Triple H called for Sheamus to win rumble

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Nodq.com said:
Chris Jericho was pegged to win this year's 30-Man Royal Rumble Match, but Triple H, who has gained even more influence behind the scenes, called for Sheamus to be the decided winner. The final decision was made last week.

The two have been friends since the Irish grappler's promotion to the main roster in the summer of 2009 as the two workout together on the road. In a subsequent interview with Power Slam, he singled out the Celtic Warrior as a wrestler with potential.

Triple H said, "The closest to me is probably Sheamus, because we always train together on the road. But I try to watch all the young guys' matches and give them advice, if they want to hear it. If they take advice to heart and really want to improve, then I'm wanting to help. As for seeing some of myself in someone? That's tough. Sheamus just the other day showed up at a show he didn't have to be at. He does whatever he's asked to do without complaining, he goes to every show and is always wanting to work: he does it all, goes above and beyond. That's what I was like."

Randy Orton was initially pegged as the Rumble victor since he cleanly put over Mark Henry during The World's Strongest Man's rise as World Heavyweight Champion and the event was taking place in his hometown of St. Louis, Missouri. Later, the idea was changed to Jericho, setting up a WWE Championship showdown against CM Punk at WrestleMania XXVIII.

WWE officials contemplated last week having John Cena win the match due to the stipulation that "everyone was eligible" for the Rumble. Cena would win the match and subsequently make a tough decision: take the title shot and not face The Rock at WrestleMania, or give it up for the title match.
Let the Triple H abusing his power bashing begin.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Typical website story.

More speculation. "Sources say" means message boards have been speculating.

Sheamus wins Rumble: OMGZ Trips Butt-Buddy!!! Jericho just came back, should mean he's going to win amiryt? Orton hometown, should win ffs!!

Seen this on F4W and other sites as well.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
That's what I chalk it up to as well. Any chance the internet has a chance to say HHH used his influence to do something they take it.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Let the Triple H abusing his power bashing begin.

Well I stated very recently in this forum, that we as fans underestimate the "Human Factor" that goes along in descisions making. I said that certain wrestlers had close bonds with other wrestlers, who happens to be apart of the top brass. He is rewarding a friend for hard work, and I am OK with it B/C it's a new guy by my standards, who didnt come out of the AE, or the rise of the Cena era.

So for those who will try and liken this to Hulk Hogan durring the NWO era, don't even start. And even though it wasn't my preferred pick, (I sure wish Cody would go train with him), I'm glad it wasn't Cena or Orton who do not need the WWE title, much less a RR victory to remain true superstars.

This can only mean good things for the rest of our favorite up and comers. Good job HHH.

Cornerstone

Reaction score
Hilarious considering some of the sites I've read said that it was Vince who wanted a "surprise" and he chose Sheamus to win over Jericho and Orton.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Hilarious considering some of the sites I've read said that it was Vince who wanted a "surprise" and he chose Sheamus to win over Jericho and Orton.

It is so easy to start a story for the "news sites". Seemed like Meltzer was just pulling stuff out of his ass when people were thinking Sting was going to WWE last year.

Could start a rumour simply by starting a few threads in other messageboards with headlines like "Taker-retired, Punk new locker room leader." "Brock Lesnar re-signs, Triple H to feud in HIAC at 'Mania." And watch as the news sites report it like fact and use words like "sources say".

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
You know, I actually think Triple H made the right decision. Sure it might be a little sketchy but there's no doubt about it, Sheamus has potential and the Rumble win will elevate his career even further. I think we need to accept the fact that Jericho didn't need to win, he'll go into Mania and have the bigger match than Sheamus and that's a fact. I'd rather have someone win the Rumble and benefit from it a lot than have someone win it just because they haven't won it before.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
You know, I actually think Triple H made the right decision. Sure it might be a little sketchy but there's no doubt about it, Sheamus has potential and the Rumble win will elevate his career even further. I think we need to accept the fact that Jericho didn't need to win, he'll go into Mania and have the bigger match than Sheamus and that's a fact. I'd rather have someone win the Rumble and benefit from it a lot than have someone win it just because they haven't won it before.

Hey......Hijacked the op and made it about how internet news sites are shit.

Not triple h bashing/defending and why Sheamus is awesome and why my little nieces and nephews love him.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Couldn't care if its true or not, just glad its happened.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Couldn't care if its true or not, just glad its happened.
This. If the report is true then HHH made the right decision, so well played him.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I would've rather Sheamus won the Rumble over Orton or Cena anyway.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Cena winning the rumble shouldn't have been considered if that was the case. As if people would really even think there was a chance that he would pull out of the match that got set a year in advance.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I like how the report claims that there were four people that were shoeins to win the Rumble. Covering all bases there. In the end Sheamus won because WWE creative aren't that dumb and realised that Jericho is a big enough star that he doesn't need a Rumble win to get into a WM title match whereas Sheamus needed that extra boost. Right decision was made in the end by all involved.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
The right guy won fella and that is the bottom line Triple H may have abused his power in the past but this time he made the right call, and rightfully so Sheamus trains hard he works both show you dont hear a bad thing about him other then him being Triple Hs buddy but even so he was still one of the top workers and he can be a top guy for years to come.

rcoot93

Reaction score
Orton winning would have been well recieved there but Orton is a big enough star already,

Cena winning would have been stupide and would have turned a lot of people off,

Jericho winning I could understand but he didn't need the win to be involved in a title match at mania

Sheamus was the right call he needed the win to make him a bigger star, he already has the crowd support and is a good wrestler, altough to be honest I wasn't that suprised he won and thought it odd when I saw people calling it a surprise win

Reactions: 1 person