• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Thoughts on Roman

CinciOmega

Jobber
Reaction score
First off, I have a high disdain for Roman. However after watching Bret Hart's wrestling with Shadows documentary last night I have some thoughts.

Maybe Roman could of worked if he was marketed different.

He's been marketed as "The Big Dog!"

Basically he's been pushed to be the guy. Who was "The guy" before him. The two biggest ones Cena and Hogan. Hart filled the roll for a bit. Austin and rock as well but they were attitude Era and that marched to the beat of its own drum.

Hogan, Bret and Cena all have something in common. They are the hero of the children.

What if instead of saying "here's the big dog" they said "here's the children's hero"?

What if they never adopted "The Big Dog" and gave him a moniker like "The Last Knight" and gave him the heart of a warrior?

Personally I can't stand Roman. However if it was pushed in the light like im suggesting, I think things could of been different.

Thoughts?

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
First off, I have a high disdain for Roman. However after watching Bret Hart's wrestling with Shadows documentary last night I have some thoughts.

Basically he's been pushed to be the guy. Who was "The guy" before him. The two biggest ones Cena and Hogan. Hart filled the roll for a bit. Austin and rock as well but they were attitude Era and that marched to the beat of its own drum.

Hogan, Bret and Cena all have something in common. They are the hero of the children.

What if instead of saying "here's the big dog" they said "here's the children's hero"?

What if they never adopted "The Big Dog" and gave him a moniker like "The Last Knight" and gave him the heart of a warrior?

Personally I can't stand Roman. However if it was pushed in the light like im suggesting, I think things could of been different.

Thoughts?
Make him heel.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Roman is the all around greatest wrestler to step foot in a WWE ring in this decade. Period. He's a big draw and everyone in the back respects him and enjoys working with him

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Roman is the all around greatest wrestler to step foot in a WWE ring in this decade. Period. He's a big draw and everyone in the back respects him and enjoys working with him
While I agree that he’s a great wrestler, I don’t feel he’s the greatest in the last decade. I feel that’s highly debatable. You had Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, AJ Styles, John Cena, Kevin Owens, Chris Jericho, Seth Rollins, The Miz, and Bray Wyatt; and you don’t feel any of those in the past decade were better than Roman at all?... crazy.

He’s a big draw, and he’s well respected, yes... but he can literally do nothing else but wrestle. Good for Roman.

I think that Roman is overall a good wrestler. I like the guy, actually, and usually enjoy his matches. But he needs a mix up. He’s misplaced. Hes forced. He needs a character rebuild. He has the look, persona, and wrestling ability that makes him a draw, whether people want to boo or cheer, but he doesn’t even come close to drawing like Cena did. With that being said, Roman needs to be heel.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Totally agree. Even then though, would need to be done right I think.

I'm just saying, if he was marketed different maybe he could of been the top guy. It is really a work of beauty how they ruined him. I mean was was seriously the muscle of the OG shield
Agreed to an extent...but you can only polish a turd so much. Roman isn’t a face, no matter how much they want him to be. A guy like Cena, Styles, DB, Punk... those can be faces and Work... they fit the role... Roman doesn’t. His lame ass promos aren’t cutting it.... he’s a natural bad ass heel.

Reaction score
Right now he isn't shown me anything. His promo against cena made me feel sorry for him. Hell even cena felt sorry burying him. They can make him fall of the cell and kick out but he still won't be over as over. As stone cold the rock cena punk daniel bryan randy orton. Btw i feel like randy orton has been shit on but that guys heel run in 2009 was platinium stuff. Too bad the pg system doesn't let his dick side get over

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not allowed to mention...the guy this thread is about...

Apparently threads like this...even if they are filled with
negative comments...are helping the WWE achieve their
goal and will eventually get "him" over.

I'm not sure how...ask someone more intelligent than me...

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
I'm not allowed to mention...the guy this thread is about...

Apparently threads like this...even if they are filled with
negative comments...are helping the WWE achieve their
goal and will eventually get "him" over.

I'm not sure how...ask someone more intelligent than me...
If Ur not allowed to mention "That Guy", Then why reply to a Thread thats about the "Guy U cant mention"? IM just curious... :)

• Haha
Reactions: Crash

CinciOmega

Jobber
Reaction score

Greatest wrestler in the last decade?

Until he finally has a five star match I think it's safe to say this is a stretch. Truth be told, he has zero five star matches. Hes been in one 4.75 but you can't really credit that to him since it was a 4-way

And even if he does finally have a 5 star, Omega and Okada I'm sure will have something to say about him being the best

CinciOmega

Jobber
Reaction score
Agreed to an extent...but you can only polish a turd so much. Roman isn’t a face, no matter how much they want him to be. A guy like Cena, Styles, DB, Punk... those can be faces and Work... they fit the role... Roman doesn’t. His lame ass promos aren’t cutting it.... he’s a natural bad ass heel.

I see what you mean

I don't think Bret was ever the best promo. He didn't really need to be a promo guy though. Also the edge that gave Bret the okay to not be a great promo guy, Reigns doesn't have that, so not a great comparison.

Reigns has probably had some of the most atrocious promos ever. Idono if its just me but I feel like the WWE is heavily scripted these days and you can tell. It's not good and I think those scripts don't help roman.

Reactions: edge4ever

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa

Thoughts?
Nice thought, but no. That's not how you market someone like Roman Regins. You don't PG a wrestler; that's the kiss of death for wrestlers. You want to to market a character universally, not "just to kids." You need to market the character to everyone. My mom for example; she's a casual watcher of WWE, the only thing she knows is "The Rock," "Stone Cold Steve Austin," "Hulk Hogan," but beyond that, she doesn't know much how wrestling actually works. When I told her that Roman is cousin to The Rock, she lit up and said he's cute. So, the marketing is there, it's just ...Vince needs to be more "hands off" of Roman and allow the WWE marketing machine to do its work.

Roman has the respect of fans, it's just that he's been pushed too soon, according to the Internet Wrestling Community (IWC). Roman Reigns does not have to be heel to be over, he just needs to work his ass off to make sure that this "Roman Reigns" character sticks. It's not the fact that they're marketing Reigns as "the big dog" the problem, the problem is too fast, too soon. On the flip-coin, WWE can't just sit back and allow the fans to tell Vince which one is the "top dog." The crowd is usually mixed in who are the top draws of the company. So, they hand-picked Roman to be the "guy."

When Austin left WWE, we had a clear draw: The Rock. When Cena left, we had Brock Lesnar. When Brock Lesnar left, it was Daniel Bryan. When Daniel Bryan announced his retirement, that door was swinging wide open. WWE had to ask themselves "Who's the new Top Guy?" In came mother fucking Shield, but they were cheered together... there wasn't a single person they could pick as the "guy." So, to fix the problem, they turned Rollins heel and gave him a champioship run. Ambrose went off on his midcard run because of his gimmick. Roman went onto his own, was booed constantly because he was chosen as the guy to go to Wrestlemania, instead of Bryan. So, I mean... it was never Roman's talent that made fans boo him. It was WWE's booking.

JBan

Reaction score
Nice thought, but no. That's not how you market someone like Roman Regins. You don't PG a wrestler; that's the kiss of death for wrestlers. You want to to market a character universally, not "just to kids." You need to market the character to everyone. My mom for example; she's a casual watcher of WWE, the only thing she knows is "The Rock," "Stone Cold Steve Austin," "Hulk Hogan," but beyond that, she doesn't know much how wrestling actually works. When I told her that Roman is cousin to The Rock, she lit up and said he's cute. So, the marketing is there, it's just ...Vince needs to be more "hands off" of Roman and allow the WWE marketing machine to do its work.

Roman has the respect of fans, it's just that he's been pushed too soon, according to the Internet Wrestling Community (IWC). Roman Reigns does not have to be heel to be over, he just needs to work his ass off to make sure that this "Roman Reigns" character sticks. It's not the fact that they're marketing Reigns as "the big dog" the problem, the problem is too fast, too soon. On the flip-coin, WWE can't just sit back and allow the fans to tell Vince which one is the "top dog." The crowd is usually mixed in who are the top draws of the company. So, they hand-picked Roman to be the "guy."

When Austin left WWE, we had a clear draw: The Rock. When Cena left, we had Brock Lesnar. When Brock Lesnar left, it was Daniel Bryan. When Daniel Bryan announced his retirement, that door was swinging wide open. WWE had to ask themselves "Who's the new Top Guy?" In came mother fucking Shield, but they were cheered together... there wasn't a single person they could pick as the "guy." So, to fix the problem, they turned Rollins heel and gave him a champioship run. Ambrose went off on his midcard run because of his gimmick. Roman went onto his own, was booed constantly because he was chosen as the guy to go to Wrestlemania, instead of Bryan. So, I mean... it was never Roman's talent that made fans boo him. It was WWE's booking.
This is possibly the best explanation of Roman I've ever seen. I couldn't agree more with ya, m8. Nice job.