UFC Fight Night 51 Results

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swinny

Reaction score
UFC Fight Night 51 results: Andrei Arlovski stuns 'Bigfoot' Silva with brutal KO

BRASILIA, Brazil – In his second UFC appearance following a six-year hiatus from the industry-leader, Andrei Arlovski (23-10 MMA, 12-4 UFC) rebounded from a lackluster June appearance with a knockout of Antonio Silva (18-6 MMA, 2-3 UFC).

Arlovski, an ex-UFC champ, avenged a 2010 loss to Silva with a right hook that sent the Brazilian crashing to the canvas for an eventual finish at the 2:59 mark of the first round.

“I train hard, I worked a lot,†Arlovski said afterward. “It was very important for me; I definitely wanted to knock him out. Nothing personal.â€

The heavyweight bout was the main event of today’s UFC Fight Night 51 event at Nilson Nelson Gymnasium in Brasilia, Brazil. It streamed on UFC Fight Pass.

After an uneven tour of other major promotions in the six years following his exit from the UFC, Arlovski was unranked in the UFC heavyweight division and a heavy underdog against Silva, who is ranked No. 4 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com <a href=â€http://www.mmajunkie.com/rankingsâ€>MMA heavyweight rankings</a>.

Silva returned to the octagon after a nine-month UFC suspension for violating the terms of a therapeutic-use exemption with elevated levels of testosterone. He outpointed Arlovski via decision when they first met under the now-defunct Strikeforce banner.

Despite his upset win, Arlovski had to be talked off the octagon by his cornerman after his post-fight celebration was met with boos and he cursed the audience.

Later, he thanked the crowd, and added, “You guys boo me, but it motivates me even harder.â€

Arlovski opened a lead in the early exchanges of the fight, using his speed to catch Silva before a retort could come his way. An overhand right clipped Silva in the jaw, and he was unable to fire back with his own right hand.

Frustrated, Silva began to close the distance, which lead to his demise when the two broke off and Arlovski landed a right hook that caught his chin. Silva dropped to the mat, and a series of hammerfists knocked him out cold.

Arlovski now has won back-to-back UFC fights after a decision over Brendan Schaub at UFC 174, while Silva is 0-2 with a previous draw opposite Mark Hunt ruled a no contest due to his testosterone violation.

Up-to-the-minute UFC Fight Night 51 results include:

Andrei Arlovski def. Antonio Silva via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 2:59
Gleison Tibau def. Piotr Hallmann via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
Leonardo Santos def. Efrain Escudero via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Santiago Ponzinibbio def. Wendell Oliveira via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:20
Iuri Alcantara def. Russell Doane via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Jessica Andrade def. Larissa Moreira Pacheco via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 4:33
Godofredo Pepey def. Dashon Johnson via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:29
George Sullivan def. Igor Araujo via knockout (punches) – Rouns 2, 2:31
Francisco Trinaldo def. Leandro Silva via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Sean Spencer def. Paulo Thiago via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Rani Yahya def. Johnny Bedford via submission (kimura) – Round 2, 2:04

MMAJunkie