TNA Impact Wrestling 18th July 2013 - Destination X LIVE Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Well I didn't expect to see Chris Sabin win the title. Reading the match report it is all Bully Ray and doesn't sound like the strongest way to crown a new world champion but we shall see what they do with him in the coming weeks as champion.

Good to see Trent Baretta getting a job with TNA, talented guy but I don't like the new name.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Shocked they would put the title on Sabin, he's not main event material at all.

Guess i'll have to download this show and see what went down.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I don't see him at that level either, Aries was believable but Sabin just doesn't seem like the guy to carry the company. When he returned I thought that he could be a guy to carry the X-Division not the Heavyweight title and am still wondering what the long term plan is with this title change. He has never had the best mic skills so not sure how he is going to go promoting and building a feud when he is quite a weak promo guy.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Happy for Sabin, I've always been a fan of him.

Is he really that over with the crowd to warrant a World title run though? He seems like a strange choice.

Killz

Reaction score
I can't believe (see: will not believe) that hands down the most convincing aspect of the A&8's storyline, Bully Ray as a dominating heel world champion, was effectively fed like an idiot to Sabin. I mean seriously the size of the guy + the storyline build + his last title match with Sting and we're supposed to sit back and be convinced that Sabin's the guy and Sabin can take that punishment and still pull off the win? Moreso, if you say "well he needed the hammer", what was the point of him winning at all?!

It's like Ryback's win at Money in the Bank. Why give a monster heel the school boy roll-up? Why give your new World Heavyweight Champ babyface the cheap inteference/weapon win? It just doesn't make sense for their characters.

This all screamed close but no cigar for the build from Sabin's point of view and a road to redemption. Maybe a win further down the line and, as a twist on last year, the guy having to deal with missing out and having zero titles after cashing in the X-Div title. I'm vaguely interested to see how they play this one off but casual fans sure as hell won't care now that the most compelling character has been made to look stupid.

Baretta looked better in one night than he ever did with WWE and proved what he can do given a bit of time. WWE needs a cruiserweight div for those kind of guys instead of them getting released. Stupid name though.

Overall fun show until the main event.

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
I Think The Win May Get Overturned Giving Sabin Used The Hammer.

Reaction score
Two years in a row, TNA with the whole X-Division Championship cash in has managed to take the belt off a hot and credible champion to a relatively hot-shotted X-Division guy...

Just eugh, funny and disappointing, good for Sabin to win it but another reason why TNA seem to be a financial crisis... Too many bad booking decisions can have a seriously bad effect on the profitability of the company :/.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Sabin is a decent choice for champion IF they use it to promote the company as an alternative. He is great in ring, and even WWE drops titles on guys who cant cut a promo (like Swagger, Benoit, ADR) so that point is moot.

Sabin is younger than most of the main event scene in TNA, so its possible to use him like a workhorse, at every TV and house show event, which could lead to hotter crowds, he has a decent appeal to the crowds already, and there is even the chance TNA can bring back some old viewers when they hear Sabin is the champ.

There is a lot of potential, its just a matter of how it is used from here on out.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
This was a fun show, didn't expect Sabin to win too and like others I'm very skeptical on how he'll do, but that was an awesome moment. I could see them overturning it because of the hammer like [MENTION=10866]punk13[/MENTION] said and that would be hilarious because of how many times Bully's won with the hammer. This won't last long at all, but man it sure did make for a fun moment and this makes them able to push the X Division title a lot better next year around this time since "Option C" is now 2 for 2 on crowning new champions.

Also good to see Barreta get a job with TNA, always liked the dude for what he was in WWE, he'd have some really entertaining matches on NXT, probably one of the best jobbers they had. And he was using his real name, [MENTION=2]Troy[/MENTION] but I don't like it either, too hard to spell.

Cannon

Reaction score
I liked the idea of Sabin winning in theory, but the actual finish fell so flat. The Aries win last year actually felt emotional, like he'd accomplished something huge. Sabin looks like a fluke thanks to the hammer shot and I assume that's the angle they'll run with leading into Bully getting the belt back. It's nice to see Sabin get his shot, but the whole thing comes across as forced and it's completely unconvincing.

Schmidty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
sheamus2
Somebody please tell me the name of Trent Baretta's finisher.

Cannon

Reaction score
Somebody please tell me the name of Trent Baretta's finisher.

I'm not sure what Barreta calls it, but I know it as the Jig 'n' Tonic.

[video=youtube;f-CIpaz_r-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-CIpaz_r-U[/video]

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I'm not sure what Barreta calls it, but I know it as the Jig 'n' Tonic.

[video=youtube;f-CIpaz_r-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-CIpaz_r-U[/video]

How ironic. Wasn't Jigsaw (Rubix) in that match?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Sabin is a decent choice for champion IF they use it to promote the company as an alternative. He is great in ring, and even WWE drops titles on guys who cant cut a promo (like Swagger, Benoit, ADR) so that point is moot.

Sabin is younger than most of the main event scene in TNA, so its possible to use him like a workhorse, at every TV and house show event, which could lead to hotter crowds, he has a decent appeal to the crowds already, and there is even the chance TNA can bring back some old viewers when they hear Sabin is the champ.

There is a lot of potential, its just a matter of how it is used from here on out.

You bring up an interesting point here. Someone like Sabin wouldn't be on too much money so TNA can afford to run him on every single show possible whereas when they had some of their bigger names as champion they would be on restricted dates due to cost.

Also good to see Barreta get a job with TNA, always liked the dude for what he was in WWE, he'd have some really entertaining matches on NXT, probably one of the best jobbers they had. And he was using his real name, @Troy but I don't like it either, too hard to spell.

Haha, my bad. Didn't realise it was his real name.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
You bring up an interesting point here. Someone like Sabin wouldn't be on too much money so TNA can afford to run him on every single show possible whereas when they had some of their bigger names as champion they would be on restricted dates due to cost.

I recall there being a lot of talk about how TNA can do things to change the way the fans view the product, being able to have your champion at nearly every show would be a huge advantage to the house show numbers. They just have to make sure he limits his high risk offence while at the house shows to make sure he is in proper condition for the TV tapings, or if he lasts long enough to make it to a PPV.