• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Thunderbolt Patterson to be inducted into WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2024

Dale

Super Moderator

Thunderbolt Patterson to be inducted into WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2024​

20240307_HOF24_Thunderbolt_FC--83584a5404b99619bbf0e1c14ff0c853.jpg
As first reported by Andscape, Thunderbolt Patterson will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2024.

A hugely influential, although often overlooked, figure in sports-entertainment history, Patterson’s captivating abilities on the microphone inspired a generation of talkers that followed in his footsteps.

Growing up in Iowa, Patterson moved to Texas and worked with legendary promoter Dory Funk Sr. (father of WWE Hall of Famers Dory Funk Jr. and Terry Funk) where he began performing incredible interviews using a delivery inspired by Black Southern pastors.

Patterson backed up his talents on the microphone in the ring as he captured titles across North America while defeating iconic opponents like Bruiser Brody and WWE Hall of Famer The Sheik. Thunderbolt was also a decorated tag team competitor, most famously teaming with Ole Anderson before their partnership erupted into a brutal rivalry, which helped launch the legendary Four Horsemen.

Patterson was also a contemporary of WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes, and was often credited with inspiring The American Dream’s charismatic persona.

Patterson’s work as a captivating performer was self-evident, but he was also a fierce advocate for the health and welfare of competitors outside of the ring.

His legacy as a showman with his signature quick punches, his incredible blend of power and speed, and his compassion for his fellow man live on as his influence can still be seen in the ring today​

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Nice. Long time coming for ol' Thunderbolt.

Dusty borrowed the persona of Patterson and took it to the world stage, but Patterson was extremely popular in the territories in the 60s and 70s.

And then he started threatening to sue people for discrimination in order to get work from promotions in the 80s :heston

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
I'll be honest. I got no idea who he is, but I'm glad he's getting the recognition he deserves. Apparently according to Wikipedia he's still alive too.

Guys like him are why I like the HOF. I get to hear about guys that have been pretty much lost to history.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
I don't think I know him either. I have read some things to see if I had probaby heard of him but just forgotten, but I don't think so. I'll be interested to learn more about him.

Chris

Dreams are Endless

The WWE announced legendary professional wrestler Thunderbolt Patterson, who appeared in Marion in the 1960s and '70s, would be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on April 5 in Philadelphia.

In his first interview after the announcement was made, Patterson spoke with Scott Spears on "Now With Scott Spears" on WGH Talk radio in Marion.

"I feel good," Patterson told Spears when asked about his reaction to the induction. "It's something that I dreamed about, and if it had not been for the Lord, it would not have happened."

Patterson, who has appeared on WGH at many times since 2016, said if it was not for wrestling personalities Geraldo Brisco and Bruce Prichard, journalist Mike Mooneyham and Spears for "keeping him alive," induction into the Hall of Fame would not be happening.

Radio host to present at induction ceremony​

Patterson has asked Spears to be his presenter during the April 5 induction ceremony, which will be broadcast live at 10 p.m. on the Peacock Network.

"This is such an honor for me," Spears said. "I have been friends with Thunderbolt for many years, and there is no one more deserving of this honor than him. For him to ask me to induct him is one of the great honors I have ever received, and I don't take that lightly."

"I have been a fan of pro wrestling over the years, and the WWE has been nothing but great during this process," he added.

Spears is an Associated Press award-winning journalist who has interviewed such people as Dr. Maya Angelou, Bill Cosby, Phil Donahue, Betty White and Larry King along with five Ohio governors.