This has to be the most obvious comparison ever made but...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CMS

Reaction score
You know, there are times when certain subjects are talked about so much in here that we tend to lose perspective and actually start believing are true. Like, for example, Christian being the one who attacked Jeff Hardy between many other subjects.

Now, we have talked about how Randy Orton is being made into a new Stone Cold many people could think this as a fact, but I think this should be brought into the light now, because actually for the first time, I saw WWE make this dead clear.

His RKO was used as the stunner. He even went out an did it on a celebrity, classic trait of Austin, in which he would stun anybody. Then, and this is the important bit. Michael Cole on commentary. He first said "Good Ol' Randy Orton", painfully akin to JR and Austin, and then said "The man simply known as the Viper" an obvious attempt to set that as the new Rattlesnake.

I'm sorry if this may come as beating a dead horse, but it's just that I hadnt seen any real indication of any of the comparisons between the two from WWE until now.

Reaction score
I agree with you i think orton is the next austin . Simular finishers , both had a rivalry with Vince mcmaohn . Both nick names are named after a snake. They also have two of the best taunts in the WWE . but there is one diffrence orton has 2 finishers and austin has 1.

maty619

Reaction score
I agree with you i think orton is the next austin . Simular finishers , both had a rivalry with Vince mcmaohn . Both nick names are named after a snake. They also have two of the best taunts in the WWE . but there is one diffrence orton has 2 finishers and austin has 1.

Wow! There are actually more similarities than I have noticed before. Never thought about them being named after snakes and they both had feuds with McMahon. Kinda seems like WWE is trying to mirror them.

Reaction score
There are a few more differences: Orton's feud with the McMahons came when he was a heel and I don't think he ever had a one on one match with Vince. Orton doesn't have a catchphrase that gets the crowd rockin'. Orton doesn't have his own "Rock", Cena is close, but I don't know if they are Austin-Rock

I do see the slight similarities, but the differences are glaring too. Austin was a fast paced brawler and Orton is slow and methodical. Orton doesn't talk as boisterously as Austin. Plus if the E is trying to create another Austin, they shouldn't. They tried creating another Hulk Hogan in Lex Luger (slamming the unslammable Yoko, being an All American, loving the kids) and it failed, the only way to create a new ultra face is to always go in a different direction. Austin was the anti-thesis of Hogan and he took off faster than a rocket, Cena is somewhat of a median of Austin and Hogan and he's doing great, but to try and totally take one formula won't work.

Jon Honcho

Reaction score
Randy Orton and Steve Austin are about as similar as diarrhea and flowers. Austin's charisma was Hogan-esque and had the crowd eating from the palm of his hand. Orton is a great wrestler with boring mic work and no real identity.

CMS

Reaction score
Then again, Austin charisma didn't really shown until after his big feud with Mcmahon. For many time, Austin really shined when he would come out, not saying a word, and blasting everybody with Stunners. Very very similar to what Orton has been doing.

Now, Enzo has a point in their in ring styles, but then again, we're not saying they are identical, and I'm mainly talking about their characters, leaving slightly out their in ring style. In fact, WWE spent 2008-2009 building the Viper persona as someone uncontrolable, calculating, sick, and now, suddenly, and truly akin to Stone Cold, they are emphasizing out of their character the "snakes can strike out of nowhere" thing.

Of course they're not identical. Orton is not throwing beer bashes after his matches, but in the build up of Orton into a badass babyface, which I don't think nobody can deny is happening, they are taking a similar route than the one they took with Austin

xtremebadass

Reaction score
Orton is definitely the next Austin. Eventhough he is face, he doesn't suck up to the audience. He keeps the badass vibe in and out of the ring that would probably more characterize a heel better, but still the fans cheer. I love the new Orton and am glad they turned Edge heel over Orton.

...god...

Reaction score
You forgot to mention probably the biggest and most blatantly obvious Austin-esque thing that Orton did which was RKO Swagger after he lost to him at Extreme Rules.