UFC 109 is doomed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Andrew~Walker

Reaction score
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the organization that a planned bout between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort will not take place on Feb. 6.

Silva's has bone chips removed from his right elbow in October, and the joint has reportedly proved slow to heal.

Sources close to the situation informed MMAjunkie.com that "The Spider" might not be ready to fight until April, though Silva's manager, Ed Soares, wasn't immediately available for comment.

Silva and Belfort were originally slated for UFC 108 on Jan. 2, but that date was also nixed due to the elbow surgery.

In an October conversation with MMAjunkie.com, Soares insisted his fighter would return at 100 percent.

"Anderson's recovery is going really, really well," Soares said. "He's coming back, and his recovery is doing really good. His physical therapy is going really well. He's getting better range of motion. He'll be back 100 percent for sure."

While that may still prove to be true, the original timeframe for Silva's recovery has obviously been adjusted.

MMAjunkie.com was unable to establish whether the UFC would seek to find a new opponent for Belfort or if "The Phenom" will ride out the new delay for his shot at the UFC's middleweight title.

A few of Silva's detractors have suggested the champ is avoiding a fight with Belfort while allowing a new middleweight contender to emerge. Soares insisted in October that Silva will fight Belfort as soon as possible.

"At the end of the day, it's going to be a great fight," Soares said. "Like I said before, I don't think [Belfort"> deserves a title shot, but that's over with now. It is what it is.

"Whoever the UFC puts in front of us, we'll fight. We've never picked our opponents."

With the loss of the evening's planned main event, the UFC will likely turn to the light heavyweight match between Hall of Famers Randy Couture and Mark Coleman to fill UFC 109's headline slot.

Ok so you have COuture vs Coleman as a headline and Serra vs Trigg for the co main event.... How is this really going to sell?

xtremebadass

ROFL, I smell a free event on SpikeTV

I would like to see Vitor fight someone again before getting the shot. How about Marquardt?

Andrew~Walker

Reaction score
Well Marquardt is fighting at 109 and so is Maia so the MW division is gonna be dry. I also think this might be another free tv event because it has 0 drawing power.

J

Yea not the best, but Trigg vs. Serra will defenitly be a cool match of legends. Niehter are in there prime so it own't be one sided.

xtremebadass

I can't believe Trigg still wants to fight after that train wreck with Koscheck

Wordlife

I gotta agree with you guys... 109 a free Spike TV PPV??? Probably

Trigg could put on a good fight, but Koscheck owned him that last fight, I doubt he can bounce back that easily

Millzy Pt. 2

Reaction score
Too bad we all want Dan Hardy vs Josh Koscheck right now, I would've wanted GSP vs Hardy as the main event for UFC 109, I mean GSP's last title fight was back in JULY @ UFC 100. So this means GSP is practically waiting thru maybe eight or nine months for his next WW title fight.

Andrew~Walker

Reaction score
GSP is recovering from a major groin pull when he got out of that fight at UFC 100. So for several months he was recovering from that. besides I believe GSP vs Hardy is already set for UFC 110 or so.

Millzy Pt. 2

Reaction score
GSP is recovering from a major groin pull when he got out of that fight at UFC 100. So for several months he was recovering from that. besides I believe GSP vs Hardy is already set for UFC 110 or so.
It depends, we're stuck in a situation where Josh Koscheck wants to fight Dan Hardy so damn badly, but for now Hardy vs GSP is all set to go. I wanna see how Joe Silva handles this as him creating UFC fights. I also wanna see how Dana is gonna get involved in this too, he loves the fuck out of prefight beefs between top division fighters because he knows that they'll put asses on the seats for these fights with so much hype and anticipation so piled up.

I see GSP having to observe a #1 contender fight between Koscheck and Hardy in the meantime.

Andrew~Walker

Reaction score
Well Hardy was interviewed on Tapout Radio and he said he is signed to fight GSP and he would love to fight Koscheck for his first title defense. So I think that is how that might pan out. Plus the major beef between Hardy and Koscheck now would be a co main event but if you throw the WW Title in the mix it would be a PPV main event and could probably sell a lot more.

Millzy Pt. 2

Reaction score
Well Hardy was interviewed on Tapout Radio and he said he is signed to fight GSP and he would love to fight Koscheck for his first title defense. So I think that is how that might pan out. Plus the major beef between Hardy and Koscheck now would be a co main event but if you throw the WW Title in the mix it would be a PPV main event and could probably sell a lot more.
Hell, I mean look at the current fight card now that Belfort vs The Spider is scratched off.
Trigg vs Serra? Ancient Coleman vs Caveman Couture

The beef between Hardy vs Koscheck makes it definitely main event material for UFC 109 over those two fights I just mentioned in my last paragraph. Hardy and Koscheck hate each other from what it seems which potentially puts asses on the seats for UFC 109 in which Dana ALWAYS wants, he'll hype the shit out of anything.

And TECHNICALLY, we're STILL not sure when GSP will have his next fight. Sources are sayin that he'll LIKELY be ready for UFC 110 or UFC 111, I bet his groin injury is still nagging the hell out of him.

because11

Reaction score
Well Marquardt is fighting at 109 and so is Maia so the MW division is gonna be dry. I also think this might be another free tv event because it has 0 drawing power.
I love this song. Sorry guys I'm a new user and I just wanted to comment on the song. My friend recently sent it to me and I fell in love with it and I just can't stop listening to it. I love romanian songs...it's probably because my country borders Romania...we're neighbors! lol

Rated RJC

Reaction score
Ugh, I actually kind of hope Dana keeps this as a PPV just to see the shittiest buyrates in UFC history.

Silva/Belfort was one of the fights I'm really, really looking forward to so I hope it happens as soon as possible.