UFC 121 Discussion.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Talk about the fights, which you enjoyed the most, which you were surprised about etc etc...

I was THOROUGHLY impressed by Diego Sanchez. I started watching the fight, having only remembered the Sanchez/Penn fight, thinking Thiago would just drop him, get on top and submit him. Instead, Diego showed to me that he is relentless on the ground! Just dominated, who I thought was a TOUGH ground fighter, and kept an incredible pace to the final bell! The huge slam, where he was yelling the whole time was freakin epic too! But yeh, I was VERY impressed with Diego and am REALLY looking forward to his next fight.

Shields needs to work on his standing game, just a little. He needs to be able to learn how to defend on his feet against guys like Kampmann. I can't wait for his next fight, especially if it's against a guy who isn't as technically sound on the mat! I want to see the Shields from Strikeforce (thats where he came from, right?) - get a guy down and just own him.

I personally think Tito is done for, lol. I think I've seen like one or two of his fights from back in the day, but nowadays - since his return - he hasn't looked so impressive. He seemed to gas himself out in the Griffin fight, which he managed to fix in this fight. Though this fight he just seemed to be out timed by Hammill. Imo it wasn't the most impressive win by Hammil, but still nice none the less. What's next for Hammil, and where does Tito go now?

Also what's the deal with Gilbert Yvel? I remember him coming in and being a BIG THING! Has he won yet, in the UFC?

pumpt73

Reaction score
Im with you bro and Im not with you. First up, this was a great card top to bottom. Im with you on Sanchez. Coming into this fight, I respect the guy, but he's never shown me a fight where I thought, yeah, he's championship material. This fight against Thiago did that. This was Diego's coming out party.

My personal favorite fight of the night was Court McGee SUBMITTING Ryan Jensen. Jensen is no joke. He just hasn't got a name. He's a solid all around fighter. This was Court's first fight since the TUF Finale, and it was a pretty big step up in competition. Jensen easily took the first round, but then you saw Court gain more confidence. Ultimately subbing Jensen in the 3rd and leaving him with a huge mouse under his left eye from the Ground n Pound.

I've been saying Ortiz has been done for since he left after UFC 51 when he beat Belfort. Im sorry, but Tito is the only one who drinks the Tito Ortiz Kool-Aid. He's a gatekeeper now, if that. I like Tito, but if he doesn't realize he has to change his approach, he's going to end up being the next Ken Shamrock. By that, I mean he's going to be the next great champ once, who is now fighting guys that are making their names on him. Granted Tito has been through hell and back with his injuries, but I think it's time for him to stop fighting and focus on training. Tito's knowledge and training approach are fantastic. I mean you just seen his pupil put a beating on him. I think Tito could be the next big name trainer, but he's got to make a decision.

Yvel is a solid vet, but you know bro, he hasn't looked comfortable since coming to the UFC, and after Jon Madsen completely decimated him, I don't see Dana brining him back. Why??? Madsen just made his name on him. Yvel is bound for Japan or Strikeforce I would think.

Schaub impressed me as well as Gabe Gonzaga. Those two put on a great fight. I was also really impressed with Tom Lawlor. Magnificent gameplan against a solid vet like Cote. Big win for Filthy.

Shields will be back bro. His first cut in 2 years to 170 killed him, and it wasn't like he fought a can. Kampmann is probably 1 or 2 fights away from a title shot. Jake did more in the fight. He controlled Kampmann more. Had more takedowns and sub attempts. I think the reason Dana brought Shields in at 170, was to push GSP harder. That's IF GSP gets by Kos, Im on the Koscheck bandwagon. But if GSP wins, think about it. He's only finished 1 fighter since regaining his title and that was Penn due to Penn not answering the bell. GSP goes 5 rounds with every guy he fights. GSP and Shields are both control style fighters. Shields however is the one who has got to start getting his cardio together now for a 5 rounder because he's got the winner of GSP vs. Koscheck.

Cain did wonderful. Used solid technique and overwhelmed Lesnar. Now let's see if he can defend against Junior dos Santos.

jacksionreo

Reaction score
I like every moment of UFC 121 and i think no any particular moment remembered specially but i like whole event very much and enjoyed all moments.