UFC 176 cancelled following Jose Aldo's withdrawal.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
As it turns out, fans excited about the upcoming UFC Featherweight title fight between Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes will have to wait, for UFC 176 has officially been cancelled following Jose Aldo's withdrawal due to a foot injury.

UFC match makers Joe Silva and Sean Shelby were scrambling to find a replacement for the main event following the news of the cancellation, but were unable to do so and as a result, the Pay Per View altogether was scrapped.

But as the Pay Per View schedule unfolds, the numbers of the UFC will not be pushed back. Instead, UFC 176 will just be a number that has 'passed over'. As the scheduled bantamweight title rematch between Renan Barao and TJ Dillashaw titled UFC 177 will still be UFC 177.

A similar incident happened with UFC 151, where Jon Jones refused to fight Chael Sonnen and as a result the Pay Per View was cancelled. However, the Pay Per View scheduled numbers still resumed.

All fights are currently in the midst of being rescheduled.

Author: Alex Cochrane
Cited sources: Dana Becker (fightline.com)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So as it stands out, the two best pound for pound fighters have all the power to cancel events.

But I don't blame Aldo. Currently nursing an ankle injury as we speak, I wouldn't want to fight with any kind of injury.

Swinny

Reaction score
I'm really not sure why they totally cancelled it. I mean they have Fight Pass now so they have the ability to put on whatever cards they want on there so why not just have it on Fight Pass instead of PPV, keep it on the same date and have Mousasi and Jacare headline? Just seems like it would have been easier than cancelling the whole thing and finding other cards to put all the fights on.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
I'm really not sure why they totally cancelled it. I mean they have Fight Pass now so they have the ability to put on whatever cards they want on there so why not just have it on Fight Pass instead of PPV, keep it on the same date and have Mousasi and Jacare headline? Just seems like it would have been easier than cancelling the whole thing and finding other cards to put all the fights on.

I'm sure the UFC didn't want to spend as much money on renting out the Staples Center to put on Mousasi vs Jacare as a headliner.

If it was a Fox Card I could see them doing so, but not a Pay Per View.

Swinny

Reaction score
I'm sure the UFC didn't want to spend as much money on renting out the Staples Center to put on Mousasi vs Jacare as a headliner.

If it was a Fox Card I could see them doing so, but not a Pay Per View.

Yeah I guess, never really thought about the arena thing and didn't know it was at the Staples Center either.