Thoughts on Taz

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Double J

Reaction score
OK so I was half and half about Taz replacing Don West. While I didn't really care for West and somewhat liked Taz on Smackdown, I didn't like that TNA was adding a former WWE announcer to their broadcasting team.

I've been playing hockey on Thursday nights for the past month or two so I've been recording Impact and just watching them when I get a chance. I ended up having like 3 piled up so I watched them all right before watching BFG. After seeing that many episodes back to back, I really see now how bad Taz really is as an announcer.

He makes a ton of mistakes with names and who's who and who's doing what. You don't really notice it if you watch just one Impact, you hear him make a mistake and it's like "Oh well, shit happens." and you move on. No, he makes them constantly. He's calls the wrong people the wrong name, it's like he's forgotten what certain moves are called, some matches one guy is getting beat up but he'll say it's the other,ect,ect.

I actually regret watching all that TNA in one day because everytime I watch Impact and hear Taz say something stupid I just cringe and think "This guy has been in wrestling for how long".

It may sound like I'm exagerating, for the next couple of impacts really listen to Taz and see how many times Tenay corrects him or talks over him to cover up something he said. I don't know why the change is so hard but it's like WWE's Taz and TNA's Taz are two different people and he's really not that great compared to guys like Tenay, Stryker, Griffen, and the other guys in WWE.

I've always liked Taz since ECW, but I really wish they would of kept him with Samoa Joe and just found a new guy to replace Don West.

MizMasta3000

I was on the up and up about JBL coming to brodcast TNA and I was happy to see a heel taz as Joe's advisor. JBL shut down TNA rumors but y did taz stop the MEM thing?

Anyways, I say this time and again, Taz is having a difficult transition from WWE to TNA. I feel like hes a kid int the candy store reminiscing his ECW and WWE memories with Team 3D and such but he has to save that backstage. calling Brother Ray 'buh buh' or refering to VKM in a muscle fitness reference is uncalled for(poor effort by tenay by covering it up by saying "Vince Russo?")

The fact of the matter is that Taz needs to get it together

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
He doesn't seem to be taking his role that serious imo. He just jokes around alot, alittle too much. But as far as his botches, he's in a new company with alot of name he's never worked with. A whole new generation of wrestlers, so there's going to be botches with stuff like that.

noumenon

It's not so much the mistakes....JR makes more than anyone and he's the best announcer out there.
Taz always seems to be telling a side story. And about shit that is completely irrelevant to TNA and whats going on. He'll often be telling an old ECW story...especially when 3D is wrestling.
I don't know why they dropped the thing with him and Samoa Joe... I thought that could have been awesome.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
Especially since Don West was actually entertaining when they made the change, really didn't make since to me.

gashface

Reaction score
It does seem like Taz is constantly out of kayfabe on the commentary desk, I enjoy his not so constantly talking style, which did my head in with Tenay and Don West, but to be honest, Don West was more entertaining. I don't like Tenay if anything, but yeah Taz has definately not impressed me.

Airfixx

Bearing in mind Foley in part left the SD broadcast booth and thus the WWE because of Vince in his ear all the way through the show, maybe, just maybe, some former SD announcers actually needed that?

Is Taz currently un-directed?

Double J

Reaction score
I really thought his little story about the tag match where he broke his neck was just like the MCMG match was a little to much. Sabin was barely able to lift his arm up to tag Shelly and wasn't able to craw out of the ring and Taz is talking about "Oh, I've been in this spot before, this is just like when I broke my neck."....

I agree even more now with Kevin Nash and his rant about how TNA handled that match....