mil in earnings last year. The minimum for the NHL, NFL, NBA and MLB is $500,000 that and the fight of the night bonuses doesn't add up.

My real question is how long before UFC fighters start asking for raise from Dana?

phantomgerald

Reaction score
I can understand where the UFC brass is coming from. Their strutuce is alot similar to the WWE. What you get is employees who get paid around a million a year at most, but the fact of the matter is, the fighters would never command such salaries anywhere else. This is not like boxing where several promoters are fighting to pay you. Plus, the UFC have always been pre-emptive. They have shown in the past a willingness to reward fighters who fought their hearts out, and the recent UFC insurance once again shows that the UFC takes initiative in taking care of its fighters. For a monopolised company, they have been extremely nice to their employees.