Triple H: Most Overrated of All Time?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Is Triple H the most overrated wrestler of all time?

• Total voters

Dod Draper

Reaction score
I read in our news section earlier that UGO had produced a list of the top 25 most overrated wrestlers of all-time. They had Triple H at #1, as shown below:

UGO.com recently posted a list counting down the top 25 most overrated wrestlers of all-time. The ranking is topped by 13-time world champion Triple H, who was named Most Overrated in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards on three consecutive occasions (2002-2004), and again in 2009. Regarding the self-proclaimed "King of Kings", UGO.com wrote: "For too long, Triple H has received a free pass from internet wrestling fans, but we say, "No more!" Sure, he used to be great, but that was before he destroyed his body and moved on to destroying the careers of younger wrestlers. Folks these days like to say that "The King of Kings" makes people into stars, but wrestlers tend to either succeed despite the terrible, emasculating beatings he gives them or just disappear back into the midcard. What's worse is that he does it all with the same four boring, mechanical moves - a fact which goes strangely unnoticed by the world's Cena-bashers, who tend to love "The Game." If Triple H was as great as people say he is, the past 13 years of constant pushes shouldn't have just turned him into another Rock or "Stone Cold," it should have gotten him elected King of the Universe.

"And The Chaperone looks atrocious."

The complete ranking is as follows:

25. Diesel
24. Arn Anderson
23. Alberto Del Rio
22. Jerry Lynn
21. Shelton Benjamin
20. Verne Gagne
19. Jeff Jarrett
18. Sabu
17. Finlay
16. Christopher Daniels
15. Mr. Anderson
14. William Regal
13. Indy Geeks
12. Randy Orton
11. Gorgeous George
10. Scott Hall
9. Dean Malenko
8. Owen Hart
7. Christian
6. Curt Hennig
5. Miss Elizabeth
4. Jerry "The King" Lawler
3. Giant Baba
2. Hulk Hogan
1. Triple H

Do you agree with this list? Do you think Triple H is the most overrated wrestler of all time?

I don't agree at all (and I'm not some avid Triple H fan, as that article from UGO suggests a lot of internet fans are). I think there's a lot of guys who should be on that list and aren't for whatever reason (Batista?). The list sucks and is largely bullshit. Not sure where they came up with some of that stuff.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Killz

Reaction score
Most of this list, particularly those top guys, is pure HORSE MANURE! It actually angered me as an avid fan of wrestling, in it's purest nons-spoiler form and in the capacity of wrestling forum goer, to read this garbage.

The top names are striking enough. Jerry Lawler? Backlash to his recent push or what? Say what you want no-one SELLS A STORY like The King and he deserves everything he gets. Hulk Hogan? I understand the argument more than the other guys because he's literally been everywhere but to say a man who was the face of pro wrestling going main stream is overrated is beyond me! Perhaps overrated in terms of workrate? Perhaps that's the case but that doesn't seem to be the theme of the list because further down you have Finlay, Regal, Chris Daniels and DEAN MALENKO?! What is this list based on?!?

As for Hunter. I think he's slightly overrated if only for the fact his offerings in-ring have been vastly up and down over the years. In these, his 'twilight' efforts, he's phoned stuff in for me and been a bit of a money spinner with the whole DX thing. MOST overrated is a no go though, there are far more overrated guys like Batista as Dod suggests in his opening post. I was just watching Triple H vs Undertaker at Mania 17 and the way those two guys go about that match is supreme. Go watch they now and tell me his psychology and work rate is overrated. Madness.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
This list made me LOL. Really I think Hunter is a decent guy. Yes he has his bad points, but imo a lot of it is over exageratted and I think some of the stories we heard of him are backstage are complete bs. I mean, yes they won the fued with Legacy, but they still let the kids absolutely own him in a tag match which got them tons of recognition. The same with Sheamus, he let the dude kayfabe injure him, and Sheamus will most probably be regonised for being the man that shortened his career. And yes, he may not be the best of wrestlers in terms of in ring work, but is it all about that? The guy is popular as ever, he can sell sell sell, and draws so much, just like Cena, who obviously isn't on the list for that reason alone. If we're talking overrated? What about Orton, he's been getting worse rather than better, the same can be said for Edge and Punk to an extent. But imo there's not one person overrated, guys get their rating for a variety of things, not just the things they do during a match, they all have good and bad points and imo should be even, no rating above on another.

Reaction score
Miss Elizabeth? What was overrated about her? Her wrestling style? How can a manager/valet be overrated?

This list is complete BS. Dean Malenko? Arn Anderson? Owen Hart? They guys really have no idea what good wrestling is. I'm kinda surprised Cena isn't on the list.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
This is a troll list, and it's working. Not the first place I've seen this list and have seen the exact same reactions. I bet whoever wrote this list is laughing his ass off at the people who are getting angry about it.

UGO sucks and has for a long time.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Wow this list just made me look away. How isn't Batista on this list and how is Del Rio overrated when he just started. A lot of guys don't belong and this is pretty insulting. I will just ignore this.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
It's a troll list:der:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Ignoring the list, since like deezy said it is a troll list, and just answering the question posed in the title I don't think that Triple H is over-rated. He is a talented wrestler and the fact that he is married to the bosses daughter causes a lot of fans to be biased against him. They can't see past that and don't give him the due that he deserves. Has he been helped by the fact that he is now part of the McMahon family? Sure he has but he has only been able to become a huge success because he is a talented wrestler. If he wasn't a good wrestler to begin with no matter how much of a push they received would have been able to get them over.

If I had to pick one wrestler to be the most overrated it would have to be Batista. How that talentless hack became a maineventer and multi-time champion I will never know.

MorrisonFan

Reaction score
Owen Hart?? Why? Because he's dead? Give me a break!

This isn't even a good troll list!

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Troy, I couldn't agree more. I am happy to know I am not the only one that thinks Batista is completely overrated. I know people liked his heel character, but seriously most people can easily be a jock and be a loudmouth. I was never impressed by him.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Allow me to play Batista's advocate here and say, he was a draw. Generally speaking, his time as champion on Smackdown was their best ratings when they moved to Fridays. Also he was great last year during his heel run, I don't think he is as overrated as say Lex Luger or Ultimate Warrior. He definitely wasn't Bret Hart in the ring, but he was able to bring it when it came to matchtime.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Allow me to play Batista's advocate here and say, he was a draw. Generally speaking, his time as champion on Smackdown was their best ratings when they moved to Fridays. Also he was great last year during his heel run, I don't think he is as overrated as say Lex Luger or Ultimate Warrior. He definitely wasn't Bret Hart in the ring, but he was able to bring it when it came to matchtime.

True. Big Dave's probably still up there, but there are more overrated guys.

Jeff Hardy is overrated by wrestling fans. It's been well over 10 years and I still don't understand his popularity.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This is a troll list, and it's working. Not the first place I've seen this list and have seen the exact same reactions. I bet whoever wrote this list is laughing his ass off at the people who are getting angry about it.

UGO sucks and has for a long time.
Yes deezy, but we are on a wrestling forum! Decussing this sort of topic is why we come here, how does doing what we signed up to do make us angry? And personally I don't even know what the word troll means, please explain? Also I find this idea than the people behind it did it just to get a reaction a little strange, surely they did it because it is their opinion, by the sound of it is a very misguarded one, but their opinion none the less.

I think HHH would be on my list of the 25 most overated, but certainly in the lower half. He had very little to offer early in his career, but then started slowly improving when he first became Hunter, and then from about 98-01 was one of the top names in the biz, the heat he drew in that period, the matches and feuds were simply world class. Then since his bad injury in 2001 he has never been the same again. When he puts his mind to it, he can still be of great vaule to WWE, but just doesn't do it often enough, and has not had the great career he once seemed sure to have. So overrated yes, but far from the most overrated. I would say Lex Luger is that because considering he has only been involved in maybe a hand full of good matches during his career, is one of the worse for being lazy, and going from a very well put together atethe to an ungly mess of muscle, had very avenge mic skills, and was booked for so long high up the cards, and bumbed in so many different runs, I think he takes the biscult.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Thank you Wiki.

Basically they are jerkoffs who like to piss people off over the internet. And the best way to do that is to slag their faves, be it wrestling or movies or whatever. Like if I went to a serious website and called Nelson Mandela a terrorist and didn't add nothing more to the convo but that, that would be considered trolling.

Trollface.png