TNA TNA gets a Cease and Desist Order for Crazy Steve!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
http://pwinsider.com/article/101194/tna-receives-cease-and-desist-letter-over-current-star.html?p=1

TNA was sent a cease and desist letter in March regarding TNA performer Crazzy Steve and stable The Decay, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

The cease and desist came from Ohio independent wrestler Justin Carnes, who wrestled for years under the ring name Krimson and claims that TNA is "responsible for infringement of certain copyrights that are owned or controlled by Carnes." Carnes has been wrestling since 2000 under several different names beyond Krimson, including Conrad Kennedy III.

The Krimson character (not to be confused with former TNA wrestler Crimson) is an evil clown.

Carnes is specifically claiming that elements of Crazzy Steve's performance in TNA have been directly lifted from Carnes' work as Krimson, including the usage of red mist, as well as Crazzy Steve's mannerisms, costuming and face paint.

Carnes' letter also stated that in 2010, he created a faction known as the "Dead Wrestler's Society" and that Steve, as a member of TNA factor Decay, "replicated the Dead Wrestling Society model and teamed with certain other wrestlers who were similar in style to him, which is also a blatant use of Carnes’s works."

The cease and desist letter requests that TNA cease all usage of the copyrights Carnes is claiming to own and that the company acknowledge in writing that they will comply with these demands by 4/6. The letter noted that should TNA not comply with Carnes' requests, he could follow through with additional legal actions.

TNA sources acknowledged the company did receive the letter and that it has been referred to their legal team.

Crazzy Steve has been a TNA contracted talent since 2014 and is currently in the midst of his biggest storyline to date with The Decay, a story that will play out over the next several episodes of Impact Wrestling. He has been portraying the same character for the entire run of his TNA career, although it has taken a much darker turn over the course of the formation of Decay.

It should be noted that Carnes has worked as an enhancement talent for TNA in the past, dating back as early as 2004.

These guys can't do a damn thing Crazy Steve is now in Decay is planning a whole different clown right now so Justin Carnes who is the guy wanting the character to stop, obviously doesn't watch Impact Wrestling these days. He should of put this order in a year or so ago, too late man. He's a evil Clown and doesn't talk, vs him being a fun loving clown ridding on little bikes.​

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Surely this isn't going to go anywhere. I'm not an expert on copyright but surely you cannot own a gimmick, there are so many similar gimmicks that appear to be like somebody elses, I don't think there's really a claim here.

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Yeah this guy needs to go back to the Cave he's been hiding in.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Well, I don't see why he would send a letter like that without any actual backing of truth to the claim. This will be an interesting thing to watch unfold.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
This entire case is laughable. The owner of Matt Borne's estate should sue them both for infringing on Doink's intellectual property. Or the WWE whoever owns it.

Well, I don't see why he would send a letter like that without any actual backing of truth to the claim. This will be an interesting thing to watch unfold.
His lawyer probably just told him he had a case wanting a piece of the pie.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Crimson should worry more about that domestic violence case he has coming

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I think that's a different Crimson
You're probably right, but I have a feeling this one has a case coming too....its a pro rassler with a clown gimmick.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
You're probably right, but I have a feeling this one has a case coming too....its a pro rassler with a clown gimmick.

Touché

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
I'm here with an update on matters.

TNA is taking the stance that the cease and desist letter from Justin "Krimson" Carnes last week wouldn't hold up in court. PWInsider.com reports that the company's response including citing wrestling wearing facepaint dating back to the 1980's with the Road Warriors, and various wrestling with clown-esque paint. The company also made a point to mention that wrestlers with painted faces are often placed together in stables.

PWInsider says that more than one independent wrestling promoter told them they feel it's silly for Carnes to claim a copyright on his character, since he's allegedly written them looking for bookings describing his character as being based off "The Joker" from DC Comics.

The cease & desist alleged that Crazzy Steve and TNA ripped off his likeness, including mannerisms, costumes, face paint and the red mist. TNA reportedly has no plans to pull Crazzy Steve, who currently holds the tag team titles with Abyss, from TV.