Tiger shoots 77, in danger of missing PGA cut

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Anigma

Reaction score
Ariel could suck my blood anyday lol damn she's so hot

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
JOHNS CREEK, Ga. -- A promising start turned into a shocking disappointment Thursday for Tiger Woods, who made three double bogeys at Atlanta Athletic Club on his way to a 77 during the first round of the PGA Championship.

The 7-over-par total left Woods near the bottom of those who completed the morning wave, well behind leader Steve Stricker, who shot a 63, matching a major championship record.

For Woods, who has won 14 major titles, it was among his worst performances.

"I'm not down, I'm just very angry right now," Woods said after shooting his highest opening round in a major championship and highest ever at the PGA. "I thought I could play by feel, see the shot, hit the shot. I'm not at that point yet."

Woods started nicely Thursday morning, rolling in a birdie putt at the 10th hole (his first), then adding birdies at the 12th and 14th holes. At 3-under par through his first five holes, Woods was tied for the early lead.

But he lost five shots against par on the next four holes, with double bogeys at the 15th and 18th. Tiger added five more bogeys on the front nine, including his third double bogey of the day, at No. 6.

Woods is now in danger of seeing his PGA Tour season come to an end Friday. Woods has never missed the cut in 13 previous PGA Championships, but if he fails to finish among the top 70 and ties, he'll be headed home for the weekend.

And that means he might not be seen again this year on the PGA Tour.

Woods, 35, is 129th in FedEx Cup points and needs to be among the top 125 through next week's Wyndham Championship in order to advance to the first of four playoff events in two weeks.

But Woods said he would be skipping next week's tournament in Greensboro, N.C., due to family obligations. So unless he changes his mind, Woods would miss the four playoff events and it is unlikely he'd be seen on course again unless he plays somewhere overseas.

There are four Fall Series events that follow the Tour Championship next month, but Woods has never played in any of them in their current configuration. The last time he played any of those tournaments was in 2005 at Walt Disney World.

Woods wasn't thinking about any of that Thursday. He talked afterward about how he missed a good opportunity to build on his good start by going away from what got him to that point.

"I was 3 under through five (holes) and figured I could start letting it go, play by instinct and feel," he said. "That screwed up my whole round."

Woods' highest score in a major was an 81 during the third round of the British Open in 2002 at Muirfield, where he played in wind and rain.

Woods missed two major championships this year due to knee and Achilles injuries that kept him from finishing a tournament since a tie for fourth at the Masters in April. He tried to come back at The Players Championship, where he withdrew after nine holes, then shut it down until last week's WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, where he tied for 37th.

ESPN.Com

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Of course, instead of this being about Steve Stricker who put on a hell of around it's about Tiger. I hate this crap.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I don't pay attention to golf that much, but everytime i've gotten into it the past year or so it's all about Tiger Woods, last week he came in 37th place at that tournament they held and espn made him look like a million bucks by saying he hadn't played in a while, and he was coming of injuries and made 37th place seem almost as good as being in in the top 10. It does get annoying and I don't think he's the best in the world anymore.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
JOHNS CREEK, Ga. (AP) - Tiger Woods' stunning downfall has gotten worse: He missed the cut at the PGA Championship.

The player who once dominated golf headed home Friday after shooting a 10-over 150 at Atlanta Athletic Club.

With no one seizing control of the tournament, this became another day to focus on Woods' collapse, his career in tatters because of personal failings and a broken game.

Consecutive double-bogeys at the 11th and 12th holes ruined any hopes he had of making it to the weekend. He finished with a 3-over 73 on the heels of an opening-round 77.

"I hit 20 bunkers in two days. I had four or five water balls," Woods said. "That's not going to add up to a very good score."

Woods finished in appropriate fashion at the 18th, putting his tee shot in the bunker, his second shot in the water and finishing with a bogey. He was projected to miss the cut by a staggering six shots.

Woods was on the sideline for three months - missing the last two majors - because of an injured leg. He returned a week ago at Firestone, proclaiming himself fully fit and ready to go for his 15th major title.

He wound up missing the cut in one of golf's biggest events for only the third time in his professional career, following the 2006 U.S. Open at Winged Foot (shortly after the death of the his father) and the British Open at Turnberry two years ago.

Now, he'll be dropping out of public view again for another long layoff. He won't attempt to qualify for the FedEx Cup playoff, so his next tournament will be in November when he heads to Australia.

His next shot at a major is eight months away, at the Masters.

"I get some time off again," Woods said. "But now I'm healthy enough to work on my game. It's going to be good. Sean (Foley, his coach) and I did not really have an opportunity to sit down and do a lot of work. This will be our time."

There's a lot of work to do.

Woods had a glimmer of hope after closing the front side with back-to-back birdies, pushing him to even-par on the day and three shots off the projected cut.

But it all fell apart at the 11th hole, which Woods played like an average duffer. He put his tee shot in a bunker. He knocked his approach into another pit of sand left of the green. From an awkward lie, he put his left foot sideways on the grass and tried to pull off a delicate shot with water looming on the other side.

Woods got too much of the ball, which sped across the green and plopped into the pond. He wound up making double bogey, pretty much finishing off his hopes.

At the next hole, he didn't appear to care anymore.

His drive sailed into the trees left of the 12th fairway, forcing him to punch out. Then he unleashed a wild, one-handed shot with a wood from the first cut, letting go of the club as the ball whizzed right back into the towering pines.

Woods wound up with another double-bogey, his fifth in two days - the first time he's ever made that many doubles in any professional tournament.

He pulled himself together and made a couple of birdies, but it didn't matter at that point. At the final hole, he drove into a fairway bunker and didn't come close to clearing the water with his approach.

Forget making the cut; Woods didn't even beat five of the 20 PGA of American club pros who were in the field.

Even so, he tried to put a positive spin on his miserable performance.

"It's a step back in the sense I didn't make the cut," Woods said. "But it's a giant leap forward in that I played two straight weeks and I'm healthy. It's going to be great for my practice sessions coming up. Now I'll be able to work and get after it."

If Woods missing the cut was the biggest surprise, the golfers at the top of the leaderboard were close behind.

Keegan Bradley, playing in his first major, shot a 64. Jason Dufner, who had missed the cut in five of his last six events, made 65. Both were at 5-under 135.

Steve Stricker came into the round with a two-stroke lead after a bogey-free 63 - tied for the lowest score ever in a major and just a hair away from having the record all to himself. He missed a 10-footer for birdie at his final hole Thursday.

There would be a lot more of those on Friday. Suddenly, one of the game's steadiest putters couldn't make one, lipping out a couple of short attempts and ceding the lead with four bogeys on the front side.

Jim Furyk (65), D.A. Points (67) and John Senden (68) were one shot behind the leaders at 136. Stricker and another American veteran, Scott Verplank, were also at 4 under coming to the end of their rounds.

"It feels great," Points said, "but it's only Friday. It's going to feel a lot better when it's Sunday."

Rory McIlroy hasn't given up challenging on the weekend, even after struggling to a 73 that included a triple bogey. He was eight shots off the lead.

Just making it through the first two days was an accomplishment for McIlroy, given what he did on his third hole of the tournament. The 22-year-old from Northern Ireland strained a tendon when he foolishly took a swing with his ball sitting against a thick tree root Thursday.

He considered quitting a couple of times, but felt comfortable about carrying on after getting an MRI and being told by the medical staff that he couldn't do any more damage. With a heavily taped arm and wrist, he carried on another day - and did well enough to make it to the weekend.

"If it wasn't a major," he said, "I probably would've stopped."

McIlroy blew away the field at Congressional two months ago with a record-setting 16-under score. He's become the new face of the game with Woods struggling, arriving at this course in Atlanta's sprawling northern suburbs as the favorite.

That ill-advised swing might have ruined his chances.

McIlroy said his wrist didn't hurt as much in the second round. Actually, a shaky putter was his main problem.

"I feel like I'm hitting the ball OK," he said. "I gave myself a few chances but I just didn't putt very well at all. I'm struggling on the greens this week."

There was also a misjudged tee shot at the par-3 17th.

Torn between clubs, he actually went for a little more distance with a 6-iron. But he took a little bit off his swing, got the ball a little too high and watched in disbelief as a slight breeze carried it into the water. He had to take a drop, then three-putted.

Coming off a 40-foot birdie putt at the 16th that got him into the red, the triple bogey was a momentum killer. "It was tough to come back from that," McIlroy said.

But he's not conceding the Wanamaker Trophy to anyone.

"I hope to make a good run at it the next couple of days," McIlroy said. "I feel as if I can still make birdies out there. If I didn't think I could contend, I probably wouldn't be playing."

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Someone highlight the parts that aren't about Tiger and are about golfers that are actually playing well.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Haha i'm getting all of this info right from ESPN dude they're obsessed with the guy, but hey he's out now so whatever hah.

Killswitch

Reaction score
It's sad and painful to watch him slide down the rankings but they aren't a reflection of his ability. No matter what anyone says, you can't lose talent. If his injury problems clear up (and I can't imagine they're gonna go on forever), watch him reclaim his position on top (of the golfing world, not random whores).

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah, i think one day he'll be ranked number one again but he's gotta get over the injuries and re-focus on what made him the best golfer in the world.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
JOHNS CREEK, Ga. -- A rally that ranks among the best. A collapse hardly anyone saw coming. There was even a guy in a red shirt Sunday, pumping his fists with each clutch putt in the final, frenzied hour of the PGA Championship.

In a major filled with unfamiliar names, Keegan Bradley delivered an unforgettable finish.

Bradley was five shots behind with only three holes to play after his chip shot raced across the 15th green and into the water, leading to a triple bogey. That's when he reminded himself that no lead was safe on the final four holes at Atlanta Athletic Club.

"I just kept telling myself, 'Don't let that hole define this whole tournament,'" Bradley said.

Instead, it led to one of the most stunning turnarounds in a major. Bradley made back-to-back birdies, including a 35-footer with a belly putter that rattled into the cup on the 17th.

Then came a monumental meltdown by Jason Dufner. Unflappable all afternoon, he hit his tee shot in the water on the 15th for the first of three straight bogeys that led to a three-hole playoff.

Bradley birdied the 16th hole in the playoff -- his first outright lead of the day -- and went on to win by one shot.

The son of a PGA professional in Vermont, wearing red for his alma mater -- St. John's -- Bradley became only the third player in at least 100 years to win a major championship in his first try.

The Wanamaker at his side, Bradley took out his cellphone and took a picture of the oversized trophy. It wasn't long before he posted it on Twitter with three hash tags -- "pgachampion. triplebogies. happiness."

"It feels unbelievable," he said. "It seems like a dream and I'm afraid I'm going to wake up here in the next five minutes and it's not going to be real."

The final major of the year was hard to believe in so many ways.

It was Bradley, a 25-year-old PGA Tour rookie who was ranked No. 108 in the world, who ended America's longest drought in a major that had reached six. He became only the third player in at least 100 years to win a major on his first try.

All this after Tiger Woods missed the cut and finished out of the top 100 for the first time in a major, and U.S. Open champion Rory McIlroy -- the favorite at the PGA -- hit a tree root in the opening round and played the rest of the week with his right wrist heavily taped. He tied for 64th and finished 19 shots behind.

Then came the finish -- a rousing rally for Bradley, a sad collapse for Dufner. It brought back memories of Ed Sneed making bogey on the last three holes of the 1979 Masters, and even Arnold Palmer losing a seven-shot lead with nine holes left in the 1966 U.S. Open.

Dufner played that four-hole finish in 3 under for the week -- never once making a bogey -- until the final round.

Sunday was different. He made three bogeys in regulation, another on the 17th in the playoff to fall two shots behind, and a birdie on the last hole in the playoff only made the score seem closer than it was. Dufner, now winless in 148 starts, closed with a 69.

"Everybody has struggled on them," Dufner said of the final four holes. "Unfortunately, I had the lead and I struggled on them. ... That was the deciding factor, and Keegan made a couple birdies there, and I made a couple bogeys."

Bradley, best known until now as the nephew of LPGA great Pat Bradley, moved to No. 29 in the world. He won earlier this year at the Byron Nelson Championship in a playoff, again after the leader faded on the closing holes.

The win makes it seven straight majors by players who had never before captured a Grand Slam event, the longest streak ever.

Bradley, who became the first major champion to use a long putter, can only hope more will follow.

"I don't want to be one of the guys that kind of disappears," Bradley said. "I would love to be up in a category with the best players and be mentioned with Phil Mickelson, one of my idols. I hope I don't disappear. I don't plan to."

Mickelson had been the last American to win a major at the 2010 Masters, and perhaps it was only fitting that one of his proteges ended the drought. Mickelson has been playing money games during practice rounds at the big tournaments with Bradley, wanting him to be prepared to play for something more prestigious than cash. The kid must have taken the lessons to heart.

He never gave up when he had every reason to do just that.

"This guy's the guttiest player I've ever worked for," said his caddie, Steven "Pepsi" Hale. "There's no quit."

Bradley was two shots behind when he arrived at the pivotal stretch of the course. From left of the 15th green, he hit an aggressive chip that came out too hot and rolled into the water, leading to a triple bogey.

Dufner watched it all unfold from high on the hill as he waited on the 15th tee, his lead suddenly up to four shots over Anders Hansen, who was in the process of making bogey. For the first time all day, Dufner showed a trace of emotion, wincing slightly when he saw the flight of his tee shot take the ball into the water right of the green.

He still poured in a 12-foot putt to at least escape with bogey. His lead was still four shots, and when he split the middle of the 16th fairway, he seemed to be on his way.

Then came an unlikely chain of events.

Bradley stuffed his shot into 8 feet for birdie on the 16th. Behind him in the final group, Dufner hit into the right bunker, blasted out to 10 feet and made bogey. Now his lead was down to two shots.

Dufner arrived on the 17th tee in time to watch as Bradley rattled in a 35-foot putt, pumping his fists as his caddie stood behind the hole holding the flag over his head with both arms. Dufner did well to find the middle of the green for what appeared to be a safe two-putt par. But he ran his first putt 10 feet by the hole and three-putted for bogey.

Just like that, they were tied.

With the pressure as great as it had been all day, both played the 18th the same way -- dry. Both had long two-putts for par from one side of the green to the other. They finished at 8-under 272.

Dufner's 5-iron on the opening hole of the playoff -- the uphill 16th -- came within an inch of hitting the hole and stopped 6 feet away. Bradley answered with a shot into 4 feet and made the birdie, while Dufner missed his putt.

On the 17th, Dufner again three-putted for bogey to give Bradley a two-shot lead going to the 18th. The final drama for Bradley was watching his 6-iron descend toward the green, clearing the lake with not much room to spare. Dufner rolled in a birdie, but by then it was too late to recover from his mistakes.

"I'm so new at this situation, I don't know if I appreciate it as much as I will -- soon," Dufner said. "I might look back in 10 or 15 years and be disappointed if I never get another chance."

They finished one shot ahead of Hansen, whose lone bogey of the final round -- on the 16th hole -- kept him out of the playoff. The Dane closed with a 66, matching the best score of the final round.

The group tied for fourth included 2001 champion David Toms (67) and two others who stayed in the game until the very end.

Robert Karlsson got within one shot of the lead with a 5-foot eagle putt on the 12th hole. The Swede never made another birdie, though, and finished with three straight bogeys for a 67. Scott Verplank holed out a bunker shot on the 16th and was tied with Bradley going to the 17th, but his tee shot bounced off the wall and into the water for a double bogey. He closed with a 70.

Congratulations.