UFC 178 Results

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swinny

Reaction score
UFC 178 results: Demetrious Johnson submits Chris Cariaso in second round

LAS VEGAS – Demetrious Johnson (21-2-1 MMA, 9-1-1 UFC) cruised to victory in UFC 178’s headliner, submitting Chris Cariaso (17-6 MMA, 6-5 UFC) to notch his fifth straight title defense as UFC flyweight champ.

Cariaso submitted to a kimura at the 2:29 mark of the second round, bringing an end to a dominant performance for Johnson, who tied UFC Hall of Famers Tito Ortiz and Matt Hughes for consecutive title defenses.

“I feel good,†Johnson said afterward. “It was a great fight. Chris Cariaso’s a tough opponent. I was a little too patient for my own good. But sometimes that’s good that way I’m not overextended and I don’t get knocked out.â€

Johnson, ranked No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA flyweight rankings and No. 3 on the pound-for-pound list, was heavily favored to beat No. 10 ranked flyweight Cariaso, who was promoted to No. 1 contender after the loss of UFC 178’s main event with the injury postponement of a lightheavyweight title bout between champ Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier.

The flyweight title bout was the main event of today’s UFC 178 event at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Johnson picked away early with leg kicks as Cariaso attempted to counter with his punches. Ninety seconds into the opening frame, Johnson nabbed an easy takedown and worked to pass Cariaso’s guard with several acrobatic hops. Cariaso made it to his feet, but took heavy shots to the body in the clinch. With just seconds left in the round, the champ exploded with an overhand right and lunging that dropped Cariaso to his knees.

Cariaso tried to rally with kicks as Johnson tried to zero in with punches. A slip put the challenger on his back, allowing Johnson to pass and secure a crucifix, which he used to pepper Cariaso with punches. Unable to escape, Cariaso floundered as Johnson locked up his left arm and secured a straight armbar and then a kimura.

“I’m just trying to get better with my ground game, and hard work paid off,†Johnson said.

Asked who he’d like to fight next, the champ said, “I’m never a man who calls out my opponents. I just answer the phone and fight.â€

Cariaso sees a three-fight win streak snapped.

Up-to-the-minute UFC 178 results include:

Demetrious Johnson def. Chris Cariaso via submission (kimura) – Round 2, 2:29
Donald Cerrone def. Eddie Alvarez via unanimous decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
Conor McGregor def. Dustin Poirier via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:46
Yoel Romero def. Tim Kennedy via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 0:58
Cat Zingano def. Amanda Nunes via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 1:21
Dominick Cruz def. Takeya Mizugaki via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:01
Jorge Masvidal def. James Krause via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Stephen Thompson def. Patrick Cote via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
Brian Ebersole def. John Howard via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
Kevin Lee def. Jon Tuck via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
Manny Gamburyan def. Cody Gibson via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 4:56

MMAJunkie