TNA Rebrand Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I would personally encompass all of D'Amore's run as the head/co-head decision maker into one era. So basically, 2018-2023 all one era in my mind. Even with plenty of roster turnover still taking place, the overall vibe remained pretty consistent and there were never any big "resets". Guys like Sami, Moose, Eddie, etc. all prevalent throughout.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Honestly this has got me thinking how we're essentially entering the seventh true "era" of TNA.

The Asylum Era 2002-2004: The beginning, great matches and silly booking, Jarretts/Russo/Mantell booking, nice to remember but not great to watch mostly

The Golden Era 2005-2009: The one everyone thinks of with "classic TNA", Kurt Angle and Christian Cage, Cornette/Mantell/Russo, hits its heights in terms of product

The Hogan Era 2009-2013: Commercial height of the company but fan and critical response takes a massive downturn, old guys, Bischoff/Russo/yes-men, then Prichard, then Big John, stars leaving

The Dark Ages 2014-2016: Channel hopping, financial issues out the wazoo, everyone expects that they'll die

The Rebuild Era 2017-2020: Anthem buys the company, full rebrand to Impact, the GFW thing, Scotty D and Don, better creative than the past two eras but no one really noticed

The "Post-Omega" Era 2020-2023: Omega mentions TNA on AEW and people start to take notice, Scotty D and various other bookers, TNA/NJPW relationship revived, rising feeling of optimism

The Re:TNA Era 2024-???: Nobody knows for sure but I'm feeling good
I think the way you broke down these eras is pretty accurate as well. Because I would definitely say 2020 they kind of had a little bit of a downturn again before bouncing back, so I definitely would separate that from the earlier four years.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I would personally encompass all of D'Amore's run as the head/co-head decision maker into one era. So basically, 2018-2023 all one era in my mind. Even with plenty of roster turnover still taking place, the overall vibe remained pretty consistent and there were never any big "resets". Guys like Sami, Moose, Eddie, etc. all prevalent throughout.
I think the beginning of the pandemic definitely saw a major shift for them. They lost a lot of talent and other stuff as someone that was getting into them again in 2020 and then stopped.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
I think a big part of the difference was the crossover factor. Not just AEW but the revival of NJPW inspired Multiverse United (aka the Real Forbidden Door)

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I think a big part of the difference was the crossover factor. Not just AEW but the revival of NJPW inspired Multiverse United (aka the Real Forbidden Door)
I agree with you. Between the pandemic hitting, and AEW starting up, there was a massive shift, in a lot of the way impact was running at the time who they had on their roster and then once the shows started up again, the crossovers definitely changed things.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The Dark Ages 2014-2016: Channel hopping, financial issues out the wazoo, everyone expects that they'll die
Looking over this again this era is just painful and why many of probably stop watching. Which is a shame because I’m looking and I don’t think there’s any other eras without any redeeming qualities. If this one hadn’t happened, who knows how many fans would have stuck around for the Don and Scott rebound.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I think the beginning of the pandemic definitely saw a major shift for them. They lost a lot of talent and other stuff as someone that was getting into them again in 2020 and then stopped.
I don't personally see it. They lost swaths of people when AEW opened. They didn't actually lose that many significant people in 2020. Basically just Tessa and people who were swept up in the speaking out movement. And they had other big shifts in the roster since then with WWE budget cuts and ROH temporarily closing. But I think that through all that, the creative and aesthetic remained steady, which is how I would divide the eras personally.

I suppose. Again, I just don't see those things as being significant enough to divide into their own era. The extent of their working with AEW was ultimately pretty limited to Kenny Omega, Christian and The Good Brothers. I don't think the NJPW relationship has had a massive effect on their programming. I think the runs by Bullet Club and Yuya were good, but nothing game changing.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
A big underrated change is the fact that AEW poached Impact's production guys
I can see this too. Like I definitely noticed a distinctive change in 2020.

ROH and Impact both got killed dealing with a pandemic only a couple months after AEW Dynamite launched. Ouch.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I don't personally see it. They lost swaths of people when AEW opened. They didn't actually lose that many significant people in 2020. Basically just Tessa and people who were swept up in the speaking out movement. And they had other big shifts in the roster since then with WWE budget cuts and ROH temporarily closing. But I think that through all that, the creative and aesthetic remained steady, which is how I would divide the eras personally.

I suppose. Again, I just don't see those things as being significant enough to divide into their own era. The extent of their working with AEW was ultimately pretty limited to Kenny Omega, Christian and The Good Brothers. I don't think the NJPW relationship has had a massive effect on their programming. I think the runs by Bullet Club and Yuya were good, but nothing game changing.
I’d count the AEW losses as well. It’s all part of a noticeable difference. Losing Tessa, Elgin and the Crist Brothers after speaking out was pretty huge. Even for 4 people. OVE was especially a prominent part of the show. This not long after losing LAX, Lucha Brothers, Brian Cage, etc.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
They didn't actually lose that many significant people in 2020. Basically just Tessa and people who were swept up in the speaking out movement.
That's still really big. Tessa was the damn World Champion, Michael Elgin was a main eventer (those two people were originally set for the Slammi 2020 main event), and Joey Ryan and the Crists were both part of a major storyline at the time

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
That's still really big. Tessa was the damn World Champion, Michael Elgin was a main eventer (those two people were originally set for the Slammi 2020 main event), and Joey Ryan and the Crists were both part of a major storyline at the time
I’m glad we agree on this. These weren’t small acts they lost.

And this is not long after losing a lot of names to AEW.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
I'll admit I wasn't a big fan of Michael Elgin even before the shit came out about him... partly because he already had a stink around him

Deadd2009

Horror Movie Guru
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
zEZtX3o
Im surprised they never re-signed some of their legends to build up the star power so to speak, like James Storm. You brought Bully Ray back but not him?

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Im surprised they never re-signed some of their legends to build up the star power so to speak, like James Storm. You brought Bully Ray back but not him?
He likes Billy Corgan I guess.